• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori steps down from captaincy

Andre

International Regular
Yep, six is his spot. Franklin for all his supposed promise, is hopeless. Vettori does the job he is good at with the ball, but at best he hopes to go for under 2 an over, and has no wicket taking ability.
Reckon Vettori at 7 makes a lot of sense with the keeper at 8. Can't see many of the keepers (outside of McCullum) used by NZ of late making Test hundreds like Vettori so I'd bat the keeper at 8. 6 seems a touch high for him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon the whole Vettori-Franklin debate is a bit silly tbh if you're talking about who should bat 6. The biggest problem with our bowling isn't Vettori (who does take wickets albeit only in the first innings) but with the other 3 strike bowlers. Martin has been decent, Southee has shown promise but failed to deliver and the third option still remains entirely open.

We can't possibly be fathoming a team that has Vettori as the 5th bowling option when we can't even field 3 proper bowlers to play beside him.

Flem274*

123/5
Reckon the whole Vettori-Franklin debate is a bit silly tbh if you're talking about who should bat 6. The biggest problem with our bowling isn't Vettori (who does take wickets albeit only in the first innings) but with the other 3 strike bowlers. Martin has been decent, Southee has shown promise but failed to deliver and the third option still remains entirely open.

We can't possibly be fathoming a team that has Vettori as the 5th bowling option when we can't even field 3 proper bowlers to play beside him.
We need all the bowling we can get. Four man attack with Vettori means three strike bowlers of dubious strikepower as things stand.

Maybe when the young guns are established in the side we can go with three seamers plus Vettori (though Vettori may well be in his mid 30s by then), but not now.

It's also a waste having Vettori batting with the tail. His batting could do so much more damage at six compared with eight. His main batting partners atm are Franklin, Young and Southee. One is a bowler and the other two are hardly established, though Young looks a good batsman. Get Vettori in with Taylor, Ryder et al at the wicket.

Howsie

International Captain
Reckon Vettori at 7 makes a lot of sense with the keeper at 8. Can't see many of the keepers (outside of McCullum) used by NZ of late making Test hundreds like Vettori so I'd bat the keeper at 8. 6 seems a touch high for him.
I don't think anyone would argue that Vettori isn't a better batsmen then any New Zealand keeper that isn't named Brendon McCullum, but Vettori's very adept at batting with the tail and players like Reece Young have had most of there batting success at the domestic level batting in the middle order. The last thing you need is someone who is trying to prove themself with the bat at this level coming in and having to bat with the tail a good percentage of the time, especially when it hasn't been a feature of there game at the lower level.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dropkins really didn't look remotely comfortable batting with the tail, Young has batted a fair amount at 3 and I'd imagine he may like it even less.

Vettori IMO has developed his game around batting with McCullum, Oram and the tail. I don't think he'd score anymore runs at #6 than he would at #8.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dropkins really didn't look remotely comfortable batting with the tail, Young has batted a fair amount at 3 and I'd imagine he may like it even less.

Vettori IMO has developed his game around batting with McCullum, Oram and the tail. I don't think he'd score anymore runs at #6 than he would at #8.
Yeah, Vettori seems to get altitude sickness when he gets pushed too high up the order.

I kind of agree with Flem. Vettori isn't a good enough wicket taker for us to only go with 3 other real bowling options. But he's also struggled at number 6 in both tests and odi's, so I'm not sure if that's the answer either

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, Vettori seems to get altitude sickness when he gets pushed too high up the order.

I kind of agree with Flem. Vettori isn't a good enough wicket taker for us to only go with 3 other real bowling options. But he's also struggled at number 6 in both tests and odi's, so I'm not sure if that's the answer either
Young six, Vettori 7. Comprimise.:ph34r:

EDIT: Made a good go of his last stint at six. Has at least one century there.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Young six, Vettori 7. Comprimise.:ph34r:

EDIT: Made a good go of his last stint at six. Has at least one century there.
Meh...30 isn't great for a number 6, and he definately struggled against India and Australia last year when batting above number 8. Leaves the middle order too thin imo.

EDIT: Actually, just had a look at the scoresheets from that Australia series, and he actually didn't do to bad (couple of scores at Wellington). OK, maybe then. But the new bowler would have to be able to bat as well (which would probably mean one of either NcCullum, Mills, Astle or Bracewell).

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks Captain Dan

Would bat Dan at 7 and Young at 8. Arnel looked good when we first played him but seems to have lost his movement. Or maybe just hasn't played on helpful pitches recently.

Craig

World Traveller
One bone I have to pick about Vettori's captaincy is not being able to finish team's off. I mean fair enough if Tendulkar blasts a couple of hundreds against you, but Harbhajan to do it twice, and Jerome Taylor to do the same? This was also a problem with Fleming's captaincy as well, but you would think Vettori has played enough cricket to work out on how to get the tail out.

Craig

World Traveller
Doesn't mean I don't find it any less irritating. I can't just blame Vettori for New Zealand's woes, but the team seems to have actually regressed lately.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One bone I have to pick about Vettori's captaincy is not being able to finish team's off. I mean fair enough if Tendulkar blasts a couple of hundreds against you, but Harbhajan to do it twice, and Jerome Taylor to do the same? This was also a problem with Fleming's captaincy as well, but you would think Vettori has played enough cricket to work out on how to get the tail out.
The first time you were a bowler short, and the second time you weren't pushing for a win, you were just trying to restrict the first innings lead. The match would have ended in a draw regardless.

Blaze 18

Banned
I have always had great respect for Daniel Vettori. He gives his hundred percent on the field and plays fair - not something that can be said for too many players. I don't particularly rate him all that highly as a bowler, but his contribution to New Zealand cricket is undeniable. It isn't really his fault that New Zealand didn't win a lot of matches under him, a captain can only work with what he is given. Only time will tell if his decision was the correct one or not. Who is next in line ? Ross Taylor might be worth considering.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
I see Ross Taylor as the only option for captain.
Please, please, please NOT McCullum. He's a "me, me, me, it's all about me" type. If McCullum is made captain he will never keep again in any format and he'll be constantly at war with the coach.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't really blame Vettori for the failings of his bowlers, but the fact that he's now so obviously realised that they're not good enough is holding back the team. A bit of misplaced confidence would do them a lot of good when it comes to finishing off matches from winning positions.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't mean I don't find it any less irritating. I can't just blame Vettori for New Zealand's woes, but the team seems to have actually regressed lately.
Of course it has. Last season, our two fastest and best bowlers retired at the exact same time, and there we no one available who could come even close to replacing them. It was always going to be a very hard 12 months. With the exception of the catastrophic final session on day 3 at Hamilton, I've actually been quietly pleased with how things have gone.