Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off Season Thread

- Kadeer Ali signed a one year contract at Worcs.

- Hampshire released John Francis (batsman, 22, expected to join Somerset, the cheeky git),

- Alex Morris (26, bowler, great in 98 and 99 and took 51 wickets in 01, but has been unable to bowl for two years due to back injuries),

- and Iain Brunnschweiler (try typing that when you're drunk!) - 23 year old w/k, good player but couldn't force his way ahead of Nic Pothas after Adrian Aymes retired last year.

Is that another case of EU players hurting England's chances? Brunnschweiler is a talented young wicketkeeper which we have seen popping up at many counties in the last few years (Read, Foster, Wallace, Jones, Prior, Batty, Pipe, Pratt, etc), but could be denied a decetn shot at FC cricket at least, due to a South African playing on a Greek passport.
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    If he's that good then it'll hurt Hampshire and not England.

Wicketkeeper-wise we have Sutton, Mustard, Pratt, Foster, Wallace, Jones, Nash, Read, Gazzard, Batty, Prior, Ambrose, Pipe and Guy who are all IMO as good as if not better than Brunnschweiler so I can't see it hurting England
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bazza
    - Kadeer Ali signed a one year contract at Worcs.

Kaddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Bazza
    Is that another case of EU players hurting England's chances?

It most definitely could be ... And this is the start of a virus that will spread through the English game and could slowly cripple it...

So you can guess my opinion on EU players...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Yeah Devon Malcolm made a point about it. He suggested a gentlemans agreement between counties that they would name 9 English qualified players in any match.

Personally I can't see that happening, but maybe if the number was 8 or 7 it is a more realistic possibility - still alot of English qualified players when multiplied by 18.

As for people who say it is impossible to reduce the number of matches (bar this ridiculous three divisions idea), how about counties only playing each other once per season. This would mean 8 FC games and 8 NCL games (50 overs), plus C&G and Twenty20.

Still a fair bit of cricket, and could help to improve the standard, increase attandances, and make every game more important, as well as removing the unnecessarily large playing squads at each county.

On the flip side, it could still mean less money coming in for the counties, which is the major problem.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Do teams actually make money from hosting CC matches?

Attendances that rival the Scottish Third Division and all the staff to pay can't be that profitable, can it?

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Warwickshire this weekend have also relased two more of there young players. Wicketkeeper Ian Clifford,20 and Batsman Huw Jones,23 both had one year left on there contracts.

This is Surpising in Clifford case because Piper cannot go on for ever......... releasing this young players comes has no surpise to me as warwick always do it

Originally posted by chris.hinton
    Warwickshire this weekend have also relased two more of there young players. Wicketkeeper Ian Clifford,20 and Batsman Huw Jones,23 both had one year left on there contracts.

This is Surpising in Clifford case because Piper cannot go on for ever......... releasing this young players comes has no surpise to me as warwick always do it
    Piper is 33/34, and with Tony Frost aged 28/29, why keep someone who won't dislodge either of those 2 players?

Not surprising at all if you ask me.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Kent member getting extermly concerned over here!!!!

First theres talk of Martin Saggers leaving us - That as hard as I try I just don't blieve... Now to cap it all of reumors have began to start that Rob Key wants out too.

Please people knock your heads togeter a few times and come to your senses!!!!

And you're worried why exactly?

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by marc71178
    Because they are clearly two of our better players, Saggers stats over the past 5 years speak for themself and agreed R.Key had a poor season but his still a class act espically at County Level who has regularly added over 1,000 runs each season for us.

Rik
    Show me a Warwickshire bowler who's England qualified who's better than Saggers...

Key, despite his lack of International Success, is a good County opener who is still pretty young...
    Last edited by Rik; 22-09-2003 at 03:48 PM.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Originally posted by Rik
    Show me a Warwickshire bowler who's England qualified who's better than Saggers...
    I was talking about Key.

Warwickshire need 2 good overseas bowlers next year in order to get a decent team that could IMO challenge for the title.

Let's face it, with batting that reads Knight, Powell, Wagh, Bell, Troughton, Trott, Brown (1000 runs from 7 this year) - we should be OK in that department, and adding a decent opening bowler (Waqar for me could be the answer form his late season efforts) and a spinner (since Giles will almost certainly not play more than 2 or 3 CC games in 2004) and that's not a bad line up at all!

Just so long as the spinner isn't Collins Obuya! :P

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Piper is 33/34, and with Tony Frost aged 28/29, why keep someone who won't dislodge either of those 2 players?

Not surprising at all if you ask me.
    They why did they give him a 2 year deal then? it is a bit stupid..... then again it is Warwickshire we are talking about

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information