• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Greatest Cricketer amongst this lot

A poll to behold

• Total voters

L Trumper

State Regular
Back to the topic

Imran, Hadlee, Sachin, Warne, VIV seems to fit both bills; Others as good as they are/were & bloody good they are/were but still seems meh...:ph34r:

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah well tbh if everyone is just voting according to their own subjective interpretations of what 'great' means it will just end being a completely meaningless poll. A poll isn't going to show anything if people are voting for completely different things.
All CW polls are meaningless. :p

People always have different methods of rating things.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah well tbh if everyone is just voting according to their own subjective interpretations of what 'great' means it will just end being a completely meaningless poll. A poll isn't going to show anything if people are voting for completely different things.
Well then in my subjective opinion the profound impact a cricketer has on his people and how he defines his art etc. are **** criteria while judging cricketers because a cricketer's job is to score runs and take wickets not to fit people's romantic perceptions of what a great cricketer is supposed to be like.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Well then in my subjective opinion the profound impact a cricketer has on his people and how he defines his art etc. are **** criteria while judging cricketers because the cricketer's job is to score runs and take wickets not to fit people's romantic perceptions of what a great cricketer is supposed to be like.
Yeah cool, I don't know why you are replying to me though, I never said any of that.

L Trumper

State Regular
Well then in my subjective opinion the profound impact a cricketer has on his people and how he defines his art etc. are **** criteria while judging cricketers because the cricketer's job is to score runs and take wickets not to fit people's romantic perceptions of what a great cricketer is supposed to be like.
Of course without those they are not great. But Sachin is not simply measured by his centuries, he is much much more than just a batsman/cricketer. Its apply to every great person no matter what their field of excellence is.

Blaze 18

Banned
1) Imran Khan
2) Brian Lara
3) Glenn McGrath
4) Richard Hadlee
5) Viv Richards
6) Ian Botham
7) Sachin Tendulkar
8) Shane Warne
9) Muttiah Muralitharan
10)Adam Gilchrist

That is how I would rank them. Of course, they are all quite close, so my rankings may change depending on what day of the week it is.

smash84

The Tiger King
1) Imran Khan
2) Brian Lara
3) Glenn McGrath
4) Richard Hadlee
5) Viv Richards
6) Ian Botham
7) Sachin Tendulkar
8) Shane Warne
9) Muttiah Muralitharan
10)Adam Gilchrist

That is how I would rank them. Of course, they are all quite close, so my rankings may change depending on what day of the week it is.
You seem to rate Lara very very highly

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
As there was criteria given for voting I voted for Botham who's the most naturally gifted all around cricketer from the list.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The era McGrath played in didn't make that much of a difference though. It was definitely enough for me to say McGrath was in fact a better bowler than Hadlee, but only by a small margin. They were in fact 13th and 14th in my standardised bowling averages thread, which took the standards of run-scoring into account (it was basically its only purpose :p).
Hadlee's average minus the minnows of his time should probably be considered. Great bowler, but I think McGrath was a bit more cheaper than your stats suggest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hadlee's average minus the minnows of his time should probably be considered. Great bowler, but I think McGrath was a bit more cheaper than your stats suggest.
Those stats actually take the quality of each team into account though. There are definitely factors standardised averages don't take into account (longevity, top order v lower order wickets, support, strike rate, context of performances, difficulty of bowling in your home country compared to others at the time etc etc) so they aren't in any way a perfect measure, but minnow-bashing and era differences are taken care of, largely. I'm in no way saying they're the be all and end all, but I personally trust them to account for two factors scorebook averages dont : era run-scoring standards and relative quality of opposition. Given they're the first two things people have come up with to point out McGrath's supposed superiority over Hadlee, I'm inclined to think both are exaggerated in this particular case. I think McGrath was the better bowler but I do not think there is much in it at all; two extremely similar bowlers career-wise.