• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off Season Thread

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
They why did they give him a 2 year deal then? it is a bit stupid..... then again it is Warwickshire we are talking about
But then again, Worcestershire have just given 39 year old Steve Rhodes another year on his contract. He will reach 40 in the middle of next season. I don't think you have any basis to attack Warwichshire, who have 2 good keepers who both still have plenty of years left in them.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
I just thought that releasing Clifford was a bit strange, Perhaps they think that Sandy Allen will be better i dont know but all i know is that Tony Frost at 28 must be one patient guy,
Frost played more than Piper this season IIRC.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I find this a bit strange. I mean Sidebottom is a top county bowler, and Gough won't be around next year.

Maybe the likes of Tim Bresnan are going to play a bigger part?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Rik said:
But then again, Worcestershire have just given 39 year old Steve Rhodes another year on his contract. He will reach 40 in the middle of next season. I don't think you have any basis to attack Warwichshire, who have 2 good keepers who both still have plenty of years left in them.
I can because we have two excellent young keepers in David Pipe and 17 year old Steve davies Who is in the under 19 squad for England. and i think the reason for Rhodes being given a one year deal is for tho coach the young keepers.

Also Frost is 28 and playing Second xi cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Also Frost is 28 and playing Second xi cricket
Which Frost are you talking about?

Tony Frost is 27 and played 13 out Warwickshire's 17 First Class Matches this season - so unless CC Div 1 is now 2nd XI Cricket, I think you may be a little wrong here.

Rich2001

International Captain
Bazza said:
I find this a bit strange. I mean Sidebottom is a top county bowler, and Gough won't be around next year.

Maybe the likes of Tim Bresnan are going to play a bigger part?
I heard that it was Sidebottom who wantted out not Yorkshire pushing him out, so maybe he doesn't get on with the coaching staff (Oh hang on that's his Dad!)

There was also talk of allowing Gough to leave and get a younger and more regular player in, however they decided agaist that and gave Gougie another 1 year contract.

You think when Yorks have a full sqaud they have:-

- Gough
- Hoggard
- Kirby
- Sliverwood
- Bresnan
- White (if he bowls again)
- Others that I forgot

Oh I also forgot to say in the orignal post that Gavin Hamliton has been released too.

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
Shane Warne Returns To The South Coast

Shane Warne will atempt to actually make it to Hamps again next season, after his 12 month ban... However they haven't decided if they will offer him the Captains job this time around.

Rich2001

International Captain
Lancashire

Stuart Law has agreed to stay on again next season for Lancashire as one of their two overseas players.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Hopefully Warney will get the captaincy. Things didn't go as well as they could have under John Crawley. Once again, plenty of reasons to be optimistic looking to next season but it never turns out that way...

As for Law, apparently he is looking to qualify as a domestic player through residence. His wife is British as well I believe. I think if he plays 4 straight seasons he doesn't count as an overseas player right?

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Which Frost are you talking about?

Tony Frost is 27 and played 13 out Warwickshire's 17 First Class Matches this season - so unless CC Div 1 is now 2nd XI Cricket, I think you may be a little wrong here.
Frost will be 28, also he only played because Piper was Injured. But in the past he has been sat in 2nd xi cricket

Rich2001

International Captain
Bazza said:
As for Law, apparently he is looking to qualify as a domestic player through residence. His wife is British as well I believe. I think if he plays 4 straight seasons he doesn't count as an overseas player right?
Indeed he is, unsure if it's 4 or 5... but either way next season is the final one.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Warwickshire have signed 19 year old Steve Taylor from Shorpshire, Taylor has broke into the first team this year and Warwickshire need young fast bowlers to stengthen there side up. Navdeep Poonia has signed a one year Retainer Contract.... Both will feature in the second xi this year

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
Warwickshire have signed 19 year old Steve Taylor from Shorpshire, Taylor has broke into the first team this year and Warwickshire need young fast bowlers to stengthen there side up. Navdeep Poonia has signed a one year Retainer Contract.... Both will feature in the second xi this year
Interisting, I've never heard of Taylor, not even in Bank's Cricket League games. He hasn't played for the Shropshire county side as far as I know. A Shropshire player to look out for is Adam Shimmons at Northants, 12th in the FC Bowling averages this year but hampered by injuries.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Billy Taylor is set to join Hampshire after failing to agree terms with Sussex. Shaun Rashid turned out to not be as useful as they thought he would be, remember that episode where they had to appologise to the parents of Umer Rashid because they were signing Shaun who has the same last name, so soon after Umer's death.

Ian Ward has joined Sussex, which makes barely any sense since they have one of the best opening partnerships in the country in Montgomerie and Goodwin. Seems like he just wanted to jump on the Championship bandwagon instead.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Rik said:
Interisting, I've never heard of Taylor, not even in Bank's Cricket League games. He hasn't played for the Shropshire county side as far as I know. A Shropshire player to look out for is Adam Shimmons at Northants, 12th in the FC Bowling averages this year but hampered by injuries.
Talyor was in Warwickshire acadamy last year, but did not play in the birmingham league so i surpised by this

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Thank God for That!

Surrey have rejected Warwickshire's approach for the unsettled Rikki Clarke.

Narrow escape!