2 3.23%
  • Jacques Kallis

8 12.90%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Poll: Greatest Cricketer amongst this lot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    You seem to rate Lara very very highly
    Yeah, the best batsman of all time bar Sir Donald Bradman, a peerless match-winner and a ridiculously gifted player. Watching him bat was the cricketing equivalent of having an orgasm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Sweaty man crush. We've been over this.

International Captain
    As there was criteria given for voting I voted for Botham who's the most naturally gifted all around cricketer from the list.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    The era McGrath played in didn't make that much of a difference though. It was definitely enough for me to say McGrath was in fact a better bowler than Hadlee, but only by a small margin. They were in fact 13th and 14th in my standardised bowling averages thread, which took the standards of run-scoring into account (it was basically its only purpose ).
    Hadlee's average minus the minnows of his time should probably be considered. Great bowler, but I think McGrath was a bit more cheaper than your stats suggest.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Hadlee's average minus the minnows of his time should probably be considered. Great bowler, but I think McGrath was a bit more cheaper than your stats suggest.
    Those stats actually take the quality of each team into account though. There are definitely factors standardised averages don't take into account (longevity, top order v lower order wickets, support, strike rate, context of performances, difficulty of bowling in your home country compared to others at the time etc etc) so they aren't in any way a perfect measure, but minnow-bashing and era differences are taken care of, largely. I'm in no way saying they're the be all and end all, but I personally trust them to account for two factors scorebook averages dont : era run-scoring standards and relative quality of opposition. Given they're the first two things people have come up with to point out McGrath's supposed superiority over Hadlee, I'm inclined to think both are exaggerated in this particular case. I think McGrath was the better bowler but I do not think there is much in it at all; two extremely similar bowlers career-wise.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Given New Zealand's quality of the time, a bowler that owned much harder against "minnows" than he did anyone else was probably worth quite a bit more to them than one who did the opposite anyway. Assuming the end goal of cricket is to win matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Given New Zealand's quality of the time, a bowler that owned much harder against "minnows" than he did anyone else was probably worth quite a bit more to them than one who did the opposite anyway. Assuming the end goal of cricket is to win matches.
    Given the most he averaged against any country was 28 against Pakistan, I don't think it's fair to say he made up for failing against anyone by dominating minnows. He was remarkably consistent against all countries, with the exception of Sri Lanka who he averaged 12 against but only played 6 times anyway.

As a matter of curiosity who do you think had the best batting line-up in their careers? Hadlee did marvelously against the best team of his time/probably the best players of pace too. Whereas in McGrath's career the best players of pace were probably S.Africa and the best line-up in general would have been India's.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Given the most he averaged against any country was 28 against Pakistan, I don't think it's fair to say he made up for failing against anyone by dominating minnows. He was remarkably consistent against all countries, with the exception of Sri Lanka who he averaged 12 against but only played 6 times anyway.
    That is quite outstanding. The highest average against any country being 28.

McGrath's is 27. Marshall's 22.51.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    McGrath's is 27. Marshall's 22.51.
    once again he is very close to McGrath.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information