• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest Cricketer Ever

bagapath

International Captain
You stated your opinions with similar arrogance tbh
i am not going to run into peter roebuck ever. so it's fine.

smalishah84 said:
But Shane Warne is not the best cricketer of the last 25 years. Especially if you put in Viv Richards and Imran Khan and Muralitharan and Tendulkar in there then the competition is quite stiff.
if post 1986 is what we are looking at when we speak of the past 25 years... then warne has a better shout than later day richards, imran and other greats.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Keith Warne has a very good shout for being among the best 10 or 15 cricketers of the last 25 years (as well as among the 3 best Australian legspinners of all-time)...very good cricketer indeed...

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
i am not going to run into peter roebuck ever. so it's fine.

if post 1986 is what we are looking at when we speak of the past 25 years... then warne has a better shout than later day richards, imran and other greats.
This might mean another Murali vs Warne debate :).......but my point is that the debate for the last 25 years is not as clear cut as that for Bradman or Sobres.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread should have been closed immediately. Now people who are level-headed fans of Tendulkar will get a reputation for blind fanboyism and what not, based on this nonsense. If you don't want those pointless to-and-fros, close threads like this immediately.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You also don't want to be overly dismissive of new posters and make them feel small.

CW can be a difficult place for a new poster, with all the in-jokes, acronyms and there's a large amount of group think that occurs here, which leads to the dismissing of the opinions of new posters that don't fit the mould.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah it's pathetic.

I strongly disagree with those that say Sachin is better than Bradman, but when analysts and other commentators are saying it, closing threads of people who say it is ridiculous.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair enough. But then it also gets annoying when people play the "blind fanboy" card if you have a genuine difference of opinion during a sensible debate.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You also don't want to be overly dismissive of new posters and make them feel small.

CW can be a difficult place for a new poster, with all the in-jokes, acronyms and there's a large amount of group think that occurs here, which leads to the dismissing of the opinions of new posters that don't fit the mould.
Yeah it's pathetic.

I strongly disagree with those that say Sachin is better than Bradman, but when analysts and other commentators are saying it, closing threads of people who say it is ridiculous.
Agreed.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
"Better read my article fully" ha ha ha ha ha. How old are you? 11? I hope peter roebuck doesn't catch you speaking in that arrogant tone.

Now..... Since you sound so patronizing here are some cricket tidbits for you.

Bradman once scored 100 runs in about 30 balls. His test batting SR is 59. Sachin's is 54.

Sachin didn't score a hundred against ambrose.

Sachin is not even the greatest batsman of the generation. (The greatest came from port of spain and he batted left handed)

The greatest batsman of the last 50 years came from antigua. He chewed gum at the batting crease and spat out opposition bowlers.

The greatest cricketer of the past 60 years was born in barbados. He batted left handed. Bowled left arm fast, medium pace, finger spin and wrist spin. He whacked the ball with great style and power. Took wickets any time the team needed. Pouched impossible catches. Hit 6 sixers in an over. Scored 365 n.o. Sachin didn't do any of that.

The greatest cricketer of the past 25 years slept with liz hurley.
Sachin didn't do that either.
Bagapath, I agree with nearly everything you have written here. Just out of curiosity, if we moved the time span back to 1975, and were trying to assess the greatest cricketer of the last 35 years, who would you rate as the greater player: Viv Richards or Shane Warne.

It is literally a toss of the coin, but I would probably go with Viv, just.