• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Off Season Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Do teams actually make money from hosting CC matches?

Attendances that rival the Scottish Third Division and all the staff to pay can't be that profitable, can it?

chris.hinton

International Captain
Warwickshire this weekend have also relased two more of there young players. Wicketkeeper Ian Clifford,20 and Batsman Huw Jones,23 both had one year left on there contracts.

This is Surpising in Clifford case because Piper cannot go on for ever......... releasing this young players comes has no surpise to me as warwick always do it

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Warwickshire this weekend have also relased two more of there young players. Wicketkeeper Ian Clifford,20 and Batsman Huw Jones,23 both had one year left on there contracts.

This is Surpising in Clifford case because Piper cannot go on for ever......... releasing this young players comes has no surpise to me as warwick always do it
Piper is 33/34, and with Tony Frost aged 28/29, why keep someone who won't dislodge either of those 2 players?

Not surprising at all if you ask me.

Rich2001

International Captain
Kent member getting extermly concerned over here!!!!

First theres talk of Martin Saggers leaving us - That as hard as I try I just don't blieve... Now to cap it all of reumors have began to start that Rob Key wants out too.

Please people knock your heads togeter a few times and come to your senses!!!!

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
And you're worried why exactly?
Because they are clearly two of our better players, Saggers stats over the past 5 years speak for themself and agreed R.Key had a poor season but his still a class act espically at County Level who has regularly added over 1,000 runs each season for us.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
And you're worried why exactly?
Show me a Warwickshire bowler who's England qualified who's better than Saggers...

Key, despite his lack of International Success, is a good County opener who is still pretty young...

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Show me a Warwickshire bowler who's England qualified who's better than Saggers...
I was talking about Key.

Warwickshire need 2 good overseas bowlers next year in order to get a decent team that could IMO challenge for the title.

Let's face it, with batting that reads Knight, Powell, Wagh, Bell, Troughton, Trott, Brown (1000 runs from 7 this year) - we should be OK in that department, and adding a decent opening bowler (Waqar for me could be the answer form his late season efforts) and a spinner (since Giles will almost certainly not play more than 2 or 3 CC games in 2004) and that's not a bad line up at all!

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Piper is 33/34, and with Tony Frost aged 28/29, why keep someone who won't dislodge either of those 2 players?

Not surprising at all if you ask me.
They why did they give him a 2 year deal then? it is a bit stupid..... then again it is Warwickshire we are talking about

chris.hinton

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I was talking about Key.

Warwickshire need 2 good overseas bowlers next year in order to get a decent team that could IMO challenge for the title.

Let's face it, with batting that reads Knight, Powell, Wagh, Bell, Troughton, Trott, Brown (1000 runs from 7 this year) - we should be OK in that department, and adding a decent opening bowler (Waqar for me could be the answer form his late season efforts) and a spinner (since Giles will almost certainly not play more than 2 or 3 CC games in 2004) and that's not a bad line up at all!
Warwickshire Bowling is poor and the sad factor is they are releasing all there younger bowlers before they get the chance.

If for example Warwickshire get in Ntini and say Hauritz of Australia( this is just an example) then there side would be this

Knight (Capt)
Powell
Wagh
Bell
Troughton
Trott
Brown
Piper
Ntini
Hauritz
Richardson

The Back up bowlers are not good enough, for example the 2nd xi bowlers would be Wagg ( at 20 needs 1st xi cricket), Tahir ( Never been any where near first team level) Carter ( will battle with Richardson) Mees ( at 23 he needs to progress at at rate of James Anderson)

Warwickshire will have to be busy in the winter just to sign 2 quick bowlers and a young back up spinner as releasing (Smith,Shelkh, Warren, Joshi, Spires and Betts) could mean that you either going into decline or you getting in EU players in the winter... i think it is the latter

Your Batting is strong though apart from them six you have Ostler, Penney and Frost to back up

As for Worcestershire we need to bring in a Fast Bowler during the winter together with another overseas player as hayward is not staying i would like us to sign a batsman as Singh will also leave someone like Graham Smith would be Good

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
You can keep dreaming about Smith.

And why do Warwicks need bowlers when they've got Trott, Wagh and Bell? :P

Regarding young players and releases: have you heard of something called a development plateau? Sometimes people reach a level and then don't get better. It happened to me at 8 :saint: but happens to plenty of people at around 13/14 and again 19/20 - and as Warwickshire take on so many young players they are bound to release plenty as well.

And Neil Carter is going to beat Alan Richardson for a 1st XI place nine times out of ten.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
They why did they give him a 2 year deal then? it is a bit stupid..... then again it is Warwickshire we are talking about
Another nice balanced post there Chris.

They gave him a 2 year deal, but have now realised he's not good enough to replace either keeper (lets face it, both are pretty decent players and have been interchanged all year)

Had he still had 3 or 4 years to run it would be puzzling, with 12 months it is not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Warwickshire Bowling is poor and the sad factor is they are releasing all there younger bowler before they get the chance.
Yet you said they aren't good enough when talking about the young back-up bowlers?

chris.hinton said:
If for example warwickshire get in Ntini
They're aren't signing Ntini. End of story.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
You can keep dreaming about Smith.
He has gone though Neil.

Neil Pickup said:
And Neil Carter is going to beat Alan Richardson for a 1st XI place nine times out of ten.
I wouldn't be so sure - Richardson seems to me to be vastly underrated at County level, and Carter seems to be more a one day player.

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't be so sure - Richardson seems to me to be vastly underrated at County level, and Carter seems to be more a one day player.
I agree with Marc on the who would play part.

And Neil your 9/10 was a little off, in the CC this season Richardson played 14 games to Carters 4.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rich2001 said:
I agree with Marc on the who would play part.

And Neil your 9/10 was a little off, in the CC this season Richardson played 14 games to Carters 4.
Ooops. I meant 2/9, honest, easy typo to make :saint:

Can't expect me to follow Division One now, can you...

Originally posted by marc71178
He has gone though Neil.
Not sure I understand you here.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I just thought that releasing Clifford was a bit strange, Perhaps they think that Sandy Allen will be better i dont know but all i know is that Tony Frost at 28 must be one patient guy,

Rich2001

International Captain
"Kent County Cricket Club today confirmed that it would not be offering Matthew Banes a contract for the 2004 season.

Earlier in the summer the club released opener Ian Flanagan and pace bowler Jamie Hewitt.

All other members of the 2003 playing staff are either under contract or in discussion with the Club regarding contracts for 2004 and beyond."

A little surprising here, Matty Banes has huge promise and has been tipped for about 2 season now that he is the next best thing, and was given a few games this season and they suddenly dump him :rolleyes: - Ive seen worse players at the club :(

Rich2001

International Captain
Yorkshire

D.Lehmann returns as one of the overseas players next year

And earier I said a few counties were intrested in R.Sidebottom, well as expected he was released offically on Wed'