• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali - Hero or Villain?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ripping good read, Mr f.

Must admit I'm still very much an agnostic when it comes to Murali's action. An often overlooked point is that, notwithstanding his deformed elbow and preternaturally flexible wrist, sometimes his action "looks" worse than on other occasions. My suspicion is that when he does try to impart a little extra "fizz" on deliveries he gets exceedingly close to the tolerance threshold.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Great article. For me, the issue is as simple as this: if Murali throws, so does Glenn McGrath. And He does not throw. Argument over. The luddites can crow to their hearts content.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fantastic article.

Do you have any links to the findings of the 2004 study? There's an Aussie on another forum I'm on who's being a completely sore loser and insisting that Australia have won 6 World Cups, because they were "cheated" in 1992, and the 1996 win was invalid because "Murali chucks." I've tried the "McGrath was clocked at 12 degrees" argument, so far unsuccessfully.

gvenkat

State Captain
Fantastic article.

Do you have any links to the findings of the 2004 study? There's an Aussie on another forum I'm on who's being a completely sore loser and insisting that Australia have won 6 World Cups, because they were "cheated" in 1992, and the 1996 win was invalid because "Murali chucks." I've tried the "McGrath was clocked at 12 degrees" argument, so far unsuccessfully.
How were they cheated?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Great article. Sir Don's comments at the end were are amazing. Another reason, why he is the greatest.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fantastic article.

I can't find the exact article, but here are a couple on the subject that allude to the results:
Dubai stages summit meeting on suspect bowling actions | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
Murali's redemption, and our arrogance | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Also get him to watch this:
YouTube - Proof that Muttiah Muralitharan does not chuck

As that second link states about the video,
They turned as you'd expect them to, though they were a bit slower - the weight of the brace would have accounted for that. Remarkably, despite the brace, it still appeared as though he was straightening his arm, even in the slow-motion replays - it was, clearly and uncontestably in this case, an optical illusion.
There definitely used to be an article about it which pointed out that the only bowler tested at the Champions Trophy that didn't go over the allowed degree at the time was (IIRC) Ramnaresh Sarwan and his legbreaks. Just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Boom

ICC study reveals that 99% of bowlers throw

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I can't find the exact article, but here are a couple on the subject that allude to the results:
Dubai stages summit meeting on suspect bowling actions | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
Murali's redemption, and our arrogance | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Also get him to watch this:
YouTube - Proof that Muttiah Muralitharan does not chuck

As that second link states about the video,

There definitely used to be an article about it which pointed out that the only bowler tested at the Champions Trophy that didn't go over the allowed degree at the time was (IIRC) Ramnaresh Sarwan and his legbreaks. Just can't seem to find it.

Edit: Boom

ICC study reveals that 99% of bowlers throw
Sarwan - greatest bowler of all time? should be next for Martin.. :p

BTW, Kumar Dharmasena was definitely not a left arm orthodox bowler.. Right Arm Offspin..

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's interesting to see that those comments from Bradman came when Murali was just beginning to achieve greatness as a bowler.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BTW, Kumar Dharmasena was definitely not a left arm orthodox bowler.. Right Arm Offspin..
I'd like to claim that was a deliberate mistake to see who was awake but sadly I can't - it just goes to show I should always check primary source material for accuracy!

Thanks for pointing it out

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Great article. For me, the issue is as simple as this: if Murali throws, so does Glenn McGrath. And He does not throw. Argument over. The luddites can crow to their hearts content.
For you it might be..

I completely fail to understand your logic. Explain?

Argument isn't over, and it never will be..I think he throws, so do many people around the world. I don't even think he's a cricketer. Chucks it, decidedly average in the field, doesn't get in line and slogs with bat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For you it might be..

Argument isn't over, and it never will be..I think he throws, so do many people around the world. I don't even think he's a cricketer. Chucks it, decidedly average in the field, doesn't get in line and slogs with bat.
GOAT bowler though.. And a LOT seem to agree. :dry:

And yeah, in all of this, forgot to congratulate F on a really well-written article. Given the nature of the issue being discussed, you have very clevely managed to sidestep some potential landmines.. :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
For you it might be..

Loads of people in the world think that some big dude in the sky created the world in six days, it doesn't make them right.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The rules were wrong and this was bound to happen eventually. Unfortunately for Murali, it happened to him and even more unfortunate is that he happens to be one of the greatest bowlers of all-time. This means his achievements, to some people, will always be tainted. Wrongly.