• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next ashes year schedule, you guys seen this, CRAZY???

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Just looked it up, next Ashes is 2013, as we knew, but then England come straight here for the 2013/14 summer for 5 tests, who on earth agreed to that??? apparently the next seasn's World Cup in Australia meant Cricket Australia didnt want The Ashes clashing so they moved it a season earlier. That is insane, can you imagine losing to England TEN TESTS IN ONE YEAR????

Spark

Global Moderator
Jonathan Agnew mentioned this during Melbourne. Insane stuff.

EDIT: We play a stack of ODIs in between IIRC

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's ridiculous.

That sense of anticipation just won't be the same on the first morning of the second series.

robelinda

I'm shocked. Cant believe more people here havent registered disgust seeing its already known, i'm in disbelief our board would do this to our struggling team, reminds me of that woeful 1984- we played WI in back to back 5 test series and got the biggest thrashing, then England did the same thing scheduling back to back 5 test series!

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I wasn't at home at the time otherwise I'd have posted, but it's truly ridiculous.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This is ****ing awful.

This surely can't happen. I refuse to believe both organistations will stand for it.

CA have had no problem taking part in a World Cup a month after the Ashes since '99. They may have noticed - the standard practise was thrash England, win the WC. Easy.

If they absolutely had to move it they should have moved it a year back - if England can wait two and a half years for the Ashes to come here, so can Australia. A ****ing dick move of the highest order.

Spikey

but none of those wc's have been hosted in australia. moving the ashes makes sense to me, but as above it should be a year back

robelinda

Can I say again, I dont believe it, i'm actually angry. Screw the world cup, it may not even exist in 3 years the way 20 20 is going. Back to back Ashes is truly stupid, for both teams.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Ashes moving a year forward is a permanent move. The next series in England after 2013 will be in 2016 IIRC so the gap will return to what it is now. To stop the WC clashing

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I read about this a while ago and didn't think much of it. Not ideal but needs to be done if they want to get off the WC cycle.

morgieb

Ashes and World Cup in the same year would've been awesome for audiences and revenue you'd think.....

vcs

That's ridiculous.

That sense of anticipation just won't be the same on the first morning of the second series.
So true. Everybody will be sick and tired of it by the third Test of the second series..

flibbertyjibber

Why not move it to the year after instead of the year before. Yes it would mean a longer wait but better for fans and players that way surely?

Uppercut

I read about this a while ago and didn't think much of it. Not ideal but needs to be done if they want to get off the WC cycle.
Yeah, this.

It's only for one year and in the long run it has to be done at some stage. It sure as hell won't stop me from quivering with excitement on the eve of the next Ashes in Australia, especially if the series in England is a good one, but the three-and-a-half year wait for more Ashes will be pretty painful.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So true. Everybody will be sick and tired of it by the third Test of the second series..
Beating Australia never gets boring.

I think it's a necessary move - I'd far rather we were in Bangladesh or Sri Lanka just now playing an ODI series and acclimatising to subcontinental conditions than playing a pointless 7 match series against Australia.

Dunno about you guys, but I'd also like to see an end to long ODI series after the Ashes. I much preferred the series we had in England 6 months ago - as it was played completely in isolation, it meant far more IMO than either of the 7 match series that were played after the Ashes. Given how important the urn is, I think an Ashes tour by either side should be purely focused on the Ashes - we can tour the other for an ODI series in non-ashes years (which IMO would intensify the rivalry, it sucks that the only time we might play each other between now and 2013 is in ICC tournaments.)

Last edited:

Uppercut

Dunno about you guys, but I'd also like to see an end to long ODI series after the Ashes. I much preferred the series we had in England 6 months ago - as it was played completely in isolation, it meant far more IMO than either of the 7 match series that were played after the Ashes. Given how important the urn is, I think an Ashes tour by either side should be purely focused on the Ashes - we can tour the other for an ODI series in non-ashes years (which IMO would intensify the rivalry, it sucks that the only time we might play each other is in ICC tournaments. )
Yeah, it's just how things are done in Australia but a lot of us complained ahead of the '09 Ashes that playing the ODIs before the test series would be preferable in just about every way.