• Sir IVA Richards

6 9.68%
  • BC Lara

2 3.23%
  • Jacques Kallis

8 12.90%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Greatest Cricketer amongst this lot

Probably biased, but Imran for me. When you talk about cricketers as a whole, great ARís weigh heavily in my book. Thatís why I also consider Sobers to be the greatest cricketer ever. Imran was all-time great bowler (his injury free peak is mind boggling) and a more than handy bat. He performed like a champ against arguably the greatest team in cricket history (at worst, the WI side of the Ď80ís belongs in the top 3 discussion). He also excelled facing his countryís arch rivals India, and I donít need to emphasize the incredible pressure of a Pak/India series. Add to all that his great Captaincy skills, and I think he edges out the other greats listed on the poll.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Probably biased, but Imran for me. When you talk about cricketers as a whole, great ARís weigh heavily in my book. Thatís why I also consider Sobers to be the greatest cricketer ever. Imran was all-time great bowler (his injury free peak is mind boggling) and a more than handy bat. He performed like a champ against arguably the greatest team in cricket history (at worst, the WI side of the Ď80ís belongs in the top 3 discussion). He also excelled facing his countryís arch rivals India, and I donít need to emphasize the incredible pressure of a Pak/India series. Add to all that his great Captaincy skills, and I think he edges out the other greats listed on the poll.
    True all of this. The only thing that he lagged behind in was fielding. He was one of the worst fielders in a pretty ordinary Pakistan fielding side.

Simon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    It is not that simple. Bowlers are very valuable commodities hence some might rate Murali > Kallis.
    But at the same time bowlers play for a shorter duration than Batsmen.

Simon Champion!
    Torn between Imran and Sachin ,really can't pick one .

Will probably vote for the one with the lesser votes tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    But at the same time bowlers play for a shorter duration than Batsmen.
    but good bowlers are very hard to come by. Good batsman are more readily available for some reason. Maybe batting is an easier art?????

vcs
    but good bowlers are very hard to come by. Good batsman are more readily available for some reason. Maybe batting is an easier art?????
    Think you are basing your judgment too much on the last decade. These things are cyclical.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    Think you are basing your judgment too much on the last decade. These things are cyclical.
    Yep, Very.

Even if you go one decade back to the 90s, You had four batsman who averaged in the 50s:-Gooch, Lara, Tendulkar, Waugh. Gooch played only the initial four years. So It's basically three batsman through the decade

The exceptional bowlers of that period were:- Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Donald, Waqar, McGrath and Pollock.

3 vs 8. You decide.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yep, Very.

Even if you go one decade back to the 90s, You had four batsman who averaged in the 50s:-Gooch, Lara, Tendulkar, Waugh. Gooch played only the initial four years. So It's basically three batsman through the decade

The exceptional bowlers of that period were:- Warne, Ambrose, Walsh, Akram, Donald, Waqar, McGrath and Pollock.

3 vs 8. You decide.
    But 90s was arguably the finest era for fast bowlers. There have not been too many great bowlers before the 80s-90s period I think.
    Last edited by smalishah84; 07-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Teja, I have said it before and I will say it again. You are a funny guy. And I still can't believe that you are just 17 years old.
    17 yr old with a man crush on a 6 yr old.

But 90s was arguably the finest era for fast bowlers. There have not been too many great bowlers before the 80s-90s period I think.
    Spofforth, Lohmann, Barnes, Larwood, Bedser, Lindwall, Davidson, Trueman, Statham, Miller, Adcock, Hall, Mahmood, Snow, Voce, Tate, Peter Pollock to name a few (excluding the spinners, and those who 'also' played in the 80s)...

Yes, 90s was the best era for fast bowlers, followed by the 80s and the 70s...but saying that there were not many great fast bowlers before that will not be right. In fact, I would say every decade of the twentieth century produced at least as many great fast bowlers as the 2000s. Every decade has had its Steyn, if not more.
    Last edited by weldone; 07-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    17 yr old with a man crush on a 6 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Played for an average team and with a junk bowling lineup...had superlative performances in all corners of the world, against all opponents...took many wickets, gave away the least runs without ANY support from the other end...never shied away from bowling too many overs in unhelpful conditions...always gave his best for the team, be it in a test match against the best opponent, or an ODI with the lightest....had McGrath's line-and-length coupled with more pace, slightly better outswinger and much better inswinger...almost always troubled the best of batsmen he bowled to...added value as a hard-working batsman in an average batting lineup...didn't sleep with Liz Hurley or 'have jaws like Greek Gods' though...but I'm not a Hollywood director searching for the protagonist for my next project either...
    Agree with everything you say. And I am inclined to downgrade the guy with jaws like Greek Gods.

Talking about Hadlee, as week as New Zealand was, it was the only team during the 80's to win at least one series against every opposition. They won 9 series in all (2 each against Eng, Aus and SL. 1 each against Ind, Pak, WI). In all but one series (one against Ind), he was the leading wicket-taker...on either side. Talk about being a match winner! Show me another cricketer that lifted an average side to such levels so single handedly.

EDIT: Yet, I don't see why you rate Imran so low in your pecking order
    Last edited by ankitj; 07-01-2011 at 09:44 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I went for Warne. Something special about watching a leggie weave his magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Wouldn't disagree with a word of this - Imran for me too.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Imran for me because all-rounders are the most valuable cricketers and Imran is the second most valuable cricketer to play the game post 1900 after Bradman, IMHO.

If I had a second, third and fourth vote, They'd go to Kallis, Hadlee and Gilchrist.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information