Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Season Thread

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar

Off Season Thread

This is for all the moves and all the going on during the winter for the Counties

I will start off and give you news about Warwickshire

Warwick have signed Ntini for one of there Overseas Players also they are looking at 20 year old Monty Panesar from Northamptonshire. Panesar was one of the Millenium kids Featured by the Sun but is Out of favour as Jason Brown and Graham Swann are prefered as Spin Bowler for Northants.

Warwickshire have also Released Veteran Off spinner Neil Smith, All-rounder Mohammed Shelkh and also fast bowler Mervyn Betts. also Second Xi players have been released 20 year old Off Spinner Bhavin Joshi 22 year old fast Bowler Nick Warren and 24 year old left arm Spinner Jamie Spiers

Warwickshire have given a 2 years deal to 21 year old Ian Westwood who impressed in the second xi for the last two years.

Worcestershire have signed Andrew Hall for the 2004 season. Hall has Impressed this year despite being with South Africa for part of the Summer. Kadeer and Kabir Ali have signed 2 year deals

Nantie hayward leaves Worcester next week, his reason being that he wants to play for South Africa Again.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    First I'd heard about Ntini - what's your source Chris?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Hopefully Makhaya will be a class act in the Championship.. He certainly has the class to do it, he should produce the goods for Warwicks if its all true...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    My source (Ceefax) says Ntini isn't allowed to go to Warwickshire because the UCBSA don't want him to.

And I can't see Mornantau "Incinerate the Bridges" Hayward playing again for South Africa.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    I heard that he will sign soon....

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Durham have just announced that they will be releasing six players.

Bowlers Ian Hunter, Nicky Hatch and Nicky Phillips have not been offered new contracts.

And all-rounders Danny Law, Ashley Thorpe and Chris Mann have also been told they can leave.

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    My source (Ceefax) says Ntini isn't allowed to go to Warwickshire because the UCBSA don't want him to.

And I can't see Mornantau "Incinerate the Bridges" Hayward playing again for South Africa.
    Yep that's also the case from a few websites

BBCi | Cricinfo

Marc told me that Ian Harvey who just refused a new contract at Gloucs is close to agreeing a new deal at Yorks for next season, anyone else heard this?

Also I read M.Hussey will not return for Northants, instead he plans to stay in Australia to try and fight for a place in the Australian squad.

Originally posted by chris.hinton
    I heard that he will sign soon....
    I never expected he would.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Reading the Sunday Times, I got the impression the UCBSA in all there wisdom incinerated his bridges for him...

However, if his heart is in earning pounds stirling instead of playing for his country, then good riddance to him...

Well I just heard an evil rumour that Surrey are after M.Saggers :!( :!( - Lets all just prey that's all it is!

Well after taking wickets for fun at Worcs, Alamgir Sheriyar came to Kent and did umm umm not alot. As a result of a bad season, news seems to be he will be released with Essex leading the chasing pack.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 20-09-2003 at 08:40 AM.

Originally posted by Rich2001
    Well after taking wickets for fun at Worcs, Alamgir Sheriyar came to Kent and did umm umm not alot.
    I never expected him to do much really - was shocked when he was signed to be honest.

Originally posted by marc71178
    I never expected him to do much really - was shocked when he was signed to be honest.
    He was signed on the reason that he was a genuine wicket-taker who got 70 odd on avg a season, he offered varity being left armed and also signed to try and add some spice to the side in trying to bowl teams tails out (5-10) have scored something like 80% all the runs agaist us this season and espically when teams have been destoryed in the first inngs in the 2nd they go into their shells and we seem to be ineffective in getting them out.

However 33 wkts @ 31 and S/R of just 59.1, Econ of 3.20 speaks for itself (13 Matches)

In context M Muralitharan 33 wkts @ 13.54 and S/R of just 32.2, econ 2.51 (5 Matches)
    Last edited by Rich2001; 20-09-2003 at 08:50 AM.

- I just read that Somerset offered Nasser Hussain big money to go there and sort them out but he turned them down. That's why they are now after Ian Ward.

- Northants have signed Martin van Jaarsveld, to replace Hussey. And David Paynter, John Blain, Tony Penberthy and Tom Baker have all been released by Northamptonshire

- C.Sliverwood / R.Sidebottom are being eyed up by Lancs, who in turn have about 5/6 players whos contracts are up (although most of those are expected to be offered new contracts) J.Wood and A Swann are the two biggest names who might miss out.

- Gloucestershire and Kent are both reportedly interested in hiring Wayne Clark as Coach, who was surprisingly sacked by Yorkshire a year ago.

Former New Zealand Test off-spinner John Bracewell, who has coached Gloucestershire to six titles in as many years, is leaving the job to join the national team.

Kent are seeking a replacement for Australian Ian Brayshaw, who has declined an offer to extend a two-year term due to family reasons.

- Derbyshire all-rounder Jason Kerr has been forced to retire because of a persistent shoulder injury.

- Derbyshire Spinner Lian Wharton is the only other player who will not return in 2004 after his contract expired.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 20-09-2003 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information