• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Sobers even been nominated? Played one ODI FFS. Would be like Sachin getting nominated for a "greatest T20 players" list.
Shockingly enough, he was nominated. I suppose people thought "well, he qualified, so let's chuck him in because he should have been a good ODI player!" 8-)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Why so sure Sobers will make the top 30? For that to happen he will need approx 12 + voters to vote for him. I find that highly unlikely.

Fantastic domestic record. Such a shame his career didn't cross over into the 70's very far.

morgieb

Why so sure Sobers will make the top 30? For that to happen he will need approx 12 + voters to vote for him. I find that highly unlikely.

Fantastic domestic record. Such a shame his career didn't cross over into the 70's very far.
I don't think he will, but it might happen, you never know.

smash84

The Tiger King
Mark Waugh is the second best ODI opener ever IMO, should've made the top 15-20, but then I lost my right to bitch when I forgot to vote. :p

Awesome list again, I'm fearing Lara will be too high though.
So true. Mark Waugh a little lower than I expected. Can't remember if i put him in my list but he was a class act.

Like Nufan I also thought that M Waugh and Saeed Anwar would be close together. Although a bit surprised for Inzi being in at 32.

The biggest surprise for me though was Nathan Bracken beat Malcolm Marshall :)...although I am not sure any of these guys were in my list except maybe Mark Waugh (can't recall correctly)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
My next group will be 30 to 26, it's not going to happen today, but just seeing who people are expecting to see in these positions?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Greenidge has a better average. He has the 2nd best frequency of winning MoMs in ODIs behind Viv Richards. 2nd best ODI opener for mine.
Greenidge also has a higher frequency of MoM awards than Tendulkar. Why not Greenidge - best opener? :-O

smash84

The Tiger King
My next group will be 30 to 26, it's not going to happen today, but just seeing who people are expecting to see in these positions?
It is almost impossible to predict. I get the feeling that we might see Shoaib Akhtar, Abdur Razzaq, Ranatunga, Ganguly, and Allan Border (was he nominated???)

Greenidge also has a higher frequency of MoM awards than Tendulkar. Why not Greenidge - best opener? :-O
:laugh:

vcs

If Akhtar was to make it, I don't think he should be higher than somewhere in the 40s. Wouldn't rate him above the likes of M. Waugh, De Silva etc.

Can't separate Haynes and Greenidge on stats, I guess you have to have watched them to have a proper opinion. I do remember that Haynes's ODI hundreds record stood for quite some time before people like Sachin, Anwar, Ganguly etc. really started piling them up in the '90s.

smash84

The Tiger King
If Akhtar was to make it, I don't think he should be higher than somewhere in the 40s. Wouldn't rate him above the likes of M. Waugh, De Silva etc.

Can't separate Haynes and Greenidge on stats, I guess you have to have watched them to have a proper opinion. I do remember that Haynes's ODI hundreds record stood for quite some time before people like Sachin, Anwar, Ganguly etc. really started piling them up in the '90s.
Yes but we have had Bracken over MArshall and fairbrother over jonty and chris gayle so expect a few surprises.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Come on Joe that's not a serious argument. FWIW, Tendulkar's frequency as an opener might just be better, but that's not my reason to rate Tendulkar a little higher though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is almost impossible to predict. I get the feeling that we might see Shoaib Akhtar, Abdur Razzaq, Ranatunga, Ganguly, and Allan Border (was he nominated???):
Reasonable guesses there.. maybe..

Border has already been picked in the 40s.

morgieb

It is almost impossible to predict. I get the feeling that we might see Shoaib Akhtar, Abdur Razzaq, Ranatunga, Ganguly, and Allan Border (was he nominated???)

:laugh:
Don't see Ranatunga making it, and Akthar and Razzaq probably won't either.

Ganguly most likely will, Border's already made it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Razzaq will make it,i think.

His knock is recent in many people's memory still.
Ganguly has to make it too,but i think he will be 20 to 25/

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Bond came in 25th spot for me. Us Aussies are naturally going to rate him quite highly because he was awesome against us. I think in the end 33 is a quite deserving spot for Bond overall.
I agree.

I voted for Bond too but in the 20's. Ultimately he played too few ODI's.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see whether Zaheer Abbas makes it ,and where?

Has similar numbers to Sir Viv Richards in the same era (in terms of sr also) and in a weaker team.

smash84

The Tiger King
only 3 of my top 25 players have appeared in the positions 31-50
so far only Martin Crowe has made it from my list. He was at 41.

Oops sorry for the AB blunder. Didn't recall him from the 40s.

So my guesses are Ranatunga, Razzq, Akhtar, Ganguly, and Dean Jones. for the spots 26-30. Let's see how good my guessing is. Might have one of Courtney Walsh or Ambrose in place of Ranatunga actually.