• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Class list

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well they don't pick Duminy over Prince, and he's young, has a good First Class record, has been awesome in ODIs, offers a more useful bowling option to them than Mathews and tasted Test success early on before falling away a bit.

Let me put it another way - I wouldn't pick Mathews over Prince.
Me neither, but then that isn't really the point. I could have used Ashwell Prince as an example too- what test side wouldn't he make it into? He'd be a fantastic option at 3 for India, given his relative abilities against pace and spin.

These players are quite clearly not world-class, so I think we need a new definition. For batsmen, at least.

Uppercut

Better than Dhoni for mine. Don't really have an opinion on Haddin or Prior which is probably a good sign but I don't rate Dhoni with the gloves at all, especially given that he plays for India because he's soo dire keeping to spin.

Himannv

International Coach
Ponting's been in bad form recently but he's definitely World Class based on past performances. There was a time he couldn't stop scoring runs. You didn't even have to watch the match to guess that he scored yet another hundred.

As for Mathews, too early to call. Going to be optimistic though and say that the best is yet to come from him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ponting's been in bad form recently but he's definitely World Class based on past performances.
Well, so's Greg Chappell tbh. Frankly I'd think about advocating his dropping him from the Australian team if I thought they'd replace him with someone decent (both as a player and as captain). I'm definitely a class-over-form guy normally, but I don't think this is poor form as much as it is a decline. Thought the same about Hussey too mind you. :oops:

Himannv

International Coach
Well, so's Greg Chappell tbh. Frankly I'd think about advocating his dropping him from the Australian team if I thought they'd replace him with someone decent (both as a player and as captain). I'm definitely a class-over-form guy normally, but I don't think this is poor form as much as it is a decline. Thought the same about Hussey too mind you. :oops:
I suspect that its decline as well but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Great player and lovely to watch but probably a few games against Sri Lanka are in order. I feel all these great players come out of their shells a bit against us. :dry:

Burgey

What about Jerome Taylor when he's fit? I know he's injured a lot but he's often struck me as a good performer that not many take liberties against.

Mind you, I can't actually remember the last time I saw him play.

Eds

International Debutant
Going by Prince's definition of World Class, I actually think Tremlett is. Not that I actually feel he's World Class myself, but yeah, I'd put him in every other test side.

morgieb

Yeah I think so. Has he played much since then? Poor bugger seems injured so much. Edwards has been out a while too hasn't he?
Edwards hasn't played for like 18 months iirc. And Taylor's fitness has been on and off for ages.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ponting's been in bad form recently but he's definitely World Class based on past performances. There was a time he couldn't stop scoring runs. You didn't even have to watch the match to guess that he scored yet another hundred.

As for Mathews, too early to call. Going to be optimistic though and say that the best is yet to come from him.
Past performances are irrelevant when you're looking at who's world class right now. Ponting hasn't been anything like a world class Test batsman for at least 18 months.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I would take Ryder and Broad out of PEWS list add Mo Yo rest will be the same maybe Sarwan?

vcs

Better than Dhoni for mine. Don't really have an opinion on Haddin or Prior which is probably a good sign but I don't rate Dhoni with the gloves at all, especially given that he plays for India because he's soo dire keeping to spin.
I don't see many keepers, apart from P. Jayawardene, who are better than Dhoni at keeping to spin.

TumTum

Banned
Haddin is really dire against spin, we don't see it thought because our spinners hardly ever get edges behind.

smash84

The Tiger King
He is not that bad against spin. Well he hasn't had the chance to show his skill because the Aussie spinners are dire these days.......but the guy is really gritty and although his batting might not be in the same class as Dhoni the guy has a more gritty attitude than Dhoni IMO.

vcs

He is not that bad against spin. Well he hasn't had the chance to show his skill because the Aussie spinners are dire these days.......but the guy is really gritty and although his batting might not be in the same class as Dhoni the guy has a more gritty attitude than Dhoni IMO.
Interesting.. I'd say exactly the opposite about their batting.

Haddin has played a lot more "gritty" innings in recent times, TBF. He's a much more "talented" and technically correct batsman than Dhoni, though.