• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Class list

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka would have, not convinced about Australia. There's a lot of circumstances when you'd only pick 1 spinner in Australia, and Murali's record here is pretty damn awful, even though he's better than anyone here during his time except for possibly McGrath and Warne.
Going by that logic alone India wouldn't have picked either of them ahead of Ahead of Kumble and Harbhajan in India.:)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who out of McGrath, Gillespie or Kasprowicz would you have dropped for a Test series in India?
All of them. Or maybe all of them except McGrath. And I'd drop Warne too, obviously. He's ****ing Murali! The leading test wicket-taker of ALL TIME! He'd walk into 100% of teams in the history of the game and I can't believe I even have to debate this.

morgieb

Going by that logic alone India wouldn't have picked either of them ahead of Ahead of Kumble and Harbhajan in India.:)
Spinners always struggle against Indian batsman - he'd be much better bowling for India.

Yeah that theory should work for Australia too, but I don't know if it's that simple.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm just being arsey.

Although I couldn't disagree more about a team to win in India. Murali ahead of Warne is an interesting shout, but no way do any of Australia's quicks make way for both of them.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't see many keepers, apart from P. Jayawardene, who are better than Dhoni at keeping to spin.
I don't know if he's 'better' than Dhoni at keeping to spin, but Prior's keeping to Swann is very good.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Lloyd or Richards had any say in it, Lillee would have walked into the WI sides of his era.
Quite so; suspect his blonde mucker would've done too.

All of them. Or maybe all of them except McGrath. And I'd drop Warne too, obviously. He's ****ing Murali! The leading test wicket-taker of ALL TIME! He'd walk into 100% of teams in the history of the game and I can't believe I even have to debate this.
Nah, if you're set on only playing one spinner, out of Warne and Murali it's the former every day of the week. Even if one rates Murali as marginally the better bowler, Warne adds so much more as a package to the team.

vcs

Ideal bowling lineup to bowl to India in India - Marshall, Donald, McGrath, Udal. :ph34r:

Last edited:

morgieb

If you wanted only one spinner, Warne would be the first choice. Murali might play ahead of him in the subcontinent, but there you'd usually take 2 spinners.

vcs

I don't know if he's 'better' than Dhoni at keeping to spin, but Prior's keeping to Swann is very good.
Can't say I've watched enough to make a judgement. I did see him miss a stumping or two in the Ashes though. Dhoni is a pretty safe pair of hands keeping to spin, from what I've seen.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No. The fact that Australia probably wouldn't have taken Murali when Warne was still playing doesn't mean Murali wasn't world class.
Well, that's exactly my point about the 'should walk into any side to qualify as world class' definition.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, that's exactly my point about the 'should walk into any side to qualify as world class' definition.
Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's a fair stab at a definition of a nebulous concept tho. Maybe "would make a World touring party of 15/16" would remove the anomalies?

Uppercut

I'm just being arsey.

Although I couldn't disagree more about a team to win in India. Murali ahead of Warne is an interesting shout, but no way do any of Australia's quicks make way for both of them.
Nah, they definitely do. I could see your case if we were talking about a mid-nineties Australian side, or a very recent one. But this was in the mid-2000s. I think you need to check up on Murali's record during the years in question.

Uppercut

Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's a fair stab at a definition of a nebulous concept tho. Maybe "would make a World touring party of 15/16" would remove the anomalies?
It makes the aforementioned batting anomalies even worse, though..

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Quite so; suspect his blonde mucker would've done too.

Nah, if you're set on only playing one spinner, out of Warne and Murali it's the former every day of the week. Even if one rates Murali as marginally the better bowler, Warne adds so much more as a package to the team.

To play in India, i would pick Murali ahead of Warne .

And i think they were talking about a test series in India.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't say I've watched enough to make a judgement. I did see him miss a stumping or two in the Ashes though. Dhoni is a pretty safe pair of hands keeping to spin, from what I've seen.
Just the one, I think.