• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next ashes year schedule, you guys seen this, CRAZY???

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, it's just how things are done in Australia but a lot of us complained ahead of the '09 Ashes that playing the ODIs before the test series would be preferable in just about every way.
IMO we should be flying out somewhere else for an ODI series, and after the Ashes in 2013 Australia should be playing someone else in ODIs, and we should have someone like South Africa or India over for an ODI series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ashes and World Cup in the same year would've been awesome for audiences and revenue you'd think.....
Dunno - I know ticket prices are cheaper over there but I'd imagine some people would find themselves choosing one or the other to attend.

Anyway this has obviously been done to spare our players an excessively long stay in Australia, no-one deserves that treatment.

Home cycle will clash with Euros and Olympics, could take public attention away from the cricketers.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah, it's just how things are done in Australia but a lot of us complained ahead of the '09 Ashes that playing the ODIs before the test series would be preferable in just about every way.
Hmm, I dunno. Would the Ashes have been the same if Broad/Harris broke his ankle and was out of the Ashes while playing one of the 7 meaningless ODIs?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yep playing ODIs before the Tests would be such a better option, but it just doesn't seem to happen. Obviously I'd prefer only 3 of them though

I always thought it'd be better to shuffle the tests around so that they are mainly in December and January - Kids are on school holidays and lots of people are off work around the holiday period

Howe_zat

Audio File
So wait, what date would the 2013 Ashes in England be?
This is pretty important - A May/June series would be something different and would give us the chance to see a hopefully low-scoring series in contrasting conditions to that in Australia. Plus, it'd give us more time between the series, perhaps they will be able to have someone else tour here like South Africa, who are also due to tour that summer.

Knowing the ECB, they'll organise it for August / September and have nothing but Ashes for seven months.

Spark

Global Moderator
Why even bother giving the Ashes in England anyway? If they're going to lump them so close, make it worthwhile and hand out the Ashes once on Jan 5/6/7 2014.

Either way the end of the first series is going to be odd. Whoever wins will be aware that it'll be pretty pointless if they don't back it up down here, and whoever loses will think "OK, but we'll have another crack... in two months".

I doubt we'll see the same scenes of utter jubilation/despair like we've seen over the last few years after the first series.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
South Africa are coming in 2012 aren't they? 5 years is far too long between series, and both of them coming over in the same summer would be dire.

Plus, according to the FTP, West Indies are coming in 2012 for 3 Tests and 3 ODIs, which leaves a 4 Test, 7 ODI gap - only South Africa really fit the bill for that one.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Why even bother giving the Ashes in England anyway? If they're going to lump them so close, make it worthwhile and hand out the Ashes once on Jan 5/6/7 2014.

Either way the end of the first series is going to be odd. Whoever wins will be aware that it'll be pretty pointless if they don't back it up down here, and whoever loses will think "OK, but we'll have another crack... in two months".

I doubt we'll see the same scenes of utter jubilation/despair like we've seen over the last few years after the first series.
Yeah but the winners in England know they can just draw in Australia.

It's not all pointless. Not ideal either, but at least they haven't started 20/20 Ashes or something.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but the winners in England know they can just draw in Australia.

It's not all pointless. Not ideal either, but at least they haven't started 20/20 Ashes or something.
Oh yeah obviously but I'm just saying after the first series... it just won't feel right

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Oh yeah obviously but I'm just saying after the first series... it just won't feel right
Meh. Four month bragging rights.

I'd be a big fan if they start the Gabba test about 10 days later than normal. Followed by Adelaide. Then Melbourne, Sydney and have Perth as last.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

My thoughts exactly. Dumb move by aus

Ruckus

International Captain
It obviously depends on the result in England, but I think the main problem will be the attendence. If we get hammered in England, which is probably the most likely at this stage, I really can't see many people in Aus wanting to fork out money and watch the next series a few months later. On the other hand though, if we win in convincing fashion, it might actually boost attendence because people obviously love backing a successful team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think its too early to realistically predict the outcome of the next Ashes. It's two and a half years away; look back two and a half years and nobody would have predicted the Ashes that's just happened.

That being said, at this stage you have to say England will win by five.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Home cycle will clash with Euros and Olympics, could take public attention away from the cricketers.
Not necessarily, Euros will take place in June/Early July, Ashes will be Late July/August. All eyes will be on the Ashes as England desperately search for some sporting heroes after their footballers fail again anyway.

Plus, a summer with European Championships and Ashes cricket will be gun.