• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wastemen etc

Who the better batsman

• Ajay Jadeja

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Mahmudullah

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

cricmad

Cricket Spectator
Like the little girl with a curl right in the middle of her forehead, when he was good he was very, very good but when he was bad he was horrid.

With hindsight it seems madness he wasn't even in the squad for the 2013 Ashes, but at the time I can't recall too many demurring voices.
The best explanation about the enigma of Mitchell "Jekyll and Hyde" Johnson

Midwinter

State Captain
Until his purple patch he had a regular pattern of I good test followed by 3 or 4 poor tests, which the selectors finally realised.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It totally detracts from the ball as well, it makes it look like Cook has made an absolute arse of the shot as opposed to it being a great ball from Johnson.
What? Go now and watch it. The ball nipped away a tiny bit on pitching, like a matter of centimeteres. Cook missed it by a foot. Even if the ball didn't move off the deck at all, or even moved in a bit toward the bat Cook still would have missed it.

It was a solid ball, but Cook absolutely did make an arse of the shot

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
There was no explicit reason for picking Wade. Just vague statements about his chatter and batting. The latter being composed of 2 tons for Australia 3 years ago and not enough since then in the Shield. So how can there be a criteria for his dropping if his selection was so ******? I have the bad feeling he is a lock until he has a Mark Waugh in SL series with the bat or the selectors are replaced.

TheJediBrah

Meh Wade is just as good a selection as anyone else tbh

It's disappointing but with Nevill having turned out to be such a **** Test bat compared to expectations what are you going do

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think the role of Ryan Harris in all that was important too. He was bowling beautifully himself and if I am not wrong, Siddle was the 3rd seamer? The fact that the other bowlers played their roles to perfection also helped Mitch in that series. Not detracting from his bowling levels, but just shows how good the team work needs to be even if 1 of your bowlers is in God like form if you want to dominate and win matches and series. Compare it to Warne in the 2005 Ashes, where inspite of how well he was bowling, the fact that the runs could come from the other end made it so much harder for him to help bowl England out for low totals even though he himself was in God mode then, as a bowler.

OverratedSanity

Apologies if I misunderstand, but that ball you describe was Steyn's stock delivery for more than a decade. I bet he easily got a 100 of his wickets with one that moves in through the air, pitches around offstump and then seams away to get the bowled, lbw or caught behind.
Nah, Steyn doesn't have the conventional inswinger. He barely ever bowls it and when he does, he doesn't land it right. His stock ball is the traditional outswinger, not the delivery you described.

TheJediBrah

Nah, Steyn doesn't have the conventional inswinger. He barely ever bowls it and when he does, he doesn't land it right. His stock ball is the traditional outswinger, not the delivery you described.
I think he's confusing angle in (that every single over-the-wicket bowler in the history of the game gets) with in-swing.

Every bowler bowling right-arm over the wicket to Right hand bat outswinger will angle in first. I think that's what he must mean.

cnerd123

likes this
Because when selecting a team you want to win games of cricket, and hence you pick the team that will be most likely to win. Hence you pick the best players.

It's complex, I know
That's contradictory

What if your best players are all spin bowlers who bat at 11

You can't win a cricket game with that team

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Because when selecting a team you want to win games of cricket, and hence you pick the team that will be most likely to win. Hence you pick the best players.

It's complex, I know
Don't be a condescending flog. Even if it makes you feel cool.

Clearly it's not complex to
pick the team that will be most likely to win

But I asked you how you figure that
Wade is just as good a selection as anyone else

TheJediBrah

Don't be a condescending flog. Even if it makes you feel cool.

Clearly it's not complex to

But I asked you how you figure that
I was being condescending because it was a really stupid ****ing question

whether or not you agree doesn't matter but either way it's obvious as to why someone would say its a good selection, ie. He will perform as well or better than anyone else

weird huh?

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

tbf you don't really need batsmen in the subcontinent

just eat plenty of the local cuisine and all your players will get the runs