• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

Steyn.DaleSteyn

Cricket Spectator
We all know that Cricket is one of that beautifull games where there's more records than any other games. Want to start a thread of all Test match records that you think will never be broken.

Will start with these 5:

1. Don Bradman's career average of 99.94
2. Don Bradman's Most runs in a 5 Match series: 974 runs in 7 inn. @ 139.14
3. Most runs in a Test match: G Gooch: 456 (333+123)
4. Most wickets in a match: JC Laker: 19 (68-27-90-19)
5. Best strike-rate for bowlers with more than 200 wickets: Dale Steyn: 39.98***

***Know Steyn is still currently playing, but is infront 2nd. place Waqar Younis with 3 balls per wicket lesser bowled. For Steyn to go to 2nd. place, his form must take a very big dip, something like bowling 840 balls without taken a wicket ... Steyn will also be the 1st. player taking 500 wicket with less than 20000 balls bowled:sleep:

Teja.

Global Moderator
I find the need to mention that Waqar's SR was better when he was at the stage of his career that Steyn is atm. There's no real guaranty that it won't dip by 3 points by the time he retires.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waqar's record isn't as well-balanced as Steyn's, for mine.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Oh and Murali's count of 5-wicket and 10-wicket hauls are there to stay. So his 11 year long 'peak' where he took more than 7 wickets per match.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Don Bradman's career average of 99.94 - There are higher Career averages than this. Hence it is already broken, unless you qualify the number of innings

2. Don Bradman's Most runs in a 5 Match series: 974 runs in 7 inn. @ 139.14 - Might not be broken. However Lara hammered 688 runs in 3 matches.

3. Most runs in a Test match: G Gooch: 456 (333+123) - Might not be boken

4. Most wickets in a match: JC Laker: 19 (68-27-90-19) - Might never be bettered

Here are the ones that will be hardly broken.

1. Most test / ODI wickets - Muralitharan 800 / 500
2. Most test runs / ODI runs - Tendulkar who'll go past 15k runs in both formats. Cook has a chance, but I'll not entertain the fact that je cpuld maintain that form for another decade.
3. Test / ODI batsman with highest run aggregate facing the one with highest career wickets. In test's that happened in Galle, 2010 when Tendulkar faced Murali. It will happen for possibly the last time in ODIs if Murali bowls to Tendulkar in WC quarter / semi or final.
4. Best bowling performance in tests - Laker 10/51
5. Best bowling performance in ODIs - Vaas 8/19
6. Most number of WC wins (Ponting / S. Waugh 3)
7. Most number of WC appearances - Miandad and Tendulkar - 6

Bun

Banned
Most test wickets won't be broken perhaps ever.. 800 wickets is way beyond the reach of many bowlers.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I can see Lara's record of 400 going down, with aggressive openers who can get 200+ in a day on flat tracks becoming more common. Sehwag and Gayle have had oppertunities recently.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only two records for mine that are here to stay forever are Bradman's average and Laker's 19 wickets. Anything else is possible. The most runs/wickets especially just needs a very good player to debut early and play for a long time, and with the increase in fitness and support staff, that really should be possible. Not saying that Murali and Sachin are anything but top shelf players, but they're not totally out of sight like Bradman and Laker.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Bradman's average, Laker's haul and Murali's 10-fers(22) are the only ones that'll stay forever IMO.

Blaze 18

Banned
The only two records for mine that are here to stay forever are Bradman's average and Laker's 19 wickets. Anything else is possible. The most runs/wickets especially just needs a very good player to debut early and play for a long time, and with the increase in fitness and support staff, that really should be possible. Not saying that Murali and Sachin are anything but top shelf players, but they're not totally out of sight like Bradman and Laker.
Sir Don Bradman's record is out of sight for sure, but I am not sure Laker's record is. Don't get me wrong, it would take something very special to break it, but I think records that can be broken in a match (fastest century, highest individual score etc.) are generally easier to break than career records (most runs, most wickets, most fivers, etc.)

morgieb

We all know that Cricket is one of that beautifull games where there's more records than any other games. Want to start a thread of all Test match records that you think will never be broken.

Will start with these 5:

1. Don Bradman's career average of 99.94
2. Don Bradman's Most runs in a 5 Match series: 974 runs in 7 inn. @ 139.14
3. Most runs in a Test match: G Gooch: 456 (333+123)
4. Most wickets in a match: JC Laker: 19 (68-27-90-19)
5. Best strike-rate for bowlers with more than 200 wickets: Dale Steyn: 39.98***

***Know Steyn is still currently playing, but is infront 2nd. place Waqar Younis with 3 balls per wicket lesser bowled. For Steyn to go to 2nd. place, his form must take a very big dip, something like bowling 840 balls without taken a wicket ... Steyn will also be the 1st. player taking 500 wicket with less than 20000 balls bowled:sleep:
1. Unbeatable most likely.
2. Unbeatable most likely, not many sides play 5 game series, and I can't see someone doing that awesome.
3. Reckon it's beatable, particuarly nowadays....
4. Unbeatable most likely, would take a freak effort and these days those never happen.
5. Pretty beatable, Steyn's strike-rate will probably be somewhat worse by the time he retires anyway.

morgieb

1. Don Bradman's career average of 99.94 - There are higher Career averages than this. Hence it is already broken, unless you qualify the number of innings

2. Don Bradman's Most runs in a 5 Match series: 974 runs in 7 inn. @ 139.14 - Might not be broken. However Lara hammered 688 runs in 3 matches.

3. Most runs in a Test match: G Gooch: 456 (333+123) - Might not be boken

4. Most wickets in a match: JC Laker: 19 (68-27-90-19) - Might never be bettered

Here are the ones that will be hardly broken.

1. Most test / ODI wickets - Muralitharan 800 / 500
2. Most test runs / ODI runs - Tendulkar who'll go past 15k runs in both formats. Cook has a chance, but I'll not entertain the fact that je cpuld maintain that form for another decade.
3. Test / ODI batsman with highest run aggregate facing the one with highest career wickets. In test's that happened in Galle, 2010 when Tendulkar faced Murali. It will happen for possibly the last time in ODIs if Murali bowls to Tendulkar in WC quarter / semi or final.
4. Best bowling performance in tests - Laker 10/51
5. Best bowling performance in ODIs - Vaas 8/19
6. Most number of WC wins (Ponting / S. Waugh 3)
7. Most number of WC appearances - Miandad and Tendulkar - 6
1. Hard to beat, but won't rule it out.
2. Ditto, reckon Cook's a chance of beating the test one myself.
3. Bit of a strange record, but yeah it's hard to beat.
4. Hard to beat, but not totally impossible.
5. Ditto.
6. Tugga didn't get 3 WC wins. Reckon it's beatable if we can find a side that's as good as Australia, but it won't be easy.
7. Hard to beat, but not impossible. Outside chance that Tendy might get 7.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Shahid Afridi and his 37 ball ton in ODI's will take some beating. Despite the game becoming far more aggressive in the past decade, cricketers exposed to Twenty20 and Shahid Afridi playing a further 304 ODI's the next closest century is still 7 balls slower.

Sorry I realised this thread is Test records. Still a good record.

Last edited: