• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting scorecard i found

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rain forced Steve Waugh's hand, and he was always looking for a win, wasn't happy to let the game peter out.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
All credit to both captains for setting the match up, lost heaps of play due to rain and no result was likely, but Fleming declared and Waugh declared and a match was set up. I thought it was risky for Australia but Waugh always played for a win, and risked a loss for the opportunity for a win. GREAT cricket to watch. So many boring draws these days especially overseas, but no reason why more captains cant take the pitch out of the equation and be a bit inventive.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Australia lost this match would it have been the worst declaration ever.

1st Test: Australia v New Zealand at Brisbane, Nov 8-12, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
And if they had won it would've been the best declaration of all time?

That's the way Australian captains have historically played the game. Be aggressive and back their players to do the job.

With Australia's bowling attack they had then it's fair enough Waugh backed them.

I remember that series really well actually.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm a strong believer in never risking a loss for a win in the first test, particularly where the risk of the loss is very great...

... but if you have McGrath, Gillespie and Warne... have a crack!

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I actually think the 2000 test series Australia played in NZ was one of the very best of the decade. Australia was cornered several times by a rampant NZ, but each time amazingly turned the matches around, twice due to Gilchrist, who was playing his first away series. The 3rd test was surely NZ's ti take, they had us on the mat at 6/26 or something, but we came back and won. I also recall Langer smashing Vettori out of the attack with some massive hitting in the first test, which turned out to be a very good match for Vettori. Warne broke the aussie wicket record in that 1st test too i think.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I actually think the 2000 test series Australia played in NZ was one of the very best of the decade. Australia was cornered several times by a rampant NZ, but each time amazingly turned the matches around, twice due to Gilchrist, who was playing his first away series. The 3rd test was surely NZ's ti take, they had us on the mat at 6/26 or something, but we came back and won. I also recall Langer smashing Vettori out of the attack with some massive hitting in the first test, which turned out to be a very good match for Vettori. Warne broke the aussie wicket record in that 1st test too i think.
Agreed, and I hope you can get some match highlights together for us one day.:)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And by won you mean by drawing the match you won in the not being humiliated by New Zealand stakes ;)

Edit: whoops, didn't realise you were talking about the series in NZ and not the other way around. Big fail for me there!

Last edited: