• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The positions so far
50 Chris Harris
49 Chris Gayle
48 Jonty Rhodes
47 Neil Fairbrother
46 AB de Villiers
45 Michael Holding
44 Shane Watson
43 Allan Border
42 Chris Cairns
41 Martin Crowe

Now for 40 to 31..

40 MALCOLM MARSHALL

Malcolm Marshall | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 42
Nominated by 5/30
Highest Rating 12

A lot of cricketers all over the world credit Marshall guiding them during the years of their development. He was a mentor and father figure. He brought thousands of fans through the gates and gave them a reason to love this glorious game. He gave us some super-human performances on the field and provided us with memories that we will cherish. He was a major player in the era when West Indies stood supreme on the world stage and helped to maintain the high standards set by those who went before him.

He maintained mastery of orthodox outswing and inswing from a neutral position without telegraphing his intent. Marshall was lithe, with a wickedly fast arm that elevated him to express status.

39 NATHAN BRACKEN

Nathan Bracken | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 43
Total Nominations 6/30
Highest Rating 10

Tall and slim, Bracken moves the ball both ways in the air and off the seam and fitted easily into Australia's rampant one-day squad in 2000-01. His steady rise peaked after the 2008 West Indies tour when he became the No. 1-ranked one-day bowler, his 34 wickets in the previous home contest boosting his ratings.

Bracken's strengths lie in containing rampant limited-overs batsmen with his clever variations of pace and length.

38 GORDON GREENIDGE

Gordon Greenidge | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 49
Total Nominations 5/30
Highest Rating 10

Brooding and massively destructive, the power of Gordon Greenidge's strokeplay on any given day appeared to bear a direct relationship to the degree that he limped when running between the wickets.

Attacking was in his genes. Never in the game has there been a more withering and dismissive square-cut, nor a more willing and able hooker and puller, but he drove mightily too on both sides of the wicket.

In 127 innings Greendige finished with an average in excess of 45.

37 GREG CHAPPELL

Greg Chappell | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 49
Total Nominations 7/30
Highest Rating 14

Upright and unbending, with a touch of the tin soldier about his bearing, Greg Chappell was the outstanding Australian batsman of his generation

His batting exploits in ODIs were not quite of the same magnitude as his Test match career, but he did hold the Australian record single-innings score (138 not against New Zealand in 1980) for more than ten years. His ODI captaincy career is most commonly remembered for the "underarm" incident in 1981

Chappell averaged over 40 with the bat at a fantastic strike rate of 75. His medium pacers produced 72 wickets in 74 ODIs at an average under 30.

36 MARK WAUGH

Mark Waugh | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 55
Total Nominations 10/30
Highest Rating 10

Mark Waugh was one of the world's most elegant and gifted strokemakers. His game was characterised by an ability to drive, cut, pull and loft the ball so effortlessly that it could make him look disdainful of the talents of bowlers.

Waugh’s three commanding centuries as an opener at the 1996 World Cup tournament showcased his prodigious batting talent. Junior hit 18 ODI Centuries for Australia, including a then record 173 from just 148 balls against the West Indies.

Waugh had a remarkable penchant for spectacular saves and catches - he had few rivals to match his freakish brilliance in the field.

35 SAEED ANWAR

Saeed Anwar | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 58
Total Nominations 8/30
Highest Rating 9

Majestic timing and placement were Saeed Anwar's hallmarks. He was an opener capable of electrifying starts in all cricket through graceful strokeplay rather than brute force. He loved driving through the off side with minimal footwork.

In 247 ODI’s Anwar scored 20 centuries. He held the record for the highest ODI score of 194 from 146 balls against India, till Sachin Tendulkar upstaged him.

On his day Anwar was one of the most gracefully compelling players on the international stage.

34 DESMOND HAYNES

Desmond Haynes | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 63
Total Nominations 8/30
Highest Rating 14

Think of him and you see Kensington Oval, sundrenched, and a broad smile as he beat out another century.

His batting possessed a solid muscularity and allround nature to it, and while he was capable of destructive innings, he tended, in opening partnerships anyway, towards acting as counterpoint to Gordon Greenidge's belligerent strokeplay

In 238 ODI’s Haynes scored 17 centuries and 57 half centuries.

33 SHANE BOND

Shane Bond | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 80
Total Nominations 10/30
Highest Rating 2

Fast, fearsome and frustratingly fragile, Shane Bond will be remembered as much for his misfortune with injuries as for his wonderful ability. Bond was New Zealand's best pace bowler in the post-Hadlee era, but missed more games than he played.

The game always lifted a notch when he had the ball. His athletic action was geared towards inswing and his 150-plus kph efforts meant the ball would swing late. Toe-crushing yorkers were a specialty and he feasted on the world's best batsmen.

Bond always lifted against Australia, and it was a sign of his great skill that he took 44 ODI wickets at 15.79 against them. That included a hat-trick in Hobart in 2006-07 and one of Bond's personal favourites, his 6 for 23 against the eventual champions in the 2003 World Cup

32 INZAMAM-UL-HAQ

Inzamam-ul-Haq | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 82
Total Nominations 7/30
Highest Rating 4

Inzamam-ul-Haq is a symbiosis of strength and subtlety. Power is no surprise, but sublime touch is remarkable for a man of his bulk. He loathes exercise and often looks a passenger in the field, but with a willow between his palms he is suddenly galvanised. He plays shots all round the wicket, is especially strong off his legs, and unleashes ferocious pulls and lofted drives.

Inzamam came to prominence at the 1992 World Cup where he smashed 60 from 37 balls to get Pakistan into the final in which they won. In 350 ODI innings, Inzamam scored an astonishing 83 half centuries, as well as 10 centuries.

31 ARAVINDA DE SILVA

Aravinda de Silva | Sri Lanka Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Total Points 97
Total Nominations 10/30
Highest Rating 5

One of the game's best entertainers, de Silva possessed the strengths of many of the tallest short run-scorers: unruffable technique, strong at cutting and hooking, an unrepentant attacker. His record is unrivalled among countrymen, his place in history secure after a match-winning century in a World Cup final. He stands 5ft 3 1/2in and arguably there has not been a better smaller player.

His international career ended with the 2003 World Cup, where he batted with all the verve and panache of old, and bowled his offspinners cannily.

Last edited:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I think C Harris deseves his 50th spot. he palyed 250 odi for NZ for a reason. he also has the most c&b record of 29 iftrue stats where kept re: run outs Im sure Chris would rank high in that as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
i forgot m waugh .. tisk .. tisk isnt he the only player who has 3 wc centures.
Waugh actually has 4 WC tons, he did get 3 in the 1 tournament though. He is level with Ponting, Ganguly and Tendulkar with 4.

I always thought Anwar and Waugh would end up very close in this. I had them ranked in 19th and 20th.

Haynes beating Greenidge is interesting, perhaps it's a longevity thing? Neither made my 25.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Mark Waugh and Shane Bond too low imo.
Shane Bond came in 25th spot for me. Us Aussies are naturally going to rate him quite highly because he was awesome against us. I think in the end 33 is a quite deserving spot for Bond overall.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I would be interested to know who ranked Shane Bond at two. That is a very high ranking, and it would be interesting to read a justification for the ranking.

More than deserving of the number 33 position. One of the greatest strike bowlers.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Disappointed with Inzi being ranked so low. Deserved to make the top 25 IMHO. He was grace under pressure for Pakistan in countless ODI's, with wickets falling all around him and he masterfully protecting the tail-enders from the strike.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would be interested to know who ranked Shane Bond at two. That is a very high ranking, and it would be interesting to read a justification for the ranking.

More than deserving of the number 33 position. One of the greatest strike bowlers.
Bond in the end did finish 17 points ahead of 34th, so if the person who did pick him at 2, picked him at around 17th or so he would have still finished in that position. I just think the forum member from NZ thinks he's the best bowler he's ever seen which I guess is fair enough.

The second highest rating for Bond was 13th.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I HAVE FAITH IN CRICKETWEB ONCE AGAIN

Loving this NUFAN, very interesting stuff indeed. Keep it up!

EDIT: Don't think I nominated Aravinda, but am very happy to see him in the 50.

Also Nufan, are you able to edit in the highest ranking for the first lot of ten?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Disappointed with Inzi being ranked so low. Deserved to make the top 25 IMHO. He was grace under pressure for Pakistan in countless ODI's, with wickets falling all around him and he masterfully protecting the tail-enders from the strike.
He loses points for me due to his poor World Cup performances (after 92) and his reasonably average record against Australia. The fact that he wasn't really nimble in the field doesn't help either.

On the plus for Inzi, his record at home is unbelievable and I do think he was a great ODI batsman, but it's hard to fit everyone into only 25 spots.

I HAVE FAITH IN CRICKETWEB ONCE AGAIN

Loving this NUFAN, very interesting stuff indeed. Keep it up!
Haha, because of Bracks?

howardj

International Coach
Enjoying this, and like the passion and work that went into it.

Having said that, Mark Edward Waugh comes in criminally low. One of the all-timers in my view.

Fusion

Global Moderator
He loses points for me due to his poor World Cup performances (after 92) and his reasonably average record against Australia. The fact that he wasn't really nimble in the field doesn't help either.

On the plus for Inzi, his record at home is unbelievable and I do think he was a great ODI batsman, but it's hard to fit everyone into only 25 spots.
To counter, I would say he was the most impactful player for Pakistan in the 92 WC and hence the MVP of the country's crowining acheivement in that format. Also, Inzi being a fielding liability is a bit of a myth. He was actually as safe a slip catcher as Pakistan had. Ah well, like you said, it's tough to fit in everyone in those 25 spots.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
To counter, I would say he was the most impactful player for Pakistan in the 92 WC and hence the MVP of the country's crowining acheivement in that format. Also, Inzi being a fielding liability is a bit of a myth. He was actually as safe a slip catcher as Pakistan had. Ah well, like you said, it's tough to fit in everyone in those 25 spots.
Yeah the 92 performance at such a young age should count for something pretty big for any Pakistan fan. I can understand certainly why people would have him up high.

I know he's not the worst catcher, but in ODI's I don't think of him as a run saver or a player likely to take a screamer.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We tend to have better mental pictures of cricketers' test records (at least I do). Therefore I expect to see a lot of anomalies till we hit top 10 or 15. Of the 20 so far I voted only for Gordon Greenidge (at #13). He deserved to have got 20+ votes and to have ranked somewhere in top 20. Terribly underrated ODI batsman. I wil put him best 5 or 7 and very close to finding a place in my all time XI.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Mark Waugh is the second best ODI opener ever IMO, should've made the top 15-20, but then I lost my right to bitch when I forgot to vote. :p

Awesome list again, I'm fearing Lara will be too high though.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Waugh is the second best ODI opener ever IMO, should've made the top 15-20, but then I lost my right to bitch when I forgot to vote. :p

Awesome list again, I'm fearing Lara will be too high though.
Yeah agreed. He was good, but not that good. Also reckon Steve Waugh or even Gary Sobers might be way too high.

EDIT: Turns out Steve's not in the running.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has Sobers even been nominated? Played one ODI FFS. Would be like Sachin getting nominated for a "greatest T20 players" list.