Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87

Thread: Removing statistics against Bangladesh and Zimbawe

  1. #1
    U19 Captain NZ Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    626

    Removing statistics against Bangladesh and Zimbawe

    Think this thread needs to be made as I would like to debate with those people who think that it is perfectly reasonable completely discount a players achievements simply because it was against a lesser team. Seriously dont understand it, it really is just a way of manipulating stats to help your argument isn't it? Because people use this argument the other way around and put down a player who does not score well against BD/Zim. Doesn't seem quite fair to me :/

  2. #2
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ Guy View Post
    just a way of manipulating stats to help your argument
    Thats exactly what it is.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    9,969
    Leaving out the minnows...

    see this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  4. #4
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    11,113
    Well yeah people do use it to suit their argument, but the fact is, Zimbabwe haven't beaten a test-standard side since like 2001, and Bangladesh ever.
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.


  5. #5
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,647
    While there are exceptions, I generally do think a player's record excluding Bangladesh/Zimbabwe is a better indicator of how they've performed and how they're likely to perform in the future than their record including them. That's all it is. I'm consistent with it, so it's not misleading.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  6. #6
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,224
    I think both arguments have merit, in all honesty. The fact is that Bangladesh in particular have never had a test-worthy bowling attack and their batting is only just getting there, so if a player's figures against them are massively above their overall record I'm inclined to treat them with a pinch of salt.

    He's a vastly improved player, finally doing something like justice to his ability, but Bell must average over 100 versus the Banglas. I'g guess his average drops 2-3 runs if his performances versus then are expunged.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  7. #7
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,641
    This is a good topic.

    Over the last one year or so, I find myself moving more towards the view that removing statistics against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, especially Bangladesh is silly.

    The reason for that is, cricket is not a black and white sport. There are lot of things which do not follow strict logic and rules. Take Virender Sehwag's record against Bangladesh. Here is a batsman who is considered a butcher, one of the best opening batsmen, has scored runs against everyone..his only weakness seem to be the bouncy wickets or the ball moving around. Neither does Bangladesh have a Dale Steyn nor do they have a Jame Anderson.
    Yet Sehwag averages 35 against Bangladesh for whatever reason. If you're going to take out his stats against them, you are clearly manipulating them. If he does poorly against them because he does not take them seriously, then that should go against him as a cricketer. If he does poorly against them because Bangladesh bowl well to him, then credit should be given where its due. I have seen Masrafe get Sehwag out a couple of times with the moving ball. Yet you will never hear anyone mentioning that Sehwag could actually be outfoxed by a Bangladeshi bowler. Its blasphemy.

    Now that Bangladesh is improving, this is getting even more ridiculous. Swann is considered the best spinner in the world. Over the last 2 years or so he has taken wickets consistently against all oppositions and outfoxed some of the best batsmen including Ponting, Kallis, Yousuf.
    Yet you look at how well Tamim Iqbal played Swann in Bangladesh when England toured there..If people are going to ignore that just because "oh its Bangladesh" then they are just being stupid.

    As I said before, things are not black and white in cricket and those who propose a blanket rule on taking out Bangladesh when observing stats do not realize that.

    Pakistani batting sides over the last two years have at times been absolutely pathetic. I can argue that the wickets Anderson and Broad took against them last summer should be ignored because that batting order would not even make it to the Bangladesh test side..but then you wont find many supporters.

    It is actually quite hypocritical. People will take take out stats when it suits them.. and include stats when it suits them.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    It depends for mine. If you take it out of the equation every single time like PEWS mentioned, then fair enough. But if you point out that one player's record (eg. Bell, Murali) is boosted unfairly by Bangladesh/Zimbabwe, then surely it should also count against a player when they don't have those sort of dominating figures? That is, if you're discounting a few players' records against them because 'it's Bangladesh' and players are expected to perform against them, it has to work the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  9. #9
    International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    2,641
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    It depends for mine. If you take it out of the equation every single time like PEWS mentioned, then fair enough. But if you point out that one player's record (eg. Bell, Murali) is boosted unfairly by Bangladesh/Zimbabwe, then surely it should also count against a player when they don't have those sort of dominating figures? That is, if you're discounting a few players' records against them because 'it's Bangladesh' and players are expected to perform against them, it has to work the other way.
    EXACTLY my point.

    If Bell and Murali have such awesome records against Bangaldesh, who has prevented the other players to do the same? If it is so easy to score centuries or take wickets against a particular team, then how come not everyone has the same record against them? Why does Sehwag average 35 against them? Why are Swann's figures not as great against them as Murali's?


    Some players tend to perform brilliantly against particular teams..there is no particular reason for that..its just one of those things the makes cricket such a charming sport..Not everything is mechanical and not everything can be explained by numbers.
    Ijaz Ahmed of Pakistan..a mediocre batsman who averaged in the 30s..yet take a look at his record against Australia (that had McGrath and Warne)
    Saleem Mallik, another mediocre batsman, called a flat track bully by Imran Khan yet he was perhaps the best Pakistani player against Shane Warne, far ahead of Inzamam, Yousuf and others.

    Alastair Cook, I havent seen him perform the way he did in this Ashes against anyone else..yet no one seems to consider that a statistical anomaly.

    VVS Laxman - averages 55 against Australia and 39 against Bangladesh.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 14-01-2011 at 01:02 AM.

  10. #10
    U19 Captain NZ Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    This is a good topic.

    Over the last one year or so, I find myself moving more towards the view that removing statistics against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, especially Bangladesh is silly.

    The reason for that is, cricket is not a black and white sport. There are lot of things which do not follow strict logic and rules. Take Virender Sehwag's record against Bangladesh. Here is a batsman who is considered a butcher, one of the best opening batsmen, has scored runs against everyone..his only weakness seem to be the bouncy wickets or the ball moving around. Neither does Bangladesh have a Dale Steyn nor do they have a Jame Anderson.
    Yet Sehwag averages 35 against Bangladesh for whatever reason. If you're going to take out his stats against them, you are clearly manipulating them. If he does poorly against them because he does not take them seriously, then that should go against him as a cricketer. If he does poorly against them because Bangladesh bowl well to him, then credit should be given where its due. I have seen Masrafe get Sehwag out a couple of times with the moving ball. Yet you will never hear anyone mentioning that Sehwag could actually be outfoxed by a Bangladeshi bowler. Its blasphemy.

    Now that Bangladesh is improving, this is getting even more ridiculous. Swann is considered the best spinner in the world. Over the last 2 years or so he has taken wickets consistently against all oppositions and outfoxed some of the best batsmen including Ponting, Kallis, Yousuf.
    Yet you look at how well Tamim Iqbal played Swann in Bangladesh when England toured there..If people are going to ignore that just because "oh its Bangladesh" then they are just being stupid.

    As I said before, things are not black and white in cricket and those who propose a blanket rule on taking out Bangladesh when observing stats do not realize that.

    Pakistani batting sides over the last two years have at times been absolutely pathetic. I can argue that the wickets Anderson and Broad took against them last summer should be ignored because that batting order would not even make it to the Bangladesh test side..but then you wont find many supporters.

    It is actually quite hypocritical. People will take take out stats when it suits them.. and include stats when it suits them
    .
    Agree with everything bolded

  11. #11
    U19 Captain NZ Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    626
    Also, correct me if Im wrong but do we ever hear past players records against NZ, Pak, SL and India when they were introduced to tests being taken away? Or does that scratch the rose tinted glasses?

  12. #12
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,072
    i am for removing stats against minnows while comparing players from within this era. why not? it is probably more sensible to rate a player higher if he performs better against tougher opponents, right?

    also, some players get to play the minnows more. for example, the sri lankans play the zims and bangs more often than others. even indians play bangs more than, for example, the aussies. if those easier runs and wickets are tilting an argument in an indian cricketer's favor, or in murali's favor against warne, then it doesnt sound like a fair stat to me. i would also remove the stats against minnows while comparing a sachin with a viv because viv richards didnt play minnows in his career and as a consequence his average against top teams will be less than sachin's overall average including minnows, and that is unfair too.

    but if you are comparing players from different eras, a hammond with tendulkar, for example, then it is better to leave the minnows in because it is very complicated to compare minnows of different eras and decide how much to value one's performances against them in respective decades.

  13. #13
    International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    6,033
    So will we remove India, Pakistan from Sobers era as well?
    CricZo XI - Draft League

    Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

    Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

    Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    Yeah, I've posted my view on this before. Runs are only worth anything if they might help change the result of a cricket match in your favour, and since Bangladesh have so far lost every game they've played against a test-standard opposition, it's fair to say that the chance of a batsman's runs changing the result is small enough that it's better to discount it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    i am for removing stats against minnows while comparing players from within this era. why not? it is probably more sensible to rate a player higher if he performs better against tougher opponents, right?

    also, some players get to play the minnows more. for example, the sri lankans play the zims and bangs more often than others. even indians play bangs more than, for example, the aussies. if those easier runs and wickets are tilting an argument in an indian cricketer's favor, or in murali's favor against warne, then it doesnt sound like a fair stat to me. i would also remove the stats against minnows while comparing a sachin with a viv because viv richards didnt play minnows in his career and as a consequence his average against top teams will be less than sachin's overall average including minnows, and that is unfair too.

    but if you are comparing players from different eras, a hammond with tendulkar, for example, then it is better to leave the minnows in because it is very complicated to compare minnows of different eras and decide how much to value one's performances against them in respective decades.
    But don't aus play west indies alot more than india? So that evens it out imo.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •