• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Class list

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not so sure with Malinga in Oz; pound for pound Australia have produced more slingers than anyone else. Thommo the obvious example, but Tait & Johnson both round-armed too so reckon he'd have made it through relatively intact.

None in Malinga's league tho.
He'd sling, but it'd probably be made more "vertical" and in a straight line, rather than the horizontal version that he seems to use.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Extremely clear? You make it sound like we have clowns first up. Steyn is the best in the world but Anderson is better than everyone else, and just took 24 @ 26 in Australia.

Yeah, an overall career record is a good way of assessing how good a player is now when they're only four years into their Test career 8-)

Check Broad's record in England for the last two years and get back to me

Sorry, mistook this post to be from GF..

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't give Broad the new ball, personally. Think Tremlett could prove himself to be quite a bit better than Morkel, but it's early days.

I think our record with the new ball of late speaks for itself. Would be interested to see what the numbers say of course as that is purely my perception.
Dunno how much Tremlett could realistically improve on Morkel's quality. Morkel's averaged around 25 since his recall and if anything those figures don't do him justice. So you're basically conjecturing either that Tremlett will become an ATG or that Morkel will horribly decline and I don't think either are reasonable at the moment.

I mean, you know how highly I rate this England attack, but Steyn/Morkel is about as good as it gets.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, mistook this post to be from GF..
???

Dunno how much Tremlett could realistically improve on Morkel's quality. Morkel's averaged around 25 since his recall and if anything those figures don't do him justice. So you're basically conjecturing either that Tremlett will become an ATG or that Morkel will horribly decline and I don't think either are reasonable at the moment.

I mean, you know how highly I rate this England attack, but Steyn/Morkel is about as good as it gets.
Tremlett's performance in Australia is one of the best this century in a 3-Test series. Numbers-wise, it was very similar to Steyn's performance over there a couple of years ago. Sustaining that level of performance (which obviously won't be easy) would see him performing better than Morkel, or even Tremmers performing just slightly below his Aus performance would. IMO.

And I don't think any other seamer in world cricket could maintain the standards Anderson just did in a five-Test series, although that obviously doesn't come into play that often.

Spark

Global Moderator
Steyn's performance here probably was superior simply because he had less support though.

And he was facing a somewhat stronger lineup.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
???

Tremlett's performance in Australia is one of the best this century in a 3-Test series. Numbers-wise, it was very similar to Steyn's performance over there a couple of years ago. Sustaining that level of performance (which obviously won't be easy) would see him performing better than Morkel, or even Tremmers performing just slightly below his Aus performance would. IMO.

And I don't think any other seamer in world cricket could maintain the standards Anderson just did in a five-Test series, although that obviously doesn't come into play that often.
lol.. replied something thinking it was GF.. then realized it was juz an effect of having stayed up all night.. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
???

Tbf, Tremlett has gone from not being rated (as in, no-one had seen enough to form an opinion) to overrated in a heartbeat

Let's not forget that whilst he bowled brilliantly in a few innings in the Ashes, it was against a pretty rancid batting lineup in helpful conditions so it's hardly fair to assess him on that

Furthermore, he bowled quite a bit of rubbish yesterday in his first outing since the series and was treated on his merits

The truth, as always, lies somewhere in between but I certainly dont think he deserves to be rated alongside Morkel unless he can produce for quite some time yet

Last edited:

Uppercut

I didn't think Tremlett was bowling THAT well. As much as I was unwilling to take anything away from England's overall bowling performance, specifically looking at Tremlett's performance in the context of other bowling performances against batting lineups playing under the same name as the current Australian one is just unnecessarily flattering him. And one of the things I thought England didn't get enough credit for was getting into the heads of the Aussie batsmen by bowling so well at the start of the series. Ponting and Clarke quite visibly were far too out-of-touch to replicate their second-innings knocks at Brisbane and Adelaide respectively by the end of the series. Mental degradation, imo, and an aside to that theory is that Tremlett's figures flatter him somewhat.

Jimmeh still outbowled him pretty comfortably in the tests they played together for mine. Australia played Tremlett's excellent-quality bowling badly, Jimmeh was just unplayable. Steyn a couple of years back was round about Jimmeh's level, a bit less consistent but more lethal when he got it going.

This is all just my perceptions, though. No two people ever see the same game.

Teja.

Global Moderator
In my personal opinion, Tremlett has it in him to perform as well as Morkel at home and better than him in away games in the near future. However, he simply cannot be rated as a genuine <25 bowler based on one series, That'd be like rating Sreesanth as an ATG-level performer after seeing him bowl against SA in 06/07.

IMO, It's just impossible to form an opinion on Tremlett after seeing him bowl for 3 games. Obv. If he can sustain that level of performance, It'd be incredible but you need a decent sample size first before rating him alongside bowlers who've bowled way more in the recent past.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't think Tremlett was bowling THAT well. As much as I was unwilling to take anything away from England's overall bowling performance, specifically looking at Tremlett's performance in the context of other bowling performances against batting lineups playing under the same name as the current Australian one is just unnecessarily flattering him. And one of the things I thought England didn't get enough credit for was getting into the heads of the Aussie batsmen by bowling so well at the start of the series. Ponting and Clarke quite visibly were far too out-of-touch to replicate their second-innings knocks at Brisbane and Adelaide respectively by the end of the series. Mental degradation, imo, and an aside to that theory is that Tremlett's figures flatter him somewhat.

Jimmeh still outbowled him pretty comfortably in the tests they played together for mine. Australia played Tremlett's excellent-quality bowling badly, Jimmeh was just unplayable. Steyn a couple of years back was round about Jimmeh's level, a bit less consistent but more lethal when he got it going.

This is all just my perceptions, though. No two people ever see the same game.
Yeah I'd agree with this.

Teja.

Global Moderator
???

I know it's 1 test less but I reckon Morkel was equally incredible in the 4 test series against England in SA, 2009/10. Dunno if the stats will back me up though.

EDIT:-19 wickets @ 21.47. :notworthy:

Last edited:

Burgey

I know it's 1 test less but I reckon Morkel was equally incredible in the 4 test series against England in SA, 2009/10. Dunno if the stats will back me up though.

Anderson, fortunately for us, wasn't at his best in Perth. With good reason mind you.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In my personal opinion, Tremlett has it in him to perform as well as Morkel at home and better than him in away games in the near future. However, he simply cannot be rated as a genuine <25 bowler based on one series, That'd be like rating Sreesanth as an ATG-level performer after seeing him bowl against SA in 06/07.

IMO, It's just impossible to form an opinion on Tremlett after seeing him bowl for 3 games. Obv. If he can sustain that level of performance, It'd be incredible but you need a decent sample size first before rating him alongside bowlers who've bowled way more in the recent past.
Yeah it's fair enough mate, I am just speculating. And TBF Tremlett bowled like a gun against India in 07 as well.

But anyway my main point wasn't that our new ball attack is better than Saff'a but that the gap is nowhere near as big as SS seemed to imply.

As I say, I'd be interested in some numbers on our productivity with the new ball, why the **** hasn't Cribbage responded by producing some instead of worrying about what TV programmes his bird does and doesn't watch, WAC

Uppercut

His best performance was in the last test too, which certainly doesn't suggest he was in any way running out of steam.