• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
18 wickets in 7 games at an average of 40 is certainly not the best result. Even if you say that he was good since he was playing a support role to Steyn I can turn it around and say that he was disappointing since he could not capitalize on the excellent bowling provided by Steyn from the other end.
Fair enough, but in anycase they did well as a attack together on most occasions and those records include some absolutely flat wickets like in UAE and Chennai once.

On the other hand England played a very settled Pakistan side brimming with confidence while SA played them when it was Misbah's first series as skipper and the team's confidence was at an all time low. SA bowlers also had the opportunity to bowl with big scores behind them. Having watched the two series extensivley I know for sure which bunch of bowlers were constantly threatening the batsman and bowled better subcontinental lengths.
Completely disagree here. Both series are inequitable for me due to the difference in pitches which was massive(and was the reason for the big scores either side). And in anycase Pakistan batsman were brimming with confidence before this series? Which ones?

Also Subcontinent is not limited to these 2 series which seem to be the basis for everything for you. Around the same time SA bowlers were relatively struggling on the flat wickets of UAE, the English ones weren't all that flash in Bangladesh IIRC. Steyn alone is a big standout in terms of all visiting bowlers to the subcontinent in recent times and makes a massive difference.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I was laughing at Xuhaib quoting you from some place earlier which seems to be going against what you said now

Xuhaib

International Coach
Fair enough, but in anycase they did well as a attack together on most occasions and those records include some absolutely flat wickets like in UAE and Chennai once.

Completely disagree here. Both series are inequitable for me due to the difference in pitches which was massive(and was the reason for the big scores either side). And in anycase Pakistan batsman were brimming with confidence before this series? Which ones?

Also Subcontinent is not limited to these 2 series which seem to be the basis for everything for you. Around the same time SA bowlers were relatively struggling on the flat wickets of UAE, the English ones weren't all that flash in Bangladesh IIRC. Steyn alone is a big standout in terms of all visiting bowlers to the subcontinent in recent times and makes a massive difference.

Pakistan entire top 6 was averaging 50+ for the past 15 months with Misbah & Younis averaging near 80 so I don't know why you say they were not brimming with confidence. Steyn alone might be a massive difference but maybe you missed the well rounded part in my argument. No way can a SA attack be considered better then Eng in Asia when don't have a spinner capablle of averaging under 40 in these conditions.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Was there really that much difference in terms of the assistance given to seam bowlers?
In the first test first innings of either side, there was real assistance for seam bowlers/any bowlers in that series(and both sets did well). After that there was verry little assistance whatsoever for any bowler and second test was particularly flat. All comments after that series slammed the pitches too.

Certainly more assistance for both seamers and spinners in this series. Not like either can operate in isolation in anycase.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I was laughing at Xuhaib quoting you from some place earlier which seems to be going against what you said now
I didn't say those things. :p

Xuhaib fit his thoughts in between my quoted post there, instead of properly quoting it.

Spark

Global Moderator
In the first test first innings of either side, there was real assistance for seam bowlers/any bowlers in that series(and both sets did well). After that there was verry little assistance whatsoever for any bowler and second test was particularly flat. All comments after that series slammed the pitches too.

Certainly more assistance for both seamers and spinners in this series. Not like either can operate in isolation in anycase.
Very true, but aside from a tiny bit of seam movement I saw very little for the seamers. Broad and Anderson just bowled exceptionally well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought the pitches were fairly flat. England were made to work damned hard for their wickets. England's batting woes were largely down to atrocious batting, which was compounded by Pakistan's spinners bowling extremely well. I wouldn't say the bowlers on either side were greatly assisted by the pitches throughout the series. Bad batting/good bowling can make a pitch look trickier than it is, good batting/bad bowling will make a pitch look pretty flat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The pitch for the second test was genuinely tough to bat on, with big, unpredictable turn and bounce from the start. The others were about as flat as they come and to me it just looked like the scores were kept down because England batted hilariously and bowled exceptionally.

Jacknife

International Captain
Umm, you realise you're just agreeing with me right. I was being sarcastic about SL's batting being no good.

Thought that was clear.
:laugh:
Steyn is world class in any conditions but Morkel has really struggled in his sub cont tours and both Philander and Tahir have not played outside own pitches to make any judgement about them. SA on Asian pitches is very much a one man army.
awta
England's attack went up in my view after the Pakistan series.

Which actually goes to show just how pathetic their batting ws.
Very true.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Lets see now...ranking the test bowling attacks? 1. England (most strength across bowling styles and playing conditions) 2. South Africa 3. Pakistan just a nose ahead of 4. Australia on account of their spin bowling options 5. Sri Lanka tied with New Zealand on account that they get more out of the base talent levels they have than... 7. India 8. West Indies 9. Zimbabwe 10. Bangladesh. But I wont stop their. I'll rank Intercontinental Cup bowling attacks based on what I've seen this round. 1. Ireland 2. Holland (when Ten Doeschate is around) 3. Kenya 4. Namibia 5. Afghanistan 6. Scotland 7. U.A.E . Though most are really bunched up as I reckon the gap between Kenya and Holland is bigger than tat between Kenya and U.A.E.