• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Bats

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
People talk about flat decks and worse bowling, but I think the biggest change in cricket since the 90s are the bats. They just seem so overpowered now. Shots which used to be impossible now look ridiculously easy.

How far will this go? Should some kind of restrictions on bat technology be put in place?

Last edited:

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, same here. Tailenders should not be able to edge sixes over point.

Imagine what Viv Richards would've been like with these bats.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah bat technology is ridiculous nowadays.

Watching footage of 80s cricket is ridiculous actually. So many shots that nowadays would go a mile were out caught.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's definitely not mentioned as often as it probably should be but I don't think it detracts from the quality of cricket much, not in tests anyway. It doesn't especially help batsmen stay at the crease longer, it just makes runs easier to come by, so as long as it's the same for both teams I don't think it really matters in any real sense. Just gives us one more difficult-to-measure factor to take into account when comparing players across eras.

Might well have caused a dip in ODI quality, though.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
AWTA, really frustrating to see those top edges of well directed bouncers etc going for 6's ffs. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's definitely not mentioned as often as it probably should be but I don't think it detracts from the quality of cricket much, not in tests anyway. It doesn't especially help batsmen stay at the crease longer, it just makes runs easier to come by, so as long as it's the same for both teams I don't think it really matters in any real sense. Just gives us one more difficult-to-measure factor to take into account when comparing players across eras.

Might well have caused a dip in ODI quality, though.
Yeah, I agree to extent. It doesn't make batsmen harder to get out in Tests, really - not off the quicks anyway. I can definitely see how it'd be frustrating for spinners to repeatedly beat batsmen in flight and see the ball sail over long head's head for six or just clear mid on, though.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nothing wrong with it, tbh. Many of the 'innovations' we've seen (carbon handles/backs, hexagonal cutouts, Woodworm's concave edges, etc.) are snake oil. It's all still wood, just bats are weighted/balanced more scientifically these days and I don't think there should be restrictions on something like shaping your bat differently.

Plus, I don't think it can be over-stated that techniques have changed, the greater focus on getting into position and having multiple hitting options vs having one specific shot for specific types of balls means guy have more quick-scoring options. Just have to watch footage from before the early 90's to see how technique has evolved from 'if it's short play back, if full play forward'.

Mind you, it's also meant they have many more ways of getting them out as blokes coming up against Test fields and green decks are finding out (Phil Hughes and Steve Smith, looking in your direction)..... I'd be surprised if blokes in the past 5 years are scoring as many Test runs as those in the early 00's.

Last edited: