• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's bowlers for the West Indies and England tours

If India are looking at pace bowling options ahead of their forthcoming tours given Zaheer's dodgy fitness and Ishant's dodgy fitness, reckon they should should look at these six guys ONLY.
Don't think there's anyone else in the Ranji trophy who I think is worth considering.
Not all of these guys may cut it at the highest level but I think they're the best India have.

I know Praveen Kumar has his fans on this forum but I honestly don't think he will trouble international batsmen at test level unless the ball is swinging like bananas.
He struggles to get Ranji batsmen out when he doesn't get conditions exactly in his favour.

Pankaj SIngh - probably first cab of the rank. Excellent Ranji season so far and has height (believe he is 6 foot five which would make him the 2nd tallest Indian to ever play tests), so he'd bring similar attributes to Ishant to the table.
I don't know how quick he is - if he can consistenly bowl above 130 kph, I'd pick him for the Caribbean - tall, hit the deck bowlers are always handy there.
When I saw him in IPL1, I wasn't that impressed - he maxed out at 127/128 kph but he may have improved.

Sudeep Tyagi - Always thought Tyagi was a prospect worth looking at by India.
Tall lad (around 6 foot three) and he's probably one of the quickest India have.
Again, I would see him, like Pankaj as a direct replacement for Ishant.

Munaf Patel - Munaf certainly has the skill to trouble international batsmen. The big questions though are 1) Is his fitness up to scratch ?
2) Can he maintain a decent enough speed ?
If so, I'd have him in the team in a flash because I think he is easily India's most accurate pace bowler (Zaheer included).

RP SIngh (England only) - wouldn't pick RP for the Caribbean but I would for England. Thought he bowled pretty well in 2007 ( got 12 wicket at 30 I believe and was a good foil for Zaheer) and has some County experience. If Zak was to get injured, I think he'd definitely be a better replacement that someone totally raw like Unadkat.

AN Ahmed - Probably the bolter in this lot. Abu Nechim reminds me a lot of a young AA circa 1998 (can swing the both ways at decent speed but with better accuracy IMO).
He's a skiddy type of bowler who I think is worth looking at for the Caribbean.

Abhimanyu Mithun - always thought the Indian selectors treated him unfairly after the Sri Lanka series. Wasn't brilliant there but the pitches were flat as and he was on debut.
Still think he's a better option than Yadav or Unadkat.

For spin, obvious Bhajji is still India's best bet at this stage.
As for the second spinner, has to be Ojha - neither Chawla nor Mishra have done enough to displace him and with India likely to play 3 pacemen + 1 spinner on these tours, don't think it makes a lot of sense to pick wristies who are inaccurate when the pace attack is not that accurate in the first place !

Thoughts - Indian fans ?

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
I would like to see Ishant get dropped. May be that will force a reaction out of him.

Also it should be two quicks + two spinners in W.I and 3 + 1 in England.

I agree on Mithun getting a rough deal. How has he been performing in the domestic season after the drop? That will say a lot about his character.

For me it has to RP Singh or Mithun replacing Ishant. Both can be in the squad. Zaheer and Sreesanth should hold on to their place.

I'm just hoping Sehwag is able to resume bowling soon, but i doubt it, with the world cup coming etc...we can't get by with just 4 bowlers in W.I. May be if Sachin retires from ODIs after wc, he can take up his test bowling a bit more seriously? I think, he s very much under used as a bowler. He should have had a lot more than 50 test wickets.

shankar

International Debutant
We should definitely take Munaf patel. Missed a trick by not picking him for S.Africa. He's not dependable as a long-term mainstay of the attack. But should always be in the team as a replacement in case of injury or bad form to one of the main bowlers.

Blaze 18

Banned
1) Zaheer Khan
2) Ishant Sharma
3) Shantakumaran Sreesanth
4) Munaf Patel
5) Praveen Kumar
6) Rudra Pratap Singh
7) Irfan Pathan
8) Lakshmipathy Balaji
9) Abhimanyu Mithun
10)Abu Nechim Ahmed
The ten best pacers we have at this point in time, in my opinion.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'll be interesting, because Ishant's been pretty useless and Sree only pops up occasionally for India. Zaheer's not really that fit either. Yadav and Undakat aren't the answer.

Who's been good in Ranji Trophy, ooc?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's time for India to have a proper look at some of these bowlers with stupidly good First Class records over long sample sizes, regardless of whether they apparently bowl too slowly or not. Zaheer Khan looked more dangerous than Ishant and Sreesanth while operating at about 115km/hr for a spell in the third Test in South Africa. While I'm not saying that India have another five Zaheers playing Ranji cricket, I think it's more likely that one of these awesome First Class bowlers will be able to do something at Test level than it is for someone who barely manages to stand out in a 27 team domestic system to do so merely by bowling at the 'express' pace of 135 or so.

I think the key is finding one of these bowlers with awesome records who can reverse the ball. I think everyone agrees that the likes of Praveen, Vinay Kumar, Joginder etc could be useful with the swinging new ball - the concern lies over what happens after that. Zaheer operates at a meagre pace these days but reverses it around corners so it's, in a way, like he's always operating in new ball conditions. Do any of the domestic bowling giants do that?

Xuhaib

International Coach
always rated RP for some reason he's completley off the radar also liked what I saw of Pankhaj Singh.

vcs

I think it's time for India to have a proper look at some of these bowlers with stupidly good First Class records over long sample sizes, regardless of whether they apparently bowl too slowly or not. Zaheer Khan looked more dangerous than Ishant and Sreesanth while operating at about 115km/hr for a spell in the third Test in South Africa. While I'm not saying that India have another five Zaheers playing Ranji cricket, I think it's more likely that one of these awesome First Class bowlers will be able to do something at Test level than it is for someone who barely manages to stand out in a 27 team domestic system to do so merely by bowling at the 'express' pace of 135 or so.

I think the key is finding one of these bowlers with awesome records who can reverse the ball. I think everyone agrees that the likes of Praveen, Vinay Kumar, Joginder etc could be useful with the swinging new ball - the concern lies over what happens after that. Zaheer operates at a meagre pace these days but reverses it around corners so it's, in a way, like he's always operating in new ball conditions. Do any of the domestic bowling giants do that?
You should be an Indian selector. :wub:

chicane

State Captain
I have never understood the reasoning behind our fast bowler selection. Ignoring the likes of Ranadeb Bose, Gagandeep Singh, Joginder, Vinay Kumar, Praveen, even Pankaj Singh off late, while picking Irfan, Nehra, Munaf, VRV, Sree, Ishant, Mithun, Umesh Yadav Umadkat? Some of them have been decent, and some selections have been made on the back of stellar domestic performances (Balaji) but Umadkat? Domestic performance seems to count for little, and perceived fast bowler attributes for more.

Blaze 18

Banned
I have never understood the reasoning behind our fast bowler selection. Ignoring the likes of Ranadeb Bose, Gagandeep Singh, Joginder, Vinay Kumar, Praveen, even Pankaj Singh off late, while picking Irfan, Nehra, Munaf, VRV, Sree, Ishant, Mithun, Umesh Yadav Umadkat? Some of them have been decent, and some selections have been made on the back of stellar domestic performances (Balaji) but Umadkat? Domestic performance seems to count for little, and perceived fast bowler attributes for more.
:lol:

shivfan

Banned
India may want to think about the possibility of playing two spinners on one of the Caribbean grounds....

flibbertyjibber

I hope Munaf Patel is left out. I like him and think he could do us some damage if picked so please leave him behind this summer.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope Munaf Patel is left out. I like him and think he could do us some damage if picked so please leave him behind this summer.
In Tests, he remains a very potentially dangerous bowler. In ODIs, he seems to be hellbent on bowling pathetically slowly and occasionally bowling slower than that.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Praveen Kumar really has to go to England.

He is a swing bowler and the kind who do well in English conditions.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Drop Ishant and bring in Praveen and i have no idea how RP singh's bowling form is lately. But the bloke did really well in England last time. Praveen might do well in England because he is a swing bowler. However i am not sure how he will fare in the west indies. Bring in Munaf for the west indies tour and see how he goes.

Zaheer, Sree, Munaf, Praveen looks the ideal pace squad for me on both tours.

morgieb

How has RP gone recently?

He bowled good last time he went to England and looked at least serviceable for a while. What happened?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Drop Ishant and bring in Praveen and i have no idea how RP singh's bowling form is lately. But the bloke did really well in England last time. Praveen might do well in England because he is a swing bowler. However i am not sure how he will fare in the west indies. Bring in Munaf for the west indies tour and see how he goes.

Zaheer, Sree, Munaf, Praveen looks the ideal pace squad for me on both tours.
Don't think we can afford to take both Zaheer and Munaf unless we take a few extra bowlers.

It is extremely likely that both of them together won't last all of the tests.

We could perhaps pick the likes of mithun ,pankaj singh,Umesh Yadav for the west indies too as they are likely to do better there than the likes of sree and maybe even praveen.

But for England Zaheer,Sree and Praveen need to be certainties plus 2 more faster bowlers.