• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World XI 2001-2010

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This one would be mine:

Ricky Ponting
Virender Sehwag
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara
Adam Gilchrist+*
Shane Warne
Dale Steyn
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Reserves: Matthew Hayden, Mohammad Yousuf, Mark Boucher, Shane Bond, Shaun Pollock.

Thought of taking Hayden to partner Sehwag at the top. But all of Ponting, Lara, Tendulkar, Kallis and Sangakkara have phenomenal records in this time frame, so couldn't drop one.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Virender Sehwag
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne *
Dale Steyn
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharan

Sangakkara unlucky to miss out, but I'm not opening with a middle order batsman, and Kallis offers much more. Pretty easy team to pick for me.

ODi's:

Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Michael Hussey
MS Dhoni +
Andrew Flintoff
Brett Lee
Shane Bond
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

angad

U19 12th Man
Tests -

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting *
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Jacques Kallis
6. VVS Laxman
7. Adam Gilchrist +
8. Shane Warne
9. Dale Steyn
10. M Muralitharan
11. Glenn McGrath

-------------------------

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, how are we doing this? Do I pick an XI based on the best players within the period? Or do I need players who have played the whole time? And do I pick peaks, or overall form? Side can change dramatically based on these.

Going to set a benchmark that they need to have been playing for at least half of the period.

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting*
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist+
Warne
Steyn
Muralitharan
McGrath

Two spinners not normally needed but to invert the usual CW theory, if they are your best bowlers then pick them. Got Kallis there to ensure there is plenty of seam cover and tbh, after McGrath and Steyn's opening spells I'm pretty happy having spinners at first and second change.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's hard to argue with any of these, the only real discussion being batsman vs all-rounder or spinner vs seamer, etc.

Pollock
Flintoff
Vaas
Lee
Zaheer
Steyn
Bond
Shoaib
Ntini
Ambrose
McGrath

Hey, it's the side I'd rather go watch play. :happy:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Picking it on actual results, rather than the players reputations...

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Dravid
Sangakarra
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn (yes I know he only played good for 4 years, but I don't give a flying ****)
Murali
McGrath

Zinzan

Agree wholeheartedly, when picking the team of the decade (2000s), why bother looking at how players actually performed, let just pick our favorite players :laugh:

If people were honest with themselves in looking at tests in the 2000s, the likes of Tendulkar amongst a few others shouldn't be included.

Burgey

Sehwag
Hayden
Ponting
Dravid
Sangakarra
Kallis
Gilchrist
Warne
Steyn (yes I know he only played good for 4 years, but I don't give a flying ****)
Murali
McGrath
Two front line quicks backed up by an all rounder whose interest in bowling is directly proportional to how green the deck is isn't the approach I'd take, but your team at least saves the inevitable Warne-Murali argument :)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
To watch Warne and Murali operating in tandem is my biggest fantasy of my cricket watching years!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm assuming by 2001-2010, he's effectively meaning test team of the decade (2000s) otherwise it would seem kind of strange & selective if he was including the year 2010
As discussed in a different thread, I believe a decade starts from 2001, and goes till 2010 (nnot 2000-2009), for the simple reason that we didn't start counting from year 0.

If 2000-2009 is a decade, then which one was the first decade? 0000-0009? Sounds so nosense to me.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. Tendulkar over Dravid is just so wrong on so many levels though.
Tendulkar averages more than Dravid in this period. Both had an equally pathetic off-form. It is very close actually between the two of them (slightly tilted towards Tendulkar) if reputation isn't considered.