• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Mason

What do you think of him?

• Total voters

Flem274*

123/5
Pants are off. Mason WAG.

IMO, he suffered from being seen as a boring line and length bowler (which he wasn't just, had seam, bounce and accuracy in the mid to high 130s and sometimes swung it) when we had some decent bowlers in the test side and when we didn't, there were some left field selections in place of the likes of Mason and O'Brien (like the young Ian Butler).

I think he should have played more tests, but by the time O'Brien blew the "NZ long term journeymen with awesome records are rubbish" theory out of the water, Mason was on the decline.

Didn't have the greatest test debut either, and was given the chop pretty quickly.

The man is a champion domestically, and stands alongside Mathew Sinclair as an iconic player for Central Districts in the modern era.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
From a guy with an almost legendary disdain of introspection and team meetings, an admission of nervousness comes as a shock.

"Your preparation's important, that's what I believe in. But talking is over-rated. I've never been a big believer in it."

"I definitely like leading by example for these young guys," Mason said. "I think if you can get out there and give it heaps, it's a good way of helping guys learn and it also gives them something to look up to. We've got Bondy at the moment, so if they want to talk to me I just send them to him.

"All the kids that have come through are great little guys and I just try to pat them on the back when they've done well and give them confidence."
:laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mason since O'Brien's retirement would still have potentially been our top Test wicket taker if he played.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Thought he was unlucky to have missed out to O'Brien a couple of seasons back. O'Brien however took his opportunity when given a second chance and never looked back.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mason can get in line behind Adams in the 'NZ bowlers with ridiculous First Class records highly unlucky not to have played more Tests' stakes but yes, worse bowlers than Mason played more Tests for NZ than him during his prime. That he's been able to keep gunning it for CD instead has been no skin off my nose though. :ph34r:

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bumping this thread to get the Mase some votes for most favourite cricketer. Top post by Flem in this thread.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The Central Stags can stand and salute stalwart Michael Mason, who signed off his career in fairytale fashion when he helped win a gripping Ford Trophy one-day final with one ball to spare today.

Mason, a 37-year-old better known for his niggardly seam bowling, covered himself in glory by clouting a career high 41 not out off 19 balls as the Stags chased down the Auckland Aces’ challenging 282 for eight at New Plymouth.

Mason, who’d early picked up three wickets, clubbed 20 runs off the 49th over from left-arm fast bowler Mitchell McClenaghan to leave the hosts requiring only six off the final over from Chris Martin at Pukekura Park.

He and Martin Kain, who ended up unbeaten on 23 off 15, duly completed their work to cap an outstanding chase from the Stags after their cause looked doomed at 226 for eight in the 46th over.

But Mason and Kain stepped into the breach, putting on 60 for the ninth wicket in a 27-ball partnership which hits its straps in the penultimate over when Mason twice hit McClenaghan over the ropes.
New Zealand Cricket - Match Report

Perfect finish to his List A career. Will he play any of the final FC games or was this his last game ever?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Can the mods please delete Flem's post from this thread which I now have reason to believe was disingenuous.:ph34r:

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
And so can your VM.
What was wrong with my VM it was an olive branch - I sensed you were taking this jab at you seriously instead of as the lark that it was. If PEWS is going to cop stick for his throwing stuff thread then you were always going to hear something about dissing Michael Mason. All that said it wasn't me who bumped your 16 year old thread btw if you read it again.

Flem274*

123/5
I was joking Hurricane...

And don't you be questioning my devotion to the Mug again or I'll force a Devcich avatar on you.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I would give a similar example here. Alex Wharf, was a very tidy bowler ( he could even bat a bit). Looked like the perfect 3rd seamer for the English side. But he was dropped for some reason and never returned. He could have been a really good ODI player, but just vanished from the scene.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would give a similar example here. Alex Wharf, was a very tidy bowler ( he could even bat a bit). Looked like the perfect 3rd seamer for the English side. But he was dropped for some reason and never returned. He could have been a really good ODI player, but just vanished from the scene.
Perhaps he was abducted.