Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: A poll to behold

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • SK Warne

    8 12.90%
  • Glenn McGrath

    8 12.90%
  • Ian Botham

    1 1.61%
  • RIchard Hadlee

    3 4.84%
  • Adam Gilchrist

    0 0%
  • Ricky Ponting

    0 0%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

    11 17.74%
  • Imran Khan

    14 22.58%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

    1 1.61%
  • Sir IVA Richards

    6 9.68%
  • BC Lara

    2 3.23%
  • Jacques Kallis

    8 12.90%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 146

Thread: Poll: Greatest Cricketer amongst this lot

  1. #46
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,351
    What's with McGrath getting so many votes? He wasn't in 4 highest vote getters in the greatest post 90's poll. Surprised he is leading (along with Imran) here.

  2. #47
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,024
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Agree with everything you say. And I am inclined to downgrade the guy with jaws like Greek Gods.

    Talking about Hadlee, as week as New Zealand was, it was the only team during the 80's to win at least one series against every opposition. They won 9 series in all (2 each against Eng, Aus and SL. 1 each against Ind, Pak, WI). In all but one series (one against Ind), he was the leading wicket-taker...on either side. Talk about being a match winner! Show me another cricketer that lifted an average side to such levels so single handedly.

    EDIT: Yet, I don't see why you rate Imran so low in your pecking order
    Who is the guy with jaws like Greek gods????

  3. #48
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,024
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    What's with McGrath getting so many votes? He wasn't in 4 highest vote getters in the greatest post 90's poll. Surprised he is leading (along with Imran) here.
    Even I am a bit surprised at this. McGrath is behind Warne, Murali, Sachin, and Kallis in the 90s thread IIRC. Over here he is in first place. I had personally thought that Warne or Viv Richards would get a lot of votes.

  4. #49
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Imran for me because all-rounders are the most valuable cricketers and Imran is the second most valuable cricketer to play the game post 1900 after Bradman, IMHO.

    If I had a second, third and fourth vote, They'd go to Kallis, Hadlee and Gilchrist.
    And where in your list would Sobers appear???? Arguably the finest all rounder ever.


  5. #50
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    And where in your list would Sobers appear???? Arguably the finest all rounder ever.
    Third.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams



    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

    It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

  6. #51
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Third.
    because you find bowling all rounders to be more valuable????

  7. #52
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    because you find bowling all rounders to be more valuable????
    Well as a general rule, Yes.

    My top seven of the Bradman and Post-Bradman era would be something like:-

    1.Bradman
    2.Imran
    3.Sobers
    4.Miller
    5.Hadlee
    6.Kallis
    7.Pollock

  8. #53
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    I found it hard to split Imran and Hadlee, but in the end I went for Imran because he has a much greater chance of winning. That's FPTP voting for you.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  9. #54
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I think I do post like a 17 year old tbh.
    Sometimes, but not always. Rarely do posters fit in so well at 17 and have such well-researched and defined ideologies. You have the potential to be an all-time great statistical analysis poster. The great allrounders of CricketWeb who can both analyse the technical aspects of the game live and compare retired cricketers statistically will always be more valuable than a specialist such as yourself, however.

  10. #55
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    I found it hard to split Imran and Hadlee, but in the end I went for Imran because he has a much greater chance of winning. That's FPTP voting for you.
    what's FPTP???? And what did you find difficult to split between Imran and Hadlee? Is there as much of a difference between the bowling of the two as is there in their batting????

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sometimes, but not always. Rarely do posters fit in so well at 17 and have such well-researched and defined ideologies. You have the potential to be an all-time great statistical analysis poster. The great allrounders of CricketWeb who can both analyse the technical aspects of the game live and compare retired cricketers statistically will always be more valuable than a specialist such as yourself, however.


    good one

  11. #56
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,040
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    what's FPTP???? And what did you find difficult to split between Imran and Hadlee? Is there as much of a difference between the bowling of the two as is there in their batting????
    I think Hadlee was a better bowler than Imran. Imran was the better batsman by a greater margin, but they were both primarily bowlers, so batting counts for a bit less. I voted for Imran anyway; I genuinely do think he was the better cricketer.. I was just being a bit of a turd with my post.

    Oh and FPTP: First-past-the-post - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  12. #57
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sometimes, but not always. Rarely do posters fit in so well at 17 and have such well-researched and defined ideologies. You have the potential to be an all-time great statistical analysis poster. The great allrounders of CricketWeb who can both analyse the technical aspects of the game live and compare retired cricketers statistically will always be more valuable than a specialist such as yourself, however.


    Are you seriously stating that the great all-rounders are better posters than the great debate winners? The position of all-rounders is going from underrated to overrated very soon itbt. The only thing that should matter is who has won more debates for their ego.

    Thanks for the bolded part btw.
    Last edited by Teja.; 07-01-2011 at 01:51 PM.

  13. #58
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,258
    My order would probably be Imran, Hadlee, Murali, Kallis, Pollock for the last 30 years. All-rounders always seem to be underrated unless they are absolutely superlative in one area like Sobers and Imran. Pollock in particular has suffered because of this and Kallis too until recently.

    Murali is the exception because his achievement of taking 7 wickets per test at 21 over 9 years is so extraordinary he deserves to be in the mix.

  14. #59
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    z
    Posts
    6,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    My order would probably be Imran, Hadlee, Murali, Kallis, Pollock for the last 30 years. All-rounders always seem to be underrated unless they are absolutely superlative in one area like Sobers and Imran. Pollock in particular has suffered because of this and Kallis too until recently.

    Murali is the exception because his achievement of taking 7 wickets per test at 21 over 9 years is so extraordinary he deserves to be in the mix.
    Yeah, I rate Murali a small but non-negligible margin higher than the other ATG bowlers and only slightly behind the all-rounders.

  15. #60
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,791
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Played for an average team and with a junk bowling lineup...had superlative performances in all corners of the world, against all opponents...took many wickets, gave away the least runs without ANY support from the other end...never shied away from bowling too many overs in unhelpful conditions...always gave his best for the team, be it in a test match against the best opponent, or an ODI with the lightest....had McGrath's line-and-length coupled with more pace, slightly better outswinger and much better inswinger...almost always troubled the best of batsmen he bowled to...added value as a hard-working batsman in an average batting lineup...didn't sleep with Liz Hurley or 'have jaws like Greek Gods' though...but I'm not a Hollywood director searching for the protagonist for my next project either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Probably biased, but Imran for me. When you talk about cricketers as a whole, great ARís weigh heavily in my book. Thatís why I also consider Sobers to be the greatest cricketer ever. Imran was all-time great bowler (his injury free peak is mind boggling) and a more than handy bat. He performed like a champ against arguably the greatest team in cricket history (at worst, the WI side of the Ď80ís belongs in the top 3 discussion). He also excelled facing his countryís arch rivals India, and I donít need to emphasize the incredible pressure of a Pak/India series. Add to all that his great Captaincy skills, and I think he edges out the other greats listed on the poll.
    These are both fantastic posts.

    I voted for Shane Warne, as I always do when a question contains the word "great". I'd say Imran's the most valuable though. Personally I only have Bradman and Grace ahead of Imran.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sehwag - Wisden's leading cricketer of the year 2009
    By honestbharani in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 16-04-2010, 06:47 PM
  2. Draft Poll
    By 99* in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-09-2009, 02:36 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19-09-2007, 08:51 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •