• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

Is Steyn as deadly as Lillee?

• Total voters

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hands up who has actually seen that series in Pakistan in 1980? Not everything can be gleaned from a look at a scorecard. Didnt Imran Khan refuse to play because the pitches were just TOO flat? Ridiculous pitches, pathetic viewing. Both sides barely tried.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't Worry. You'll learn with time that it's blasphemy to criticize Lillee, Warne or Pointing. But bear in mind that it's only the Tendulkar fans who are hyper sensitive. :ph34r:
So true.:laugh:

And the criticism that they get is nothing compared to the pedantic issues that Tendulkar gets criticised for.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
NZ has always had green tops though. Certainly between 2002 and 2006 there were some ridiculously flat English and Australian decks and that has changed significantly over the past 4 years or so.
For the past 4 years at least, the wickets in NZ have been slow roads. Even the 3 day test at Hamilton last week was played on a flat deck.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
actually steyn was rusty and not fully fit. Nothing like that for Lillee in that Pak tour. Read my post regarding that series in Pak as well.

Besides there is a difference between averaging 46 in a 2 test series to averaging 100+ in a 3 test series
One bad test. By bad I mean Hilf bad :ph34r:

Burgey

Hands up who has actually seen that series in Pakistan in 1980? Not everything can be gleaned from a look at a scorecard. Didnt Imran Khan refuse to play because the pitches were just TOO flat? Ridiculous pitches, pathetic viewing. Both sides barely tried.
There was that great moment before one of them when two decks were prepared, one greener than the other. In an attempt to have the groundsman use the green one, Lillee spectacularly feigned a back injury at practice the day before and was carried from the ground. Didn't work!

abmk

State 12th Man
Haven't seen that series. The first test was low-scoring :

225,292,140,76/3

second and third tests were high scoring

imran played in the 1st and 3rd tests

2/28 in the first innings of the 1st test
2/86 in the first innings of the 3rd test and 2/30 in the 2nd innings

that's 6 wickets @ 24 !

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn has the best strike of all time.

Is he as deadly as Lillee? He is even more deadlier ,tbh.

I know seeing him hit around on occasion by the likes of Sehwag,Sachin it seems at present he is not great and there is a image in mosts mind about the best bowler ever being Someone who was absolutely unplayable every time ,there is always a case of romantacising the past.

There is a case of remembering only the highs of the past players and not remembering when they were also hit around the park on occasions. And so comes the thought surely someone who we have watched live struggle cannot be greater than the bowler 30 years ago about whom we have read fables about?
So hence,come the silly excuses like there not being other fast bowlers around and so on.

robelinda

No doubt Imran was a magnificent bowler, criminally underrated. I would have him so far ahead of Kallis as the best all rounder ever.

Teja.

Global Moderator
No doubt Imran was a magnificent bowler, criminally underrated. I would have him so far ahead of Kallis as the best all rounder ever.
In terms of value added to the side, I'd have him right after Bradman in the post 1920 period tbh.

tooextracool

International Coach
For the past 4 years at least, the wickets in NZ have been slow roads. Even the 3 day test at Hamilton last week was played on a flat deck.
Its hard to see how the wickets when England toured in 2008 were roads to be honest, and I would say the same about some of the wickets Pakistan played on. Im sure there were some roads in the India series and the WI series though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with this. Since 2007 we've seen some seriously competitive bowling conditions, especially in South Africa, England and even Australia. Dont think the flat track stuff is relevant for Steyn, certainly not as it was for McGrath.
We never get credit for preparing bowling friendly tracks. Other than for SSC, all other SL grounds are unkind for batsmen. Especially Dambulla.

Burgey

Steyn has the best strike of all time.

Is he as deadly as Lillee? He is even more deadlier ,tbh.

I know seeing him hit around on occasion by the likes of Sehwag,Sachin it seems at present he is not great and there is a image in mosts mind about the best bowler ever being Someone who was absolutely unplayable every time ,there is always a case of romantacising the past.

There is a case of remembering only the highs of the past players and not remembering when they were also hit around the park on occasions. And so comes the thought surely someone who we have watched live struggle cannot be greater than the bowler 30 years ago about whom we have read fables about?
So hence,come the silly excuses like there not being other fast bowlers around and so on.
What if you watched them both live?

They're not dissimilar btw, in terms of method. Steyn now is certainly faster than Lillee from say WSC onwards (without being scientific with these things). Lillee developed these crazy leg cutters and off cutters as well as he got older. Good thing about Steyn is he's still growing and learning as a bowler.

If Steyn hangs about for a few years more at a similar level (not even as good as he is now) he'll likely go down as an all timer IMO. That's just a personal view of mine, in that to be rated that highly I think longevity is important.

robelinda

Gotta say, never rated Kapil Dev at all. Never impressed me a whole lot, i know thats bad!!!! Always rated Imran ahead of all the all rounders at the time ( Botham, Hadlee etc). I'm probably all wrong but i always thought of Kapil as a poor mans Imran.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
We never get credit for preparing bowling friendly tracks. Other than for SSC, all other SL grounds are unkind for batsmen. Especially Dambulla.
Even Galle, where a ropey Windies put 550+ on Sri Lanka and Gayle got 300?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Just out of interest,where will you have Kapil Dev in terms of value added to the side?
I dunno. Somewhere with Botham after Imran, Sobers, Miller, Hadlee, Kallis and Pollock and Murali but before Gavaskar, Chappell, McG, Tendulkar, Akram et al.

Kapil's extraordinariness lies in his fitness and his ability to bowl and bat for so long at a good level without any significant lows or injuries, if at a lesser level of greatness than some other all-rounders but with much better fitness. Unfortunately my assesment of player's greatness does not take fitness thaat much into account unless in freak cases like Bond and Asif.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Kapil under-rated to my mind, with bat and ball. The man's batting SR was 80+. That is phenomenal.

I'd seriously consider him over Imran as an all-rounder in my side, except for Imran's bowling (and possibly his captaincy) swinging it.

Last edited: