• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke quits as T20 captain

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Good news. He has never been able to adapt to the game, and has always represented the weak link in the batting lineup.

He should never have been named captain to begin with.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
So happy abou it. Credit to Clarke aswell, musn't be an easy thing to do, but it's clear that playing 20/20s has been messing with his technique. Hopefully now he can start working hard on what he's best at - Test Match batting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good but can't believe it's gotten to this point. He was never a T20 player. He knew it, we all knew it, the selectors didn't. They ****ed him on this one, whole situation where he's had to quit could so easily have been avoided had he not been shoehorned into the T20 side just to give him captaincy experience.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Overdue.

I wonder if he'd actually make the t20i side on merit alone and not on virtue of being captain.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Selectors FULLY to blame for that debacle, obvious to 99% of cricket fans that Clarke is woeful in that format. Time for the big wigs to accept that he is NOT the future of our cricket, just someone in the team. Just let him bat, like Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Mark Waugh, Slater. All those guys were better than Clarke and werent even vice captains.

pasag

RTDAS
Overdue.

I wonder if he'd actually make the t20i side on merit alone and not on virtue of being captain.
Of course he wouldn't. Cameron White the obvious replacement here.

To be honest, Clarke has made grand gestures like this in the past, like skipping the IPL to show how focussed he is on Tests. It doesn't really matter that much to me. What I want to know is how hard he's working to get back into form. Matt Hayden would spend hours after hours in the nets, showing an amazing dedication to his game and doing whatever it takes to be the best. I'd like to see that from Clarke as well.

Capt Blackadder

Cricket Spectator
Excellent news Clarke was never a 20/20 batsmen and White will be a far better Captain plus since we will be dropping him since on form he doesn't make it into the side we can get someone like Finch in who has being dominate in domestic 20/20 with an average of over 40 in 20/20. Which shows just how much of a clean striker of the ball he is.

Spark

Global Moderator
This should have been ****ing done all those months ago just after the T20 WC when Clarke basically told the selectors that he wasn't good enough.

Burgey

Hang on, these are meant to be tribute threads aren't they?

Well done Clarkeh on a stellar T20 career. Led the side well in the T20 WC last year - They nearly won it despite him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Overdue.

I doubt he'd get into New South Wales' T20 side, never mind Australia's.

Cam White for T20 captain to give him experience for when he takes over in 2013 after Clarke is sacked following a 5-0 Ashes defeat takes Australia to 9th in the rankings.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Good to see something happen, don't care how overdue it is, just happy its happened. If Clarke took the initiative himself then I'm still worried.

Spark

Global Moderator
It sounds very much like he has, which, yes, is disturbing. When the player himself knows that he's not cut out for this format, what the **** are the selectors doing?!

howardj

International Coach
It sounds very much like he has, which, yes, is disturbing. When the player himself knows that he's not cut out for this format, what the **** are the selectors doing?!
Totally oblivious, clueless aren't they.

Hilditch on the phone: "What is it, fatigue? You're a key part of our T20 batting lineup moving forward". :laugh:

vcs

Hang on, these are meant to be tribute threads aren't they?

Well done Clarkeh on a stellar T20 career. Led the side well in the T20 WC last year - They nearly won it despite him.
:laugh:

Redbacks

International Captain
Think we need a fancy US consultant to come in and shake things up.

"The Wicketkeeper as VC paradigm has got to change maaannn!"

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every cloud has a silver lining :laugh:

Hopefully, this is the first of many long overdue changes

Edit: Hold on, the article says that Ponting is expected to return as test captain - you have to be ****ing kidding

Last edited: