• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you rank the bowling attacks in world cricket as of today ?

Ruckus

International Captain
All of those bowlers are actually getting increasingly similar and I don't really think it's a bad thing because what they're all doing works, but Harris and Hilfenhaus are predominantly full outswing new ball bowlers. Both Siddle and Pattinson have recently taken to bowling fuller and getting more outswing themselves but they're more natural in going back to slightly shorter stuff, hitting the splice etc.
I've always seen Harris and Siddle as predominantely seam bowlers who can occasionally get some swing. Hilf is the only genuine swing bowler amongst that group I reckon. Pattinson seems to be a bit bipolar at this stage and can get the ball the hoop around in the right bowling conditions and with a very new ball, but seems to be pretty similar to someone like Siddle when the conditions are less favourable and the ball is older.

As you said though, the pitch it up mantra is blurring the distinction between the bowlers to some extent.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
The way I look at it, England, South Africa and Australia are in front with West Indies in fourth. After that, Pakistan, India and New Zealand are all about equal when you look at who is actually likely to play. Zaheer's injury record really hurts India here, and all three sides put out servicable attacks with unestablished members. Praveen, Dougeh and Junaid have all started well but have few tests. Gul, Vettori and Martin are solid but unspectacular and then there are guys like Ishant and Southee who have been around a while without doing anything. The only real established weapons in these three are Zaheer and Ajmal.

Sri Lanka are slightly behind thanks to the hilarious ineptness of Dilhara and friends, which is made up for by Herath (and Wele on occassion).

Zimbabwe clearly ahead of Bangas because they have a pace attack.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think variety is somewhat overrated in Test cricket tbh. Yes, it's useful and handy but if you're facing full pitched 145kmh outswingers on off stump, the last thing you want is the change bowler to also bowl full pitched 145kmh outswingers on off stump.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've always seen Harris and Siddle as predominantely seam bowlers who can occasionally get some swing. Hilf is the only genuine swing bowler amongst that group I reckon. Pattinson seems to be a bit bipolar at this stage and can get the ball the hoop around in the right bowling conditions and with a very new ball, but seems to be pretty similar to someone like Siddle when the conditions are less favourable and the ball is older.

As you said though, the pitch it up mantra is blurring the distinction between the bowlers to some extent.
DWTA wrt Pattinson. Have consistently seen him bowl better with the older ball or the semi-old ball than the newer ball in this series.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think the West Indies attack is being under-rated a tad.

Pakistan's is also being massively over-rated.

Mike5181

International Captain
Would say that NZ are better than WI until Taylor proves himself fit again.
The guy seems to be permanently injured which is a shame. I'm looking forward to our attack with the inclusion of Wagner when he's eligible. He can actually hold a bat so five bowlers fit much better. Boult/Southee/Wagner/Bracewell/Vettori sounds good to me.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
West Indies getting overrated all over a sudden.

Roach has regressed, Sammy is a constant part of the attack and their spinners tend to disappoint. Rampaul and Edwards are promising but fitness is always an issue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Roach has regressed, Sammy is a constant part of the attack and their spinners tend to disappoint. Rampaul and Edwards are promising but fitness is always an issue.
Sammy has actually been gun though, and Roach is irrelevant unless someone gets injured.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm pretty wary of rating our current attack or our depth until at least the end of the summer.
The recent series vs Australia aside (of which I missed the lulz because you guys play cricket at a stupid time of day), I can't remember the last time I saw New Zealand play a Test, so I have no idea how to rate them, other than I'm certain they're better than Bangladesh and they simply have to be better than Sri Lanka.

I'd go

England

South Africa
Australia

West Indies
Pakistan
India
New Zealand*

Sri Lanka
Bangladesh

smash84

The Tiger King

This