• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually I agree. The volume of cricket is the key - he plays a lot more than Tendulkar did per year.

Even so, I think he won't beat the centuries record - even if he does beat the runs record.

Assuming Tendulkar gets there...does anyone think the 100 international centuries will be broken?
97 or whatever it already is won't be broken. Heck, Ponting's 68 won't be broken. I don't see too many ODI's being played 5 years or so down the line. Tendulkar played an absolute ****load of ODIs in the 90s when the BCCI was making huge money out of them.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Actually I agree. The volume of cricket is the key - he plays a lot more than Tendulkar did per year.

Even so, I think he won't beat the centuries record - even if he does beat the runs record.

Assuming Tendulkar gets there...does anyone think the 100 international centuries will be broken?
Possible. But extremely unlikely.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
50 Test centuries (assuming Tendulkar quits at around this mark, but I don't think he will) could be broken. 15 years back I didn't think Gavaskar's 34 centuries would be surpassed at all.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
50 Test centuries (assuming Tendulkar quits at around this mark, but I don't think he will) could be broken. 15 years back I didn't think Gavaskar's 34 centuries would be surpassed at all.
Yeah, definitely. It's when you add the ODI hundreds in that it starts to look insurmountable. For someone to be good enough to open so prolifically for a decade and a half in ODIs, allowing him to rack up a huge amount of 100s, as well as make 50+ Test hundreds is very rare.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
We all know that Cricket is one of that beautifull games where there's more records than any other games. Want to start a thread of all Test match records that you think will never be broken.

Will start with these 5:

1. Don Bradman's career average of 99.94
2. Don Bradman's Most runs in a 5 Match series: 974 runs in 7 inn. @ 139.14
3. Most runs in a Test match: G Gooch: 456 (333+123)
4. Most wickets in a match: JC Laker: 19 (68-27-90-19)
5. Best strike-rate for bowlers with more than 200 wickets: Dale Steyn: 39.98***

***Know Steyn is still currently playing, but is infront 2nd. place Waqar Younis with 3 balls per wicket lesser bowled. For Steyn to go to 2nd. place, his form must take a very big dip, something like bowling 840 balls without taken a wicket ... Steyn will also be the 1st. player taking 500 wicket with less than 20000 balls bowled:sleep:
1. Won't be broken. Least likely as conditions are like to differ more and more in the future and there is a way wide variety of bowlers and attacks.

2.Could be broken ,if there are more 5 test series.
Lara had 688:-O in runs in a 3 test series in Srilanka. Would have probably broken the record had it been 5 tests.

3.This i can see being broken certainly. Someone like Sehwag would be a prime contender for it.
This can specially be broken in a draw.

4.This is very unlikely to be broken because no body bowls so many overs alone these days and their are more rounded attacks. So someone else is always likely to sneak in a couple of wickets.

5.Steyn's strike rate like Waqar's later on ,could drop and there can be other bowlers coming up who will threaten with the pace of cricket being faster these days.
For example Shane Bond had a even better strike rate of 38.7 for 87 Wickets.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think either of these will be broken. I foresee a cricketing future with a few less Tests, no ODIs and a ****load more T20s (a lot of which will be in domestic competitions with windows created). T20 hundreds are rare so I don't see anyone breaking the overall international record. Tendulkar's Test record could be broken but I think it'll be exceedingly difficult.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't say this won't be broken but getting 15 (or was it 13-14?) 150+ scores in test matches consecutively by Sehwag will take some doing. I was so gutted when he got out for 131 in 09 against SL (especially considering he hit 293 the following match).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Bradman's 12 Test double centuries.

A lot of great, great batsmen have played a lot of Tests and no one else has gone past 8.

Bun

Banned
They say a test fifer is bowler's equivalent of a century. Murali's 67 fifers is mindboggling in that respect. A fifer every two tests is just unbelievable. I am pretty sure that record is going to stand the test of time.

It becomes a Bradmanly number when you consider the next on that list is Shane Warne with 37 fifers. :wacko:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman's 12 Test double centuries.

A lot of great, great batsmen have played a lot of Tests and no one else has gone past 8.
Sehwag has 6 and one 182 and one 195.

Depends on how long he plays but he can certainly come close to it ,if he plays about 4/5 years more.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
They say a test fifer is bowler's equivalent of a century. Murali's 67 fifers is mindboggling in that respect. A fifer every two tests is just unbelievable. I am pretty sure that record is going to stand the test of time.

It becomes a Bradmanly number when you consider the next on that list is Shane Warne with 37 fifers. :wacko:
Yep.

That one will take some beating.

Unlikely to be beaten.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
2.Could be broken ,if there are more 5 test series.
Lara had 688:-O in runs in a 3 test series in Srilanka. Would have probably broken the record had it been 5 tests.
Bradman's won't be broken.

You'd have to be phenominally consistent over 5 Tests, which is a lot harder than doing it over 3 Tests. I think Cook's series in Australia has made me appreciate just what exactly is involved in scoring 700+ runs in a series, and it's extremely difficult to do.

As for Tendulkar's record, there's no reason why Cook can't break it. Looking at their records between their debut and their 26th birthdays, Tendulkar scored 5,177 runs to Cook's 4,859. That's not a huge difference, and I'll wager that Cook will play a lot more Test cricket in the next 10 years than Tendulkar did in the equivelant 10 years of his career.

Like I said, Cook doesn't actually have to improve a great deal from the 45 averaging batsmen he's been so far. If he kicks on for a career average of 50, he'll easily reach 15,000 IMO.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Oldest Test Debutant: James Southerton played his first test at 49 years & 119 days.

Oldest Test Player: Wilfred Rhodes played his last test at 52 years 165 days.

100%ers, IMHO. Won't be beaten.
Tendulkar has the second one covered, IMO. Spectators all over the world are going to be sick and tired of attending farewell Sachin tours over the next decade and half. He's going to be the boy who cried wolf, and consequently won't get a proper farewell when he finally does retire. He's going to be "Guys, I think I'll retire now", and the spectators are going to be, "Yeah right, Sachin, whatever. ;rolleyes;".