• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v India subforum?

Are you in favour of a subforum for the England v India Test Series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
My personal opinion is that this series isn't big enough to warrant a sub-forum. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Perhaps one option is splitting it out into two threads for the Test and ODI aspect of the tour.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A couple of years ago I would have agreed James. However:

- India are ranked 1, I believe Eng might be 2 by the time it comes round if all goes to plan
- a throwaway comment from Darren bloody Gough produced a 200 reply thread in hours. One thread won't contain all discussion IMO
-there seem to be huge numbers of fans from both sides. The WC game thread was busy busy

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have an idea.. instead of a subforum for every individual series, we could have a subforum for "Test Series" in general, where every time a series is played, you could have sticky threads for each Test, and general threads populating that subforum discussing individual events such as team selection, captaincy, tactics, declarations, whatever that is specific to the series. It would make a nice distinction from Cricket Chat where you have lots of player comparison and analysis threads, discussion about past greats, reviews, tribute threads etc. but nothing about the cricket that is being played ATM. If many series are occurring at the same time, they could all share that subforum to discuss the ongoing cricket. The Ashes will probably get its own subforum anyway, which is fair enough.

We could have one subforum for all Test cricket and one for all ODI cricket played outside WCs and Champions Trophies, i.e. bilateral series, triangular tournaments etc.

We could even take the never ending "India are the worst Test No. 1s ever LOLZ" debates out of Cricket Chat and put them in the proposed "Test Series" subforum. Every time someone wants to have a whinge about our undeserved spot at the top of the rankings, they could go and bump an "Official Test Rankings" thread created for that explicit purpose. :p

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Yes, Ind Eng is the new Ashes. A dominant team undefeated for 16 years vs a team which is finding it's way to the top after a brilliant away win in Aus, who knows it could be a watershed like 2005 :ph34r:

Teja.

Global Moderator

- India are ranked 1, I believe Eng might be 2 by the time it comes round if all goes to plan
- a throwaway comment from Darren bloody Gough produced a 200 reply thread in hours. One thread won't contain all discussion IMO
-there seem to be huge numbers of fans from both sides. The WC game thread was busy busy
AWTA

z

Howe_zat

Audio File
People have been discussing this series for a long time and the level of interest I really doubt can be restricted to one thread without it being seriously cluttered to follow. Given the amount of regular posters from both sides, and how most of the more prolific posters here are Test enthusiasts, I'd think it will be give rise to a lot more discussion than the IPL.

Perhaps, playing off vcs' idea, we could have a subforum for the English summer as a whole, encompassing the Sri Lankans' tour and the domestic season too? There's plenty of discussion to go around there. t'd be relevant too, as people could discuss things like players to be called up from county cricket, comparing the two test series and so on.

I also think that since sub-forums give people a greater license to create threads and "fill up the space", so to speak, even having the subforum would soon justify itself. Unless there's some reason why having more subforums would be a burden technically, I'd think it would help encourage more posting and thus help the site.

vcs

People have been discussing this series for a long time and the level of interest I really doubt can be restricted to one thread without it being seriously cluttered to follow. Given the amount of regular posters from both sides, and how most of the more prolific posters here are Test enthusiasts, I'd think it will be give rise to a lot more discussion than the IPL.

Perhaps, playing off vcs' idea, we could have a subforum for the English summer as a whole, encompassing the Sri Lankans' tour and the domestic season too? There's plenty of discussion to go around there. t'd be relevant too, as people could discuss things like players to be called up from county cricket, comparing the two test series and so on.

I also think that since sub-forums give people a greater license to create threads and "fill up the space", so to speak, even having the subforum would soon justify itself. Unless there's some reason why having more subforums would be a burden technically, I'd think it would help encourage more posting and thus help the site.
Agree... a "Test Series Discussion" subforum could be a nice permanent addition to keep series specific topical matter all in one place. Would advocate keeping domestic cricket separate though. Probably by adding another subforum for "Domestic Cricket Discussion". :smartass:.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dislike subforums tbh. Splits up the discussion and makes it confusing to know where to post stuff. Realise they're necessary for some big events, but as a rule the less the better IMO.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really like subforums for series involving two countries much - it's nice to have posters from all countries chipping in, and I'm not sure how many of them would go specifically to an England-India subforum.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I disagree with the test cricket forum ftr. Has a high chance of leading to elitism subconsciously or otherwise where most of the regulars might post mainly in that sub-forum alone.

Sub-forum for Ind-Eng though, please. Just too much activity for one/two/three threads.

vcs

I disagree with the test cricket forum ftr. Has a high chance of leading to elitism subconsciously or otherwise where most of the regulars might post mainly in that sub-forum alone.

Sub-forum for Ind-Eng though, please. Just too much activity for one/two/three threads.
Hmm.. don't understand why that might happen. I'd think splitting current cricket discussion from general cricket discussion, which there is plenty of in Cricket Chat, would be a pretty logical thing to do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Just came across this thread : http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/world-cup-2011/50838-most-active-popular-wc-threads.html

Whilst there's no doubt it was one of the games of the tournament which will have played a part, it's the only non-knockout game with those sorts of numbers, thus showing the high interest there is on here in an Eng-Ind series

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Disagree with the existence of the "Cricket Chat" forum tbh, brings down the site. Particularly when I post in it, FTR.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Benchmark v Jono subforum imo.

James, do you have any data on where the forum's visitors or members come from (as in % by country)?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My personal opinion is that this series isn't big enough to warrant a sub-forum. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Perhaps one option is splitting it out into two threads for the Test and ODI aspect of the tour.
Your personal opinion is wrong.

Provided England win against Sri Lanka, then it's a 4 match Test series between the sides ranked numbers 1 and 2 in the world.

It's also a series between two of the biggest fan communities on the site.

Look at the most popular threads in the WC subforum. England v India is right up there despite it being an inconsequential group game, rather than a vital knockout game. Look at how quickly this thread took off in terms of discussion.

This is the biggest Test series there's been for a good few years. Denying it a subforum because "it isn't big enough" when you yourself asked a couple of weeks ago if the IPL needed its own subforum is either inconsistent or just plain stupid.