• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Blaze 18

Banned
To simplify things, let us only consider first choice attacks and Test matches.

My ratings (best to worst)

1) South Africa
2) England
3) Australia
4) India
5) Pakistan (when Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir return, I would have them at two)
6) Sri Lanka
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At first-choice.....

1) South Africa
2) Pakistan
3) England
4) West Indies
5) India
6) Australia
7) Sri Lanka
8) New Zealand
9) Bangladesh

However, that's a bit far-fetched.

Evermind

International Debutant
At first-choice.....

1) South Africa
2) Pakistan
3) England
4) West Indies
5) India
6) Australia
7) Sri Lanka
8) New Zealand
9) Bangladesh

However, that's a bit far-fetched.
India and WI ahead of Australia???? Serious?

smash84

The Tiger King

1) South Africa
2) England
3) Australia
4) India
5) Pakistan (when Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Aamir return, I would have them at two)
6) Sri Lanka
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
If Amir and Asif return which is highly unlikely then I would place Pakistan's attack above SA. Considering the fact that Pakistan definitely have the better spin options.

And yes I will place India's attack ahead of australia. Their bowling looks dire tbh. And The WI attack should be above the NZ attack i think.

Last edited:

morgieb

India and WI ahead of Australia???? Serious?
We're just that dire.

West Indies's bowling attack is actually pretty good, it's just that Taylor and Edwards never play so it looks pretty meh. India's isn't great but it at least wins them tests....

Blaze 18

Banned
If Amir and Asif return which is highly unlikely then I would place Pakistan's attack above SA. Considering the fact that Pakistan definitely have the better spin options.

And yes I will place India's attack ahead of australia. Their bowling looks dire tbh. And The WI attack should be above the NZ attack i think.
The name is Steyn, Dale Steyn.

TumTum

Banned
We're just that dire.

West Indies's bowling attack is actually pretty good, it's just that Taylor and Edwards never play so it looks pretty meh. India's isn't great but it at least wins them tests....
Ours is better though... I mean I know it just got it's arse kicked but c'mon get real.

Evermind

International Debutant
Hmm...maybe I agree with you there about WI, but surely, Johnson, Siddle, Harris, Bollinger > Khan, Sreesanth, Sharma, Harbhajan?

My ratings:

1) Pakistan with cheats (Amir, Asif, Chucktar, Gul = great attack)
2) South Africa
3) England
4) SL (with Malinga)
5) Australia
6) Pakistan without cheats (Gul, and....errr....Gul?)
7) WI
8) India
9) NZ
10) Bangladesh

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, if we're including spot-fixers, constantly injured mugs, and other miscellaneous, i would say:

Pakistan
England
South Africa
Australia
India
West Indies
Sri Lanka
New Zealand
Bangladesh

TumTum

Banned

1) South Africa
2) England
3) Australia
4) India
6) Sri Lanka
7) New Zealand
8) West Indies
9) Bangladesh
Just a couple of changes for me; IND > AUS & WI > NZ

smash84

The Tiger King
Shoaib Akhtar doesn't play tests, Evermind.
even though chuckter doesn't play tests but still an attack of cheats > attack of non-cheats :p

Gul, Amir, Asif, Wahab Riaz, Ajmal, Hussain > Steyn, Morkel, Kallis, Harris, Botha IMO

vcs

India not even top 5 in some of these rankings? Lol.

It's as if actual results don't even matter to some people.

smash84

The Tiger King
India not even top 5 in some of these rankings? Lol.

It's as if actual results don't even matter to some people.
VCS you are forgetting that India are number 1 because of their stellar batting. Their bowling with the exception of Zaheer and Bhajji is dire.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The Australian attack has been seriously picked apart this series. Realistically, the only top drawer opposition it's beaten was SA 2009, and that was thanks largely to a Johnson that almost never turns up any more.

I think the Indian attack is pretty underrated, especially Zaheer Khan, or when they can get away with two spinners. The WI attack is pretty much Roach on his own right now. New Zealand's only saving grace is Vettori, and the fact that Bangladesh still haven't found a good seamer who can play Tests.

South Africa
England
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
West Indies
New Zealand
Bangladesh

vcs

VCS you are forgetting that India are number 1 because of their stellar batting. Their bowling with the exception of Zaheer and Bhajji is dire.
I have made this post about a million times in the past without people taking notice, but here goes again..

India recently won a series-tying Test in SL with a bowling "attack" of Ishant, Mithun, Ojha and Mishra, with Sehwag as our strike bowler. I'd like to see England win a Test in SL without Anderson and Swann. Or SA without Steyn and Morkel. India have become fairly adept at this business of winning Test matches consistently even without things going in our favour, as our long run of tosses proves. Also tonked NZ by an innings and 200 runs recently in a deciding Test without Zaheer.

Copied from here, and the responses were conspicuous by their absence.

vcs

The Australian attack has been seriously picked apart this series. Realistically, the only top drawer opposition it's beaten was SA 2009, and that was thanks largely to a Johnson that almost never turns up any more.

I think the Indian attack is pretty underrated, especially Zaheer Khan, or when they can get away with two spinners. The WI attack is pretty much Roach on his own right now. New Zealand's only saving grace is Vettori, and the fact that Bangladesh still haven't found a good seamer who can play Tests.

South Africa
England
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Australia
West Indies
New Zealand
Bangladesh
Much more realistic.