• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kemar Roach and Ian Bell

shivfan

Banned
The West Indies were 35 runs short of an unlikely Test win at Brisbane when Kemar Roach was given out caught behind. Roach used a review, and even though Hotspot showed that there was no 'spot' on the bat, the umpires surprisingly upheld their decision to give Roach out.

In the final Ashes Test at Sydney, Ian Bell was given out caught behind, and chose to use a review. Once again, Hotspot showed that there was no 'spot' on the bat, but this time the umpires reversed their decision, and Bell was reprieved and adjudged to be not out.

Two identical situations, two different outcomes....

I think UDRS is a good system. The problem is that the umpires implementing the system are inconsistent. Did the umpires err when they gave Roach out? Have the umpires finally got their act together where UDRS is concerned? If Roach had been batting today, would he have been given a reprieve and be ruled not out?

Quite a few WI fans were understandably upset about the Roach decision. All we ask for is consistency from the umpires....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Top Cat mentioned this in the 5th test match thread in the Ashes forum.

It is a great point.

Ruckus

International Captain
Very interesting comparison. Yeah I think if they just keep hotspot as is (without snicko) then they simply have to reverse the decision if nothing shows. Even though hotspot is limited, the bottom line is overall it improves the amount of correct decisions. The occasions where a faint nick doesn't show are too rare to justify the removal of the entire system imo. I would be all for more accurate updates to the technology and the incoporation of snicko though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Snicko is never available to the TV umpire.

In all honesty the final Bell decision is consistent with the Clarke one from an earlier Test in this series. Maybe the ICC have issued guidelines for umpires.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
The Roach thing made me rage also.

Though not as much as Watson's wicket celebration on getting out Gayle in the same test. That was such ****e.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The sad part about the whole situation is that we have one of the better umpires around, Aleem Dar, second-guessing his decisions. He gave it rightly, possibly going on the noise, had it referred and was told there was no hot-spot and so over-rode his earlier decision, in the end, getting it wrong. Reckon next time he'll go with his instincts.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the use of the system has improved and become more consistent over the last 12 months. I remember one of the first series it was used in NZ (I think against the West Indies?) where some truly bizarre decisions were made using the system at the time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think the use of the system has improved and become more consistent over the last 12 months. I remember one of the first series it was used in NZ (I think against the West Indies?) where some truly bizarre decisions were made using the system at the time.
Yeah, when the system was initially used it seemed at times as if the 3rd umpires were unwilling to correct mistakes their on field colleagues had made.

shivfan

Banned
I suppose it raises another question....

Is it time for TV umpires to use snicko? Or is it not good enough yet?