• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your country's top three future stars

Eds

International Debutant
Was having a think about this the other day, and interested to know other people's thoughts, on various countries.

Obviously it's very hard to accurately predict how a player is going to turn out, but I'd say there's enough information available to make a rough estimate. I'm basing this on how well I think the player will turn out. You can judge it however you want as long as your primary thought is how the players will turn out in the future. This could be at any point you like, or even at their respective peaks.

For England, I'd go for:

1. Steven Finn
2. James Taylor
3. James Harris

Finn just about edges Taylor out of top spot due to the fact he's only 21 and already has ~200 FC wickets, which is excellent. Also having already broken into the first team (granted, Taylor is in contention to), he's got Test Experience which puts him a step above Taylor and Harris. Taylor gets in because he's already in the Lions and in contention for the vacant #6 jersey in the England lineup. Was also very tempted to go for Adil Rashid (didn't realise he was quite as young as 22) and Chris Woakes in the #3 slot, but went for Harris instead.

So, what's yours?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
1. Kohli
2. Pujara/Rahane (hard to choose so I'm cheating)
3. Ashwin

No fast bowlers as usual.

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
1. Kohli
3. Ashwin

Ya Ashwin...And i think rahane have very good record at limited overs cricket

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Kohli
3. Ashwin

The selectors seem to rate Mukund ahead of Rahane while forumers (GI Joe aside, IIRC) don't. What's the reason for that exactly?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Kohli
Pujara
x

I honestly can't name a third. Well, not anyone that is guaranteed to not turn into another Raina or Unadkat. Maybe Sharma, he's still young and has a long way to go. He should be allowed a season or two of FC cricket.

The selectors seem to rate Mukund ahead of Rahane while forumers (GI Joe aside, IIRC) don't. What's the reason for that exactly?
1. Left Hander
2. Opener
3. Tamil Nadu ( i know how badri life is destroyed by other state selectors but Rahane is definitely better than Mukund)

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's the cut-off age/experience for this? Could we pick Broad or Morgan for example?

Personally I'm rather more excited about Chris Woakes than James Harris.

Also, as a Tigers fan I'm loving your avatar.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's played more matches and averages 69 is a start. Rahane scored 1089 runs last season. That's ridiculously epic.

The reason the selectors choose Mukund in squads is because he's an opening batsman, and he's seen as the 4th best opening batsman in India.

Rahane has previously been seen to be behind Yuvraj, Badrinath, Pujara, Vijay (can bat 3) and most likely Kohli.

In short, it's easier to break into the squad as an opening batsman.

Mukund is from Chennai though, WAG.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's played more matches and averages 69 is a start. Rahane scored 1089 runs last season. That's ridiculously epic.

The reason the selectors choose Mukund in squads is because he's an opening batsman, and he's seen as the 4th best opening batsman in India.

Rahane has previously been seen to be behind Yuvraj, Badrinath, Pujara, Vijay (can bat 3) and most likely Kohli.

In short, it's easier to break into the squad as an opening batsman.

Mukund is from Chennai though, WAG.
For some reason I thought Rahane was an opener as well. I know he's batted three a lot but I thought he was comfortable in both positions. Didn't he open in the tour game against Australian and make big runs? Or did he bat three there too?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's not that I don't rate Rahane, just that I don't want to comment on a player I haven't watched. He could be the next Wasim Jaffer for all I know. I haven't been able to watch a decent amount of domestic cricket the last couple of years. I hadn't watched a lot of Pujara before his debut too, but he tonned up regularly on A tours too, which made it easier for me to push for his selection. Mukund is a good shout, but Vijay will have to consistently put in poor performances in the limited opportunities he gets before Mukund gets a go instead.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tiwary playing that game ahead of Badrinath is a bit lame.

Sure Badrinath isn't young, but Sree and Gambhir played. Would have been interesting to see how Badrinath went against Johnson and Hilf.

Eds

International Debutant
What's the cut-off age/experience for this? Could we pick Broad or Morgan for example?

Personally I'm rather more excited about Chris Woakes than James Harris.

Also, as a Tigers fan I'm loving your avatar.
As I said, go with whatever you feel is reasonable. IMO, a youngster is 23 or below, but I imagine some people's opinions will differ there.

(Y) Yeah, love the bloke. Not a Tigers fan myself, or Bath for that matter, but seriously appreciative of how good he is.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would have to concur with Taylor and (especially) Finn for England, but remain to be convinced by Harris or Woakes, so will go for Somerset's elastic wristed wunderkind Jos Buttler as my third choice.

Saw him a few times last season and the kid's absolutely fearless and plays innovative, proper cricket shots. Check out his strike-rate for T20 & List A.