• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
McGrath, Zaheer both have the ability to reverse the older ball which is always a life saver on dead tracks. Also goes without saying that McGrath is arguably one the most skillful fast bowlers of all time, and as he got old he added a lot more dimensions to his bowling. Zaheer too is pretty good within his own rights, and with are has developed his own bag of tricks.
Not sure I understand your point mate.

pup11

International Coach
Reckon most good bowlers in recent years were slow-ish, most of the quicker ones (except Steyn) were either too unfit or too rubbish to be good bowlers.
Morkel, Anderson, Amir, Johnson, Siddle, Broad, Bresnan, Gul, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus are few of the current test bowlers of different countries who can certainly crank it upto 90 mph or above on a regular basis and that is pretty sharp pace imo...

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah true, his first two overs were really ordinary and he's bowled the occasional **** ball since, but he's been swinging it a fair bit...he swings the red ball prodigiously though.

Gee another close one! I reckon Ferguson did well to get near it though.
Yeah he really looks a test match bowler to me, and the kind we need right now - someone who bowlers consistenly and doesn't leak runs. Unfortunately though, I wasn't aware his pace was that low. He was bowling at 120 and less, so unless for some reason his pace is down, I don't ever see him being selected because of that.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Morkel, Anderson, Amir, Johnson, Siddle, Broad, Bresnan, Gul, Bollinger, Hilfenhaus are few of the current test bowlers of different countries who can certainly crank it upto 90 mph or above on a regular basis and that is pretty sharp pace imo...
And that sure helped Johnson, Siddle, Bollinger and Hilfenhaus this summer.

ajdude

International Coach
Yeah he really looks a test match bowler to me, and the kind we need right now - someone who bowlers consistenly and doesn't leak runs. Unfortunately though, I wasn't aware his pace was that low. He was bowling at 120 and less, so unless for some reason his pace is down, I don't ever see him being selected because of that.
I have a feeling that his pace is down a bit, he looked sharper when I watched him on the Shield live stream (the match that he took 9fer and Hauritz dropped the 10th and the match)...more of a 130-135km/h bowler. But that might be just me...on the other hand, I get the feeling that Fox's speed guns have been a bit dodgy this season, Tait was only reaching about 145km/h at the very best the other night, Nannes bowled one or two over 140...it just seems like everybody's down 10km/h or so.

The beauty is, I can't see Copeland playing any T20s, so he'll hopefully come back when the Shield starts up and absolutely dominate. :D

pup11

International Coach
Not sure I understand your point mate.
My point is unless you swing the ball, you can't amble in and just bowl in the in high 120's and hope to do well on flat modern day test wickets. So when you bowl at that pace, then you need to have a few tricks up your sleeve, which blokes like Zaheer do.

TumTum

Banned
My point is unless you swing the ball, you can't amble in and just bowl in the in high 120's and hope to do well on flat modern day test wickets. So when you bowl at that pace, then you need to have a few tricks up your sleeve, which blokes like Zaheer do.
:huh: Copeland swings it mate

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
When you can move the ball both ways you don't necessarily need pace

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah but this is what gets me, this bloody obsession with out and out pace.

Yeah it's great to watch when some bloke ducks and weaves, but you know those West Indies sides in the 80s? They didn't win because they had four quicks. They won because they had four good bowlers (usually two of whom were either very good or great) who happened to be quick. Too often back then I saw our team try to replicate the Windies recipe for success and pick four quicks, but surprisingly, a 22 year old McDermott who couldn't hit the pitch; a Merv Hughes at that time averaging 150 in tests; Chris Matthews and Mike Whitney tended not to cut it.

It's about the quality, not the pace. Sure pace helps, but fmd if Copeland or anyone else bowls 125-135 from a decent height, hits the towel and moves it either through the air or off the deck, they will succeed. End of.

Meanwhile, the bottom feeder approaches a ton. Further proof of our demise as a cricketing nation.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Bell carrying on were he left off, had a couple drop short of fielders and Ferguson fluffed one, but otherwise there have been some glorious shots.

Sylvester

State Captain
From what people have said when Copeland was playing for NSW for a televised game, he was around the 130s so either he was down or pace of the foxsports speed gun are dodgy.

Burgey

:huh: Copeland swings it mate
When you can move the ball both ways you don't necessarily need pace
Are we using two white balls from each end for this game as well....!?
He is a seam bowler mate, to be more precise he's a poor man's Stuart Clark...
He definitely swings it as well...
He is more of a swing bowler, but will get seam movement on helpful tracks.
Why are we arguing over this?

Just watch the **** bowl and see if he swings the ****ing thing.

Burgey

I'm trying to think of the thing about this season that has ****ted me the most. It's a toss up right now between about 30 different things, but one of them really is Ian Bell scoring runs against Australia.

It's just disgusting. Makes me feel dirty. "Ooooh, doesn't he hit a lovely cover drive? Oooooh, isn't he divine off his pads?" FMD, put three balls up his nose or pitch a leg break to him and he ****s himself. Dire crap from Australia all summer long.

Just about had it.

Edit: yeah, yeah. "New and improved". Bollocks. Just we're new and rubbish.

Ruckus

International Captain
From what people have said when Copeland was playing for NSW for a televised game, he was around the 130s so either he was down or pace of the foxsports speed gun are dodgy.
He just must be down, because Christian was consistently getting in the mid 130's.