Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Cricketer Ever

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Blackadder View Post
    I think he has and he says it is silly. I think he has said the greatest accolade that he ever got was when Bradman said that he reminded him of himself. My view of Tendulker is the same as Richies

YouTube - Tendulkar is the best batsman since Bradman - Richie Benaud
    Obviously no cricketer would ever say that I am the best ever. I doubt even Bradman used to boast that himself.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Obviously no cricketer would ever say that I am the best ever. I doubt even Bradman used to boast that himself.
    Bradman said many a times that a certain Sobers was better cricketer than himself.

However, from all accounts, Bradman didn't have much doubts about the fact that he himself was the best 'batsman' ever. But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.

Which kind of proves that Bradman's strength lay in his immense concentration (which is something that would transcend era's).

Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Which kind of proves that Bradman's strength lay in his immense concentration (which is something that would transcend era's).
    I guess it's more about discipline of attacking batsmanship through only ground-strokes that he perfected. He was a supremely attacking batsman who believed that 'you can't get out caught if you hit along the carpet'.

It's an amazing talent when you think of it more seriously. Even Tendulkar, of late, has tried to follow these lines (though he's not as attacking as Bradman was). But I can remember at least 4 situations in the last 2 series when he got out caught trying to play an uppish shot.
    Last edited by weldone; 07-01-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Yeah exactly. That's something that should be factored against Tendulkar. Imagine going by boat every time you want to play in England.

Seriously people back in those days must have had balls of steel, with all the stuff they had to put up with. Pressure of a billion people haha, what a joke.
    Yeah, that's one argument that always makes me chuckle. Bradman's career was dissected by the biggest war of all time .
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Bradman said many a times that a certain Sobers was better cricketer than himself.

However, from all accounts, Bradman didn't have much doubts about the fact that he himself was the best 'batsman' ever. But he also opined that there have been batsmen more talented than him, but they threw their wickets more often than he did.
    Bradman, while somewhat modest, fully knew he was the best ever batsmen.

Once in the 90s Bradman was asked how he would have fared against the English bowling attack at that time. He was specifically asked what his average would have been against that attack. Bradman answered that it would have been somewhere around 50 or so. The interviewer was surprised to hear that and asked if he had got the question right. Bradman coolly answered that this average was not bad for a man who was 85-years old at that time.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    Bradman, while somewhat modest, fully knew he was the best ever batsmen.

Once in the 90s Bradman was asked how he would have fared against the English bowling attack at that time. He was specifically asked what his average would have been against that attack. Bradman answered that it would have been somewhere around 50 or so. The interviewer was surprised to hear that and asked if he had got the question right. Bradman coolly answered that this average was not bad for a man who was 85-years old at that time.
    Haha, I think I heard Warne, Tendulkar and Barry Richards narrate the same incident independently like it happened to them personally. Perhaps was a Bradman staple.
    Isnt it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Dean Jones and Mike Whitney have both claimed it too - I think it's one of those stories that's been retold so many times now that we'll never know exactly where it came from or if/when it was said!
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Greatest cricketer ever - Sir Don Bradman. Easy.

I've heard that it was Tendulkar

It may just be an old wives tale though

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    I've heard that it was Tendulkar

It may just be an old wives tale though

I thought he said he'd average around 70...

Yep, 70. And yes, it was Tendulkar.

Finally, to lighten his Bradman-esque aura, Tendulkar tells a lovely story about him and Warne visiting the old master. He neglects to mention he was the only modern player Bradman included in his best-ever XI and chooses, instead, to highlight the warmth of their meeting. "We went to see him on his 90th birthday. It was very special. We were talking about averages and I said, 'Sir Don, if you were playing today, what would you have averaged?' And he said, '70 probably.' I asked, 'Why 70 and not your actual average of 99?' Bradman said, 'Come on, an average of 70 is not bad for a 90-year-old man.'"
    Tendulkar rocks back in his chair and laughs. In this humorous moment, as one cricketing giant thinks of another, it's easy to admire the same qualities in Tendulkar. "This is what I tell my son. Whether you're an 11-year-old boy or Don Bradman we should never forget it's just a game we can all enjoy."
    Last edited by Spark; 07-01-2011 at 06:00 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I thought he said he'd average around 70...

Yep, 70. And yes, it was Tendulkar.
    Yeah that's the story I've heard before.

I copied the story I posted before from another site. Always thought he said 70 but presumed I remembered it wrong
    Last edited by GotSpin; 07-01-2011 at 06:08 AM.

vcs
    I have heard the above anecdote about 2232451 different times. It was 70 instead of 50 FTR.

EDIT : Beaten to it by Spark.

Yeah, I was hearing that story years before anyone had heard of Tendulkar, so either Bradman told that story a hell of a lot, or that Bradman-Tendulkar exchange was - ahem - contrived or embellished a little.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information