• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you're getting that from my posts, you're more special than I first though.

Happy New Year ****.
lol... then what are you arguing about? In England? I am going by the assumption Zak will be available in which case I think it will be close even in England.. If he is not, England have an edge...

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Take Steyn and Morkel away from South Africa, Zaheer and Harbhijan and Anderson and Swann away from their respective attacks and replace them with hacks. Who has the better attack? England, without a shadow of a doubt.
I refer you to this post I made earlier on this issue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Look, you're entitled to whatever opinions you like and I'm entitled to call them bull****.
One match proves nothing, and although 3 years is a nice period from a statistical point of view for the point you're trying to make, there's no way on this Earth that Broad in 2008 is the same Broad now. As I said, his coming of age series was the WI Away in 2009 and since this period he's improved his performances, for doing so he deserves some credit and attention should be drawn to it. If you can say that Ishant now is a massively improved bowler from his debut.. then go about showing so.

Zaheer and Anderson is so close is basically negligible. I agree with our seamers being better than yours and I think the Swann vs Indian batsmen battle is overstated. You didn't exactly tear him apart on his debut series when he was a much inferior bowler to the one he is nowadays. I don't see how it's at all logical to assume he'd do worse now than he did then. I'd say the opposite for Harbhajan, our batting now is better than it was then and Bhaji certainly hasn't improved in that time period.

And yeah, whatever the case Australia's bowlers are probably better than yours. So if flat tracks turn up look forward to 517/1 and the likes of it.
180 and 120 ao is what you mean "likes of it"? :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pakistan test should be taken with a grain of salt imo. After the match-fixing allegations spread Pakistan didn't even try.

Good point about the other 2, though.
The best point is that he is completely missing the point...

Leader of the attacking playing and not doing well IS NOT THE SAME as the leader of the attack not playing at all...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well if it was so obvious why did you post something that was entirely different and categorically wrong?

I wasn't ignoring those decisions, I said that two wrongs don't make a right and was talking from a comparative viewpoint of SA vs Eng and Aus vs India once both sides were 9 down.
South Africa couldn't get us out, Australia did but were denied the wicket.
Whether either side deserved to be in that situation wasn't the thing being discussed.
But why is it not necessary to be discussed? AFAIC, you need to be 9 down to HAVE the chance of being bowled out when all your players are fit to bat...

Is it not necessary to be discussed as you would have been proved wrong? :detective:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well you obviously need it explaining else you wouldn't have said it. Basically admitting what you said was wrong :)

Not quite sure how you can say they "legitimately drew". Umpiring decisions don't even out or just go away. Ishant could've got out next ball anyway, there's no knowing.
jeez.. and you call others' posts stupid???????

Spending time in the mirror than reading posts if everything appears to be stupid to you these days.. :laugh:

And Ishant was not likely to be dismissed "Mr.stats is all"... He was not for about 3 hours till then, why the hell is he suddenly liable to get out next ball???????

But wait, I know the answer.. it suits your non-existent point.. Kudos.. 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Do you really think so? The West Indies team of the 80s wasn't defined by the fact that Gus Logie averaged mid-30s in Tests and FC cricket. Albeit that he was maybe the best short-leg fielder that ever drew breath.
You must have seen some of Solkar... You think Logie was better than Solkar as a close in catcher?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We don't know what could've happened if Ishant had been given not out though, he could've hit a 6 off every ball following it. It could've altered the balance in an alternate universe resulting in a meteorite smashing the ground into a million pieces. We just don't know.

However, we do know if that LBW had been correctly given, Australia would've won. I'm not giving it more importance per se, I've admitted it's over simplified. It doesn't make it wrong though.
Hmmm 3 bad decisions in close succession.. I will pick and choose the ONLY one that can back up my non-existent point and help me clutch that straw even tighter.. "correct" indeed.. 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think you actually both agree. India being number 1 reflects that over the past 4 years (or however many years are taken into consideration), they have achieved the best results. What Marcuss is arguing (and I agree) is that a team's ranking performance does not reflect how good they are right now.

Hypothetical. India win the World Cup, Dravid Laxman and Tendulkar all ride into the sunset and Zaheer injures himself in the IPL. India will still travel to England ranked ahead of their opponents, but would you seriously argue in that hypothetical scenario that India were the better team going into the series?
lol.. but England could conceivably be without their main players too...

As I said, whatever it may be, I expect close series between the sides.. And I expect them to be the top 2 sides for a while.. The last sentence would be more hope than expectation though, in all honesty.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's alright, if he does then people will write him off based on some other nonsense criteria.

Steyn has a poor series against Pakistan, it's ok, the pitches were flat. Jimmy puts in some world class performances on flat Australian decks, the Aussie batting line up isn't Test class. Jimmy slaughters Pakistan at home, it was the conditions being helpful/Pakistan aren't Test class.
He is the Sehwag among bowlers, tbh.. :p