• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Dissector

International Debutant
This team are the Golden Generation.
I am sure England's golden generation will dominate world cricket just like their golden generation dominated world football.:dry:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What I love about this England team is that there are no weak-links. They may not have the star quality of some of the other teams in world cricket, but I've always believed in all team sports that the more you move up the levels, the more it becomes about eliminating (or at least reducing the impact of) weak players and the less it becomes about having star players.

Now that Tremlett's fit and actually being selected, the only thing that could be a termed as a weakness or a worry in England's playing roster is Paul Collingwood's batting form. And given his proven ability in a crisis, his catching and even his occasional bowling, he's contributing quite a bit for the worst player in the team, even if he's not in great batting form. That they don't have a proper fifth bowler is something you could point out but if Anderson can maintain his improved accuracy and consistency and Tremlett can stay fit, they won't need one.

India and South Africa both have real problems with their bowling depth and number six batsman, and South Africa have concerns over Petersen and even Boucher as well. Every other team in world cricket has several points of weakness but England have all but eliminated it which is why I have such confidence in them as a team going forward, even if they don't have a Steyn, a Kallis or a Tendulkar.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Do cringe when I read stuff like this. Wasn't so very long ago Dazzler was forceasting 4-0 in the Ashes and look what happened at the WACA.

I'd say we start as marginal favourites in home conditions, but in Zaheer India have a bowler who could've been genetically engineered to exploit English conditions and (hey) their batting's ok too.

The potential for egg on face is pretty sizeable IMHO.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do cringe when I read stuff like this. Wasn't so very long ago Dazzler was forceasting 4-0 in the Ashes and look what happened at the WACA.

I'd say we start as marginal favourites in home conditions, but in Zaheer India have a bowler who could've been genetically engineered to exploit English conditions and (hey) their batting's ok too.

The potential for egg on face is pretty sizeable IMHO.
This. Plus the added observation that Gough is rapidly becoming a substantial embarassment to English cricket. He really is a tool of the first order.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I love about this England team is that there are no weak-links. They may not have the star quality of some of the other teams in world cricket, but I've always believed in all team sports that the more you move up the levels, the more it becomes about eliminating (or at least reducing the impact of) weak players and less it's about having stars.

Now that Tremlett's fit and actually being selected, the only thing that could be a termed as a weakness or a worry in England's playing roster is Paul Collingwood's batting form. And given his proven ability in a crisis, his catching and even his occasional bowling, he's contributing quite a bit for the worst player in the team, even if he's not in great batting form. That they don't have a proper fifth bowler is something you could point out but if Anderson can maintain his improved accuracy and consistency and Tremlett can stay fit, they won't need one.

India and South Africa both have real problems with their bowling depth and number six, and South Africa have concerns over Petersen and even Boucher as well. Every other team in world cricket has several points of weakness but England have all but eliminated it which is why I have such confidence in them as a team going forward, even if they don't have a Steyn, a Kallis or a Tendulkar.
That is a very good summary of how England have performed under Strauss. Would need to see more of Tremlett/Bresnan/Finn to see whether they can keep up their recent form though, and the same applies to Bell to a lesser extent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That is a very good summary of how England have performed under Strauss. Would need to see more of Tremlett/Bresnan/Finn to see whether they can keep up their recent form though, and the same applies to Bell to a lesser extent.
Yeah I'm probably a bit biased when it comes to Bell and Tremlett as they're both players I've always had a lot of faith in, particularly Tremlett. There's a chance I'm jumping the gun a bit with their recent form but I'm trying to make a point of actual stating my opinion more often instead of just being a source of statistics and facts. Going into the Ashes I still had big concerns over Trott as a #3 batsman, particularly away from home (and he's given me the bird and then some on that count), Cook in general (see Trott) and Finn (replaced by someone I've long though was gun).

They have ten players I regard as very good and Collingwood who is almost the perfect role player in such a team. If he was in better batting form closer to the mean of his career it'd be perfect. I'd actually be tempted to call them the best side in the world on paper (not results yet obviously) and going forward they're the team I have the most confidence in at the moment. Whether or not they can beat India every day of the week is another matter though - I'd expect them to win at home and lose away, so every day of a June week, maybe.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
England are a good team, but this is a bit too much. I dont think beating India at home will be easy for anyone regardless of how good a team you are. Sure they beat the Aussies but this is probably one of the weakest Aussie teams for quite a while now so it shouldn't get to their heads.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
Plus the added observation that Gough is rapidly becoming a substantial embarassment to English cricket. He really is a tool of the first order.
And that's an understatement. Complete prat, especially since he sat on an Ashes shortlist panel for Sky just before the Ashes. Cringeworthy doesn't cover half of it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, that Sky feature in the summer which had Gough, Pringle, Stewart and Atherton sitting around a table discussing the ODI team for the World Cup was pure comedy.

Goughy was the worst of the lot. IIRC he wanted to drop Strauss from the squad (who went on to score a big 100 on the same day, I think); drop Trott from the squad too (who averages 48) and open with Prior.

Shocking punditry.

Redbacks

International Captain
I am sure England's golden generation will dominate world cricket just like their golden generation dominated world football.:dry:
Lol, nothing like a FIFA wc to show that hype is no match for decades of tactical and technical neglect.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A team is only as strong as its weakest link.

Look at the performances of the bowling attacks all series. Siddle carried the Aussie attack at Brisbane, they were all dire at Adelaide, Johnson and Harris wrecked us at Perth, and only Siddle again stood up at Melbourne. Australia's bowling in virtually every innings has relied on one man being the main wrecking ball - Siddle twice, Johnson and Harris have all claimed 6-for in the series.

Whereas with the exception of the first innings of Brisbane, England have consistently dismissed Australia cheaply without any of their bowlers having a really outstanding series. It's been the theme all tour from the first tour match - all of the bowlers are chipping in to contribute without relying on any one of them pulling a magic spell out of their arse - only Finn, Swann and Tremlett have taken a Michelle.

As PEWS said, the only weak link in the side is Collingwood's batting, and even then, what Collingwood brings in the field to a degree compensates for his batting failures. Compare England to India - there's question marks over both openers in conditions where the ball does a bit, Dravid may or may not be over the hill, Ganguly hasn't been replaced adequately yet at 6, and their bowling attack bar Zaheer is a complete joke.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What I love about this England team is that there are no weak-links. They may not have the star quality of some of the other teams in world cricket, but I've always believed in all team sports that the more you move up the levels, the more it becomes about eliminating (or at least reducing the impact of) weak players and the less it becomes about having star players.

India and South Africa both have real problems with their bowling depth and number six batsman, and South Africa have concerns over Petersen and even Boucher as well. Every other team in world cricket has several points of weakness but England have all but eliminated it which is why I have such confidence in them as a team going forward, even if they don't have a Steyn, a Kallis or a Tendulkar.
I'd still take both the Indian and SA batting over English. And I'd take the SA fast bowling over the England bowling. England definitely have the better overall attack compared to India, but India would win at home, I have no doubt. And Zaheer can probably extract enough from the pitch to do at least as well as any England pace bowler attack (as has been said, he's pretty much genetically engineered to play in England) to make India at least competitive in England.

I personally don't see it. Taking nothing away from the poms though, they are very very good and it would not be a shock to see them beat anybody.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Compare England to India - there's question marks over both openers in conditions where the ball does a bit,
Put me at six, and I'd still take the Indian batting lineup over the English.

And lol@balldoingabit. This is not Boycott we're talking about - most batting lineups fold when there's proper swing. I'd back Sehwag and Gambhir to do as well as Cook and Strauss in England - in fact, I'd be willing to make a bet on it when the series rolls around. There are plenty of flat pitches in England too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not that I'm saying that England don't have less holes than India. I agree with that. They are good in every department, but not the best in any.