• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imran Tanvir now eligible for South Africa

Mike5181

International Captain
Imran Tahir now eligible for South Africa

South Africa news: Imran Tahir eligible to play for South Africa | South Africa Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Imran Tahir, the Nashua Dolphins legspinner of Pakistani origin, has been granted South African citizenship by naturalisation and is now eligible to play for the country. Tahir has also fulfilled the ICC's regulations for representing his new country, having not played for the country of his birth at any level for more than 4 years.

Tahir, 31, has been one of South Africa's most prolific domestic bowlers in recent times, with 535 first-class wickets at 25.09 from 127 matches. He was picked in the South Africa Test squad to play England in January 2010, but was left out at the last moment owing to issues over his residency paperwork. Those problems have been resolved now.

"Imran has made South Africa his home and has been married for some time to a South African," Gerald Majola, CEO of Cricket South Africa said. "He has been a leading wicket-taker in the top South African domestic competitions for the past few seasons and is highly respected by both his colleagues and his opponents. He certainly becomes a contender for selection to the Proteas squad now that he has met all the government, ICC and CSA regulations regarding his new nationality."

Tahir, however, won't be considered for the Cape Town Test against India that begins on January 2. "That will not be fair on anyone since the squad has prepared, but he will be considered for the one-dayers," CSA's convenor of selectors Andrew Hudson told ESPNcricinfo.

Is this the previously missing component South Africa needs to become a truly great side?

Share your thoughts on the impact you think Tahir will make on the international stage and the composition of the South African side with his inclusion.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd put him in over Harris without too much thought. Harris has never looked a bowler to delight the purists with his round arm action and negligible side spin but his results were better than watching him would suggest they should be. Now his returns are more of a match for his aesthetic appearance (test average now 37+ and climbing) and with age also if not against him then not on his side either I think the Pakistan-born leggie deserves a crack at it. Has always impressed me in our domestic game, has a very well disguised googly that seems to account for a fair few of his scalps.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'd put him in over Harris without too much thought. Harris has never looked a bowler to delight the purists with his round arm action and negligible side spin but his results were better than watching him would suggest they should be. Now his returns are more of a match for his aesthetic appearance (test average now 37+ and climbing) and with age also if not against him then not on his side either I think the Pakistan-born leggie deserves a crack at it. Has always impressed me in our domestic game, has a very well disguised googly that seems to account for a fair few of his scalps.
interesting observation. ALthough it gives me nightmares to think how deadly SA can be if they have a top quality leg spinner in their bowling arsenal.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes Tahir is a much more exciting and penetrative option than Paul Harris. The possibility of Tahir winning you a Test match is indeed much higher than Harris running through a side, and so in the long run Tahir seems the automatic selection. However, Harris is a much improved bowler, we know he doesn't get big rip nor does he really make the most of his tall frame with such a low release, but he has become very economical and allows Smith a modicum of control in the field.

He probably performs a similar role to what Ashley Giles did for England a few years back, he dries up the runs and allows rest periods for Steyn and Morkel especially, and picks up the odd important wicket.

Tahir will give Smith an attacking spin option, and will strengthen the bowling attack imo.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
31 seems old but for a spinner I guess he probably still has atleast a good 5-6 years to offer if he settles into international cricket quickly. Anyone but Harris please. :laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
31 seems old but for a spinner I guess he probably still has atleast a good 5-6 years to offer if he settles into international cricket quickly. Anyone but Harris please. :laugh:
Yes at 31 and with the skills and experience he has, you don't expect him to take too long to become accustomed to the demands and requirements of Test cricket. He is younger than Harris, so on the proviso he does fit into Test cricket with near immediate impact, he should still have a good few years left in him at the highest standard. Expect SA to get him into the Test squad as soon as possible after this Test.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well Tanvir might be a better 3rd seamer than Tsotsobe but I can't see him improving them that much.

If they managed to find a different spinner that would be something though.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Tanvir/Tahir?

Tahir would fill one of the gaps that the South African team has at the moment - a decent spinner. He could be very useful for them over the next few years

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Tanvir might be a better 3rd seamer than Tsotsobe but I can't see him improving them that much.

If they managed to find a different spinner that would be something though.
:laugh:

But yeah, Tahir will be a great addition to their side.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Exciting times. Harris does all the right things despite his obvious limitations. And the brass think extremely highly of his influence on and off the field. But a person of the ilk of Tahir cannot really be ignored can he ? I THINK I seen him play before, he plays in England in the offseason correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't give it a BIG rip but is accurate.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris is generally a very useful and effective cog in the South African attack and hasn't done an awful lot wrong but Tahir's better by a healthy enough margin that he should probably play anyway.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
:confused:

I've been advocating Botha to replace Harris for ages, just like you. I thought Harris bowled well in the first Test of the current series and I said so, but that doesn't mean I think he's gun.
Though you'd defend him as usual given all this posts criticizing him :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Though you'd defend him as usual given all this posts criticizing him :p
Ahh, so you thought it'd be typical for me to defend an over-criticised player on CricketWeb, rather than you thinking it'd be typical of me to rate Paul Harris? That's fair enough I guess, but I'm not going to do either here because I'd get Tahir in ASAP. :p

Shri

Mr. Glass
So what happens to the quota system now? Will Tahir be considered as a "colored" cricketer and will the selectors be able to select Ryan McLaren or Rusty Theron instead of Tsotsobe if they play Tahir?

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest, without Specific research, that the quota system only applies to players who are "Cape Coloured" or Negros.

So to answer your question, no

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah, Gibbs is referred to as a colored cricketer iirc. Maybe someone from SA could shed some light on this.