• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who should come in when Martin retires?

Who should come in after Martin retires?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Depends when he retires. If he retired right now and NZ were playing a Test starting tomorrow I'd probably bring Tuffeh back. If he can hold out a bit, perhaps someone like Boult will have produced more consistent substance domestically.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mark Gillespie?

I went for Aldo. The guy deserves a shot, but really as a replacement for Arnel. We need someone who can actually take wickets to open. Gillespie might be bloody expensive, but he does occasionally come up with the sort of rip-snorter that'll get a good batsman out. Sad to say, but I don't think there's another bowler in the country of that ilk - unless one of these youngsters can pick up the knack.

Flem274*

123/5
Depends when he retires. If he retired right now and NZ were playing a Test starting tomorrow I'd probably bring Tuffeh back. If he can hold out a bit, perhaps someone like Boult will have produced more consistent substance domestically.
But we're not playing a test tomorrow.:p

Rumours are this is his last test, and since he's 36 and close to 200 wickets (on 197 now I think), he just has that to get and then he has nothing more to prove really.

Flem274*

123/5
Went Bracewell because he's gun. Realistically I think they will pick Bennett or Wagner when he qualifies. Boult and McKay will be around the side too I imagine.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disappointed that Richard de Groen made the poll ahead of Murphy Su'a, but still consider him the best option.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Picked McKay to come back, though he'll probably come in for Arnel next test series anyway.

Wagner to play as soon as possible. Bennett and Bates would be the other ones I'd look at, possibly Boult as well depending on performances. Others like Milne and Bracewell would be ones to watch but nowhere near yet.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Difficult to say really, as none of the above have impressed over a sustained period of time. If I was to put my money on anyone, it'd probably be Trent Boult initially, and hopefully Adam Milne a year or two after that. Time will tell I guess.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McKay. Got Sachin with a real snorter at Nagpur and looked generally excellent. Was terrible in the ODIs though, so NZ should keep him well away from that format.