• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think a better inverse would have been why Pakistan can't produce great batsmen like India especially in the last 10 years or so??? Indian batsmen >> Pak batsman.

The difference between Pak and Indian spinners is not that great IMO.
one could easily see its the coaching at the grassroot level young India batsman are very still at the crease and play every thing with a straight face on the other hand all young Pakistani batsman look to hang back and deliver without the feetmovement and the bat usually comes down from an angle its shocking how the batting coaching standards have gone in Pakistan.

smash84

The Tiger King
one could easily see its the coaching at the grassroot level young India batsman are very still at the crease and play every thing with a straight face on the other hand all young Pakistani batsman look to hang back and deliver without the feetmovement and the bat usually comes down from an angle its shocking how the batting coaching standards have gone in Pakistan.
Yeah man we didn't have such a pathetic batting line-up until the mid-90s

Blaze 18

Banned
Well, if the Indians in the southern part are genetically similar to Sri Lankans, and the Indians in the northern part are genetically similar to Pakistanis, then we should be having a healthy mix of Shoaib Akhtars and Lasith Malingas. The fact that we do not, makes it clear that it has nothing to do with genetics.

Eating meat has nothing to do with it either - only every third Indian is a vegetarian (and even if we are including red meat - something that a lot of Hindus tend to avoid - the number of Muslims in India is more or less the same as the number of Muslims in Pakistan).

Faisal's post nails it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, if the Indians in the southern part are genetically similar to Sri Lankans, and the Indians in the northern part are genetically similar to Pakistanis, then we should be having a healthy mix of Shoaib Akhtars and Lasith Malingas. The fact that we do not, makes it clear that it has nothing to do with genetics.

Eating meat has nothing to do with it either - only every third Indian is a vegetarian (and even if we are including red meat - something that a lot of Hindus tend to avoid - the number of Muslims in India is more or less the same as the number of Muslims in Pakistan).

Faisal's post nails it.
That line made me chuckle :p

Blaze 18

Banned
As for Mohammad Asif/Mohammad Aamer vs Zaheer Khan - I would rate both Pakistanis higher. Aamer is only nineteen and he can already move the ball both ways - at furious pace. Zaheer only started getting the ball to move into right-hand batsmen post 2007.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
India produces great fast bowlers but they break them. I remember Ishant Sharma coming into the Indian side bowling at 150 km/h and moving the ball around. Now he can barely hit the mid 130s. What happened?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Faisal's post nails it.
Malinga is a special case IMO. Let's say a Vaas or a Ratnayake form SL or a Sreesanth, Kapil Zaheer from IND are the representative fast bowlers of the region. Only fast medium with few seasons of lively pace. I don't think our people are built to bowl quick other than that odd person (like Fernando who is massive according to proportions of the region).

May be our fast bowlers lack that attitude for fast bowling, like Pakistanis. How many times you see Malinga sent a 90mph bouncer and smile with the batsman rather than staring? Compare that to Gul sending a 135k bouncer and asking batsman whether he had seen that.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
India produces great fast bowlers but they break them. I remember Ishant Sharma coming into the Indian side bowling at 150 km/h and moving the ball around. Now he can barely hit the mid 130s. What happened?
It probably means he wasn't great.

smash84

The Tiger King
May be our fast bowlers lack that attitude for fast bowling, like Pakistanis. How many times you see Malinga sent a 90mph bouncer and smile with the batsman rather than staring?
Does this mean that Malinga does not have as aggressive an attitude as Shoaib Akhtar, or the 2 Ws???

Debris

International 12th Man
It probably means he wasn't great.
Or the management team in India is incompetent. This has nothing to do with whether he is a great bowler or not. He obviously has the potential to bowl quick, you don't lose that unless you have some serious injuries. Some serious questions need to be put to the fast bowling coaches.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Does this mean that Malinga does not have as aggressive an attitude as Shoaib Akhtar, or the 2 Ws???
He may have, and his lines and lengths are aggressive, but lacks body language. If he had that attitude would have averaging few runs less per wicket for sure. Only exception is Prasad. Who always has a word with batsmen or lets know whose the boss. But he had been erratic despite having bit of pace.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Malinga is just genuinely a good bloke. I really don't think it makes that much of a difference at all, he still intimidates the batsman regardless of his body language.

TumTum

Banned
Malinga looks like a bowler best suited on slow pitches, especially with those swinging yorkers. He doesn't use the helpful conditions that are on offer on lively pitches.

smash84

The Tiger King
He may have, and his lines and lengths are aggressive, but lacks body language. If he had that attitude would have averaging few runs less per wicket for sure. Only exception is Prasad. Who always has a word with batsmen or lets know whose the boss. But he had been erratic despite having bit of pace.
I am not too sure I get you properly. You don't need to look menacing all the time in order to show your aggressive attitude. Wasim Akram was not too much into the batsman's face and when he was bowling everybody did know as to who was the boss and neither was Waqar Younis. Similarly Steyn isn't too theatrical either. I guess you feel that it is important for the bowler to be in the batsman's face. Then maybe you feel that Sreesanth has the right attitude????

shankar

International Debutant
What type of ball do they use in domestic cricket in Pakistan, presently and historically? If it's a type that say, doesnt retain a prominent seam and stops swinging very early. Then perhaps the 70 mph trundlers of the variety who abound in Indian domestic cricket are not useful. So consequently perhaps there is an incentive for out-and-out quick bowlers?

Blaze 18

Banned
I am not too sure I get you properly. You don't need to look menacing all the time in order to show your aggressive attitude. Wasim Akram was not too much into the batsman's face and when he was bowling everybody did know as to who was the boss and neither was Waqar Younis. Similarly Steyn isn't too theatrical either. I guess you feel that it is important for the bowler to be in the batsman's face. Then maybe you feel that Sreesanth has the right attitude????
Nah, he does have a go at the batsman every now and again.

smash84

The Tiger King
What type of ball do they use in domestic cricket in Pakistan, presently and historically? If it's a type that say, doesnt retain a prominent seam and stops swinging very early. Then perhaps the 70 mph trundlers of the variety who abound in Indian domestic cricket are not useful. So consequently perhaps there is an incentive for out-and-out quick bowlers?
In domestic cricket currently they use the Duke ball that is used in England. In Australia (and maybe in India too they use the Kookaburra balls). The Duke balls are apparently not as tough as the Kookaburras and do tend to lose the prominent seam more quickly. Historically I am not sure which balls were used.

In street cricket in Pakistan the tennis ball is used which is completely taped with electircal tape.

thierry henry

International Coach
I think NZ might be focusing more on bowlers who can generate bounce than raw pace?? Shane Bond was genuinely quick. How tall was he???? He looked shorter than the usual NZ pacer.
Bond was about 6'2" which would make him taller than all of the Pakistani quicks including Umar Gul imo

He actually exemplifies my point- for an NZ quick he was small, for a Pakistani quick he would've been huge (their tallest builder and quite well built as well). The Pakistani blokes are just that much smaller, and yet they bowl faster.

smash84

The Tiger King
Bond was about 6'2" which would make him taller than all of the Pakistani quicks including Umar Gul imo

He actually exemplifies my point- for an NZ quick he was small, for a Pakistani quick he would've been huge (their tallest builder and quite well built as well). The Pakistani blokes are just that much smaller, and yet they bowl faster.
The tallest among the great Pak bowlers was Wasim who was 6ft 3in. Imran Khan was 6ft1in. Shoaib and Waqar around 5ft 11in.

smash84

The Tiger King

Shane Bond was really 6ft 2in??? He looked short in the NZ team. Yeah he would have been tall by Pak standards