• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India - South Africa Test ratings

Howe_zat

Audio File
Great post. The only question for me is that I would be harsher on Dhoni, whose captaincy I thought was pretty dire.

gvenkat

State Captain
Great post. The only question for me is that I would be harsher on Dhoni, whose captaincy I thought was pretty dire.
Agreed and I have mentioned it in the piece that he needs to be more assertive. I gave him some brownie points, for he has done something no other team other than Australia and England have done in South Africa , that is to draw a series that too after being one down. :)

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Points out of ten for the Indians

1) Gautham Gambhir - seven
2) Virender Sehwag - two
3) Rahul Dravid - two
4) Sachin Tendulkar - eight
5) VVS Laxman - seven
6) Chetesthwar Pujara - four
7) MS Dhoni - five
8) Harbhajan Singh - six
9) Zaheer Khan - eight
10)Ishant Sharma - one
11)Sreesanth - four

Blaze 18

Banned
Points out of ten for the South Africans

1) Graeme Smith - three
2) Alviro Peterson - three
3) Hashim Amla - seven
4) Jacques Kallis - ten
5) AB de Villiers - six
6) Ashwell Prince - five
7) Mark Boucher - five
8) Lonwabo Tsotsotbe - six
9) Paul Harris - four
10)Morne Morkel - seven
11)Dale Steyn - ten

gvenkat

State Captain
I am quite sure that Pakistan drew a series in South Africa in the late 1990s.
Hmm.. Now you say that I remember it. It was the 1998 Series.. :). Azhar mahmood scored some big hundreds.. However Pakistan was leading the series and lost the final game

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with the Indian ratings except for Zaheer,Dhoni and Ishant.

All deserve less for me.

Zaheer had one very good test in the 2nd match,but was ordinary in the third. So does not deserve a 8 for me just for one test. Would have him on par with whatever Harbhajan gets ,if not lower.

Dhoni's captaincy in the last test was dire and though he did better than expected from the bat,7 is too high for him.

And no way does Ishant deserve a 5 . Except for the 1st innings of the last test ,where he was unlucky was ordinary throughout.
Deserves to be on par with Raina,Vijay for me.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure what more Kallis could have done to get a 10.

Raina getting 2 with Unadkat getting 0? Raina deserved 0 if Unadkat did.

Also, you might want to edit to get Paul Harris a capital "H" :) - oh, and under Tsotsobe's analysis, you've misspelt Sehwag.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what more Kallis could have done to get a 10.

Raina getting 2 with Unadkat getting 0? Raina deserved 0 if Unadkat did.

Also, you might want to edit to get Paul Harris a capital "H" :)
I think similar to sachin,perhaps score more in the second test.

And don't think he gave Unadkat 0 .Just said that he was to young to play and not ready and would too harsh to rate him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with the Indian ratings except for Zaheer,Dhoni and Ishant.

All deserve less for me.

Zaheer had one very good test in the 2nd match,but was ordinary in the third. So does not deserve a 8 for me just for one test. Would have him on par with whatever Harbhajan gets ,if not lower.

Dhoni's captaincy in the last test was dire and though he did better than expected from the bat,7 is too high for him.

And no way does Ishant deserve a 5 . Except for the 1st innings of the last test ,where he was unlucky was ordinary throughout.
Deserves to be on par with Raina,Vijay for me.
Agree that Harbhajan bowled as well as Zaheer, if not better.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Points out of ten for the Indians

1) Gautham Gambhir - seven
2) Virender Sehwag - two
3) Rahul Dravid - two
4) Sachin Tendulkar - eight
5) VVS Laxman - seven
6) Chetesthwar Pujara - four
7) MS Dhoni - five
8) Harbhajan Singh - six
9) Zaheer Khan - eight
10)Ishant Sharma - one
11)Sreesanth - four
This Rahul Dravid witch hunt is becoming a bit tedious, as far as i'm concerned. For example Laxman gets a 7 for one match winning inning and the rest of the tour has been worse than Dravid's for him. Yet Dravid gets only a two. I don't begrudge Laxman his time in the limelight for his match winning knock at all, i'm merely questioning why Dravid is being treated like he has been ****e in this tour when he hasn't been that bad? Sehwag was ****e in this tour, as were Raina, Ishant and Unadkat but not Dravid. He had an average tour and did something important for the team.

Dravid has faced 354 balls in this series. He has played out at least 10 overs in each inning on average when Steyn and Morkel have been ferocious with the new ball.

In comparison Sehwag has played 205 balls in 6 innings in spite of scoring a 50 on the flat centurion second innings wicket. Laxman has faced about 390 balls.

So in the end he has covered for Sehwag's remit....which is to see out the new ball first and foremost. He has done well enough to set the rest of the batsmen to achieve a defensible target.

I'm sure the guys in Indian team management will rate Dravid's contribution a lot more than random fans on this forum who wouldn't be out of place in some kind of kneejerk lynching mob. It's odd that a lot of people on this forum seem to think they can do a better job than BCCI selectors, and Kirsten/Dhoni etc. Indian team is ranked number 1 FFS. I'd be quite a bit surprised if i see him dropped, regardless of what this forum seems to think.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
It isn't a knee-jerk reaction at all, Rahul Dravid has been poor for quite sometime now. It wasn't an 'average' series for him - it was a very poor series.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
It isn't a knee-jerk reaction at all, Rahul Dravid has been poor for quite sometime now. It wasn't an 'average' series for him - it was a very poor series.
I just gave you solid reasons for why i thought it was not a poor series for him. If you continue to insist he had a "very poor" series because you can...then i'll leave you to it. Carry on...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman didn't play one good innings kj, he played two. His 38 in the first dig of Durban was very important.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Laxman didn't play one good innings kj, he played two. His 38 in the first dig of Durban was very important.
Indeed, i was not trying to play down Laxman's effort at all. I was merely pointing out the job Dravid did by playing all those balls at number 3. In a series were Steyn and Morkel were very effective with the new ball, and the supporting cast was not at all threatening, i would say that he played a role in the middle order having a good series in general. Tendulkar, Laxman, Dhoni et all performed well in this series, but they did have an unselfish helping hand from Dravid....judging from some of the comments here, it seems like Dravid was AWOL.

His run-out and the dismissal against Tsotsobe in the second dig at Durban are the only two poor innings from him in this series. Otherwise he was alright. He didn't set the world alight, but he did a job.

Last edited: