• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Test Ton XI vs One Test Wicket XI

Who would win in a 5 Test series?

• One Test before the rash clears up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Teams made up of players that - with a min of 10 Tests- have 1 test hundred and 1 Test wicket to their name.

In a 5 Test series, which would win? and why?

Code:
1 Test Wicket XI

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Mark Taylor
David Gower
Hanif Mohammad
Rahul Dravid
Marcus Trescothick
Jon Trott
Ian Bell
Mark Boucher
Ravi Bopara

Bowlers
			FC W	FC Av
Hobbs		RM	108	25.13
Trescothick	RM	36	43.08
Trott		RM	56	44.12
Bell		RM	37	33.27
Bopara		RM	107	44.03
Mohammad	ROS	53	28.49
In defence of the bowling attack
Code:
1 Test Ton XI

Douglas Jardine
Trevor Goddard
Peter Kirsten
Mohammad Kaif
David Hookes
Tatenda Taibu
Chaminda Vaas
Anil Kumble
Heath Streak
Jason Gillespie
Saqlain Mushtaq
I would love to see the wicket XI win but I suspect that the ton XI would.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have to be honest, a 4 man pace attack of Trescothick, Bopara, Trott and Bell excites me. Id love to see how that would go given the chance.

My dream 'pace attack' of part time bowlers would open with Gooch and Butcher followed by Boycott and Saj Mahmood.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goughy, surely the one test century team would walk this? They've got bowlers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy, surely the one test century team would walk this? They've got bowlers.
Possibly, and maybe even probably though they would still have to bowl the other team out twice and, given the depth, that isnt guaranteed. Also, I think the bowling for the 1 Test wicket XI is sneaky and the Test Ton XI's batting is possibly brittle.

Most likely result IMO is 4 draws with 1 win for either team and the Ton XI is as likely to collapse as the Wicket XI in 1 Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, The latter will win a 5 match series, 4-0 or 5-0.
I think it's fair to say the Wicket XI would be outplayed in most if not all of the Tests but they certainly have the batting to bat out more than one draw in the series. I think 1-0 or 2-0 is a far more likely result.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon 1 test wicket team just needs one out and out quality bowler and they'd be in with a shot.

Only way possible would be if there was someone who was a gun FC bowler, played a test, took a wicket and was then never selected again due to being in a strong team (bowling version of Stuart Law/Martin Love) or injured and had to retire early.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
surely it should be one test five wicket haul. always in the batsmen favour......

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Only way possible would be if there was someone who was a gun FC bowler, played a test, took a wicket and was then never selected again due to being in a strong team (bowling version of Stuart Law/Martin Love) or injured and had to retire early.
Yeah, Goughy made it ten Tests minimum though, so there's basically no way they're going to get any proper bowlers into the team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have just noticed, and will point out, that all the highlighted bowlers for the Wicket XI have more FC wickets than Michael Beer and better FC bowling averages than Xavier Doherty. :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha didn't read that. He's obviously designed this so there's a team full of batsmen :laugh: :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
Depends on the pitches too, I guess. Saqlain and Kumble are incredible bowlers in spinning conditions and will win the 2 on 10(?) tests played in spinning conditions.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
surely it should be one test five wicket haul. always in the batsmen favour......
That was the original idea but the 1 five wicket haul XI looked like a world beating team. It was far too good so I changed it to 1 wicket. Still there is one favourite team but the balance is closer.