• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RSA Cancel Pakistan tour

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well SA have pulled out of touring pakistan for security reasons...

Any opinions, im going to have a rant soon....

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Not surprising really.

And this will definately throw NZ's ODI tour into some doubt too.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It's starting to become a trend... we pulled out last year (but still managed to play a series in Sri Lanka and Sharjah), and the Kiwis pulled out mid-tour last year as well after a bomb blast.

I am just wondering how many more kicks in the gut that Pakistani cricket can take - it's not good.

Craig

World Traveller
Then what is the point in schelduing cricket in Pakistan after teams cancel on them.

anzac

International Debutant
IMO the decision is not only the right one but the only one that could have been made by any responsible authority that claims to have it's players best interests as it's main concern.

furthermore any debate regarding the act as being 'terrorist' or a 'security risk' or 'internal' is a red herring and immaterial. Likewise any further debate regarding the decisions made in the recent WC and other cancelled / aborted tours.

any so called 'guarantee' of safety is an absolute con job unless you are the only p***k chucking the bombs.

I have all the sympathy for the domestic players, but unfortunately that is the price they pay for the situation in their country.

Either clean it up, play off shore at a 'neutral' venue of similar type, or face life in the wilderness until the situation has measureably improved & stayed clean for a predetermined period of time.

IMO all planned tours to Pakistan should be held off until this is done.

:!(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pakistan are trying to reschedule the tour by changing the venues to those which are safe.

Hopefully they can negotiate and get it to go ahead.

Bazza

International 12th Man
It won't happen.

South Africa took a long time making their decision. They finally decided it was safe and then a bomb goes off. Kinda undermines the confidence doesn't it?!

Pakistan are going to have to put up with alot more neutral cricket for a while.

V Reddy

International Debutant
It came out that Dawood Ibrahim was behind the blast in Karachi . The Indian govt has been saying that he is based in karachi and asked to hand him over but the pak govt declined by saying that he is not in pak. He has several criminal cases against him in India and he made death threats to Bollywood actors and cricketers in India. He was main reason in India deciding to not play cricket in Sharjah as he also had a strong base there and the CBI report which revealed the match fixing also said that he was a match fixer there.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/xml/uncomp/articleshow?msid=193431

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If NZ pull out of Pakistan, then there is every chance that Pakistan will boycott their tour of NZ which takes place immediately after NZ conclude their short tour of Pakistan.

Craig

World Traveller
I believe Dawood Ibraham was involved with Hansie Cronje in the match fixing days? Mr Ibraham's name is very fimilar.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Since the PCB has agreed to change the 2 venues , i think there is a great chance of the tour taking place. Pak needs one western country or India to complete a series there and Pak cricket will be back to normal again :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
vishnureddy said:
Since the PCB has agreed to change the 2 venues , i think there is a great chance of the tour taking place. Pak needs one western country or India to complete a series there and Pak cricket will be back to normal again :)
But for how long will the sudden bomb blasts continue to happen?

When the IRA were bombing parts of the UK, did that affect the cricket? I dont see a lot of difference between the two situations...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
But for how long will the sudden bomb blasts continue to happen?

When the IRA were bombing parts of the UK, did that affect the cricket? I dont see a lot of difference between the two situations...
So you disagree with the South African decision?

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
If NZ pull out of Pakistan, then there is every chance that Pakistan will boycott their tour of NZ which takes place immediately after NZ conclude their short tour of Pakistan.
Who the f**k do these people think they are to threaten to boycott an Away tour when there is no 'security issue'! I know this is only speculation at this stage but it is a very real possibility considering recent history.

IMO if Pakistan try anything like a boycott they should be hauled over the coals by the ICC and disciplined. The Pakistani cricketers need to concentrate on putting pressure on their own Govt. to sort out their internal problems and not be attempting to blackmail another nation.

I hope we do not see another repeat of the situation regarding NZ's last tour to Pakistan. I'm still appalled at the reports made on this site concerning India applying pressure to NZ to make the tour to Pakistan otherwise India would not tour NZ. India should not have got involved and should stay out of the situation - either that or they should put up or shut up and tour Pakistan themselves!

politics rears it's ugly head yet again - and it gives me the s**ts!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im 100% certain that if NZ pull out of the Pakistan ODI's that Pakistan will say "Sorry, we won't be coming to NZ".

The only way to get around this would be to give Pakistan a higher percentage of the funds made by gate intakes.

anzac

International Debutant
just as a final parting shot (for the time being)....

IMO blackmail is one of the lowest forms of criminal activity, and this is being contemplated at international level (although I am aware that this does go on - see the Rainbow Warrior bombing & all the political & international back stabbing that went on there).

IMO if anyone attempts to justify any such boycott or blackmail, then they are by default endorsing the actions of the bombers and should be treated with the same contempt!

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
Im 100% certain that if NZ pull out of the Pakistan ODI's that Pakistan will say "Sorry, we won't be coming to NZ".

The only way to get around this would be to give Pakistan a higher percentage of the funds made by gate intakes.

Nope - f**k them - let's invite someone else or use the time for the proposed domestic development program. To offer them a higher gate is to give in to their blackmail and who are they to deserve higher gate takings?

As much as I love the past contributions made by Pakistani cricket they are not exactly setting the world alight either as a team or as individuals - it's not like it's Australia threatening to pull out.

If the PCB want to take this stance then I say p**s them off into the wilderness and see how long it takes for them to come down from their high horse!

India have set a precedent by refusing to tour Pakistan for political reasons, RSA & NZ have every right to do so for 'security reasons'. No blackmail type action has been taken v India so why should Pakistan or anyone else be allowed to do so v NZ?

:!( :!( :!(