• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's 50 Best ODI Cricketers of all time - The Countdown

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cairns deserves to be a bit higher for me.
I was glad you voted for him because before that he wasn't in the 50. Cairns played probably the best ODI innings I've seen live (100 odd vs SA @ GABBA) so I naturally rate him highly; but I think 42 is a very fair position for him.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
It is fair to say that Chris Cairns had the potential to be in the top 20 ODI cricketers of all time. On his day was as destructive as Zulu, Symonds, Dhoni etc with the bat, and was one of the finest bowlers of the slower-ball and its many variations.

He could just never string the big games together throughout his 215 games.

smash84

The Tiger King
It is fair to say that Chris Cairns had the potential to be in the top 20 ODI cricketers of all time. On his day was as destructive as Zulu, Symonds, Dhoni etc with the bat, and was one of the finest bowlers of the slower-ball and its many variations.

He could just never string the big games together throughout his 215 games.
I think you make a fair point. He was one of those players who never fulfilled his potential.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Kinda disappointed by that start, didn't actually vote for any of the players there. It means a lot of great players are going to miss out, then. That can be the trouble with this system, all it takes is for a player to be voted really highly by just one person and they shoot up the pecking order.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Kinda disappointed by that start, didn't actually vote for any of the players there. It means a lot of great players are going to miss out, then. That can be the trouble with this system, all it takes is for a player to be voted really highly by just one person and they shoot up the pecking order.
So who doesn't deserve to make the list so far? For every great player that makes the top 50, another great just misses out.

Besides, some controversy will be great. :D

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I reckon Cairns would be higher if we'd sent in lists of 50 instead of 25. He'd make most people's top 35 IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Like I said before 2 players not in the 50 got more then 2 votes, so they definitely have a case to be in the 50. A fair few others had 2 votes also so yeah the way the voting was structured did mean a few surprise choices..

If you go through the 100 original qualified players I'm sure most of you could find 30 to 50 players who aren't as good as some of the players nominated so far.

EDIT - @ MW1304

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Like I said before 2 players not in the 50 got more then 2 votes, so they definitely have a case to be in the 50. A fair few others had 2 votes also so yeah the way the voting was structured did mean a few surprise choices..

If you go through the 100 original qualified players I'm sure most of you could find 30 to 50 players who aren't as good as some of the players nominated so far.
Agreed. There were some names that didn't deserve to be in the top 100 even :)

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
So who doesn't deserve to make the list so far? For every great player that makes the top 50, another great just misses out.

Besides, some controversy will be great. :D
No major shocks, but I am surprised that Chris Harris got in the top 50. I know he had allround contributions, which helps his case, but I can only imagine he got in as a result of two people rating his much higher than anyone else.

It just means if someone misses out because a lot of people voted them like 25th it would be very unfair IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
I never vote for these things just because I know I'll miss out someone important. I'm not very good at this ranking stuff anyway.

Would've nominated Clarke anyway :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I never vote for these things just because I know I'll miss out someone important. I'm not very good at this ranking stuff anyway.

Would've nominated Clarke anyway :ph34r:
The reason why I did the qualification at the start was to help people not forget someone obvious.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha would've still done it anyway. I'm dreadful like that.

Maybe I wouldn't have forgotten, but I would literally have struggled completely with the rankings. Even from the top.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Fantastic stuff NUFAN, great start to the countdown - can't argue too much with any of those ten players.

Can't wait for 40-31. :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I already know at least 3 very good players that I forgot to include.

Last edited: