Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: What do you think of him?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should have played for NZ more

10 71.43%
  • Accuracy could have been better

3 21.43%
  • Very intelligent bowler

5 35.71%
  • Meh - average domestic bowler

5 35.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Michael Mason

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash

Michael Mason

Michael Mason, still bowling them over | Stuff.co.nz

"Your preparation's important, that's what I believe in. But talking is over-rated. I've never been a big believer in it."
    Could be his last season although Adam Milne is trying to talk him into staying on another year.

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Pants are off. Mason WAG.

IMO, he suffered from being seen as a boring line and length bowler (which he wasn't just, had seam, bounce and accuracy in the mid to high 130s and sometimes swung it) when we had some decent bowlers in the test side and when we didn't, there were some left field selections in place of the likes of Mason and O'Brien (like the young Ian Butler).

I think he should have played more tests, but by the time O'Brien blew the "NZ long term journeymen with awesome records are rubbish" theory out of the water, Mason was on the decline.

Didn't have the greatest test debut either, and was given the chop pretty quickly.

The man is a champion domestically, and stands alongside Mathew Sinclair as an iconic player for Central Districts in the modern era.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 31-12-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

From a guy with an almost legendary disdain of introspection and team meetings, an admission of nervousness comes as a shock.

"Your preparation's important, that's what I believe in. But talking is over-rated. I've never been a big believer in it."

"I definitely like leading by example for these young guys," Mason said. "I think if you can get out there and give it heaps, it's a good way of helping guys learn and it also gives them something to look up to. We've got Bondy at the moment, so if they want to talk to me I just send them to him.

"All the kids that have come through are great little guys and I just try to pat them on the back when they've done well and give them confidence."

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Mason since O'Brien's retirement would still have potentially been our top Test wicket taker if he played.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Mason's FC bowling average of 24.6 in 83 games certainly shows his class.

U19 Debutant
    Thought he was unlucky to have missed out to O'Brien a couple of seasons back. O'Brien however took his opportunity when given a second chance and never looked back.

Mason can get in line behind Adams in the 'NZ bowlers with ridiculous First Class records highly unlucky not to have played more Tests' stakes but yes, worse bowlers than Mason played more Tests for NZ than him during his prime. That he's been able to keep gunning it for CD instead has been no skin off my nose though.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 01-01-2011 at 02:59 AM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Bumping this thread to get the Mase some votes for most favourite cricketer. Top post by Flem in this thread.

The Central Stags can stand and salute stalwart Michael Mason, who signed off his career in fairytale fashion when he helped win a gripping Ford Trophy one-day final with one ball to spare today.

Mason, a 37-year-old better known for his niggardly seam bowling, covered himself in glory by clouting a career high 41 not out off 19 balls as the Stags chased down the Auckland Aces’ challenging 282 for eight at New Plymouth.

Mason, who’d early picked up three wickets, clubbed 20 runs off the 49th over from left-arm fast bowler Mitchell McClenaghan to leave the hosts requiring only six off the final over from Chris Martin at Pukekura Park.

He and Martin Kain, who ended up unbeaten on 23 off 15, duly completed their work to cap an outstanding chase from the Stags after their cause looked doomed at 226 for eight in the 46th over.

But Mason and Kain stepped into the breach, putting on 60 for the ninth wicket in a 27-ball partnership which hits its straps in the penultimate over when Mason twice hit McClenaghan over the ropes.
    New Zealand Cricket - Match Report

Perfect finish to his List A career. Will he play any of the final FC games or was this his last game ever?

Can the mods please delete Flem's post from this thread which I now have reason to believe was disingenuous.
    Last edited by Hurricane; 25-06-2014 at 10:58 PM.

GAGFC

And so can your VM.

And so can your VM.
    What was wrong with my VM it was an olive branch - I sensed you were taking this jab at you seriously instead of as the lark that it was. If PEWS is going to cop stick for his throwing stuff thread then you were always going to hear something about dissing Michael Mason. All that said it wasn't me who bumped your 16 year old thread btw if you read it again.

I was joking Hurricane...

And don't you be questioning my devotion to the Mug again or I'll force a Devcich avatar on you.

I was joking Hurricane...

And don't you be questioning my devotion to the Mug again or I'll force a Devcich avatar on you.
    haha

I would give a similar example here. Alex Wharf, was a very tidy bowler ( he could even bat a bit). Looked like the perfect 3rd seamer for the English side. But he was dropped for some reason and never returned. He could have been a really good ODI player, but just vanished from the scene.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information