• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
First off, we don't need to watch how 4 bowlers go when only 2 of them will play Tests at any time.

Second, quite clearly an Ashes win won't go to this side's head, seeing as we achieved it 18 months ago.
Didn't know Tremlett, Bresnan and Finn were part of the squad in 2009...

And firstly, I meant to say how EACH of them progressed, which is important considering AT LEAST one will play as the second bowler.. :dry:

FBU

International Debutant
English conditons since 2007 (highest innings in each Test)

Lords - 553, 298, 319, 593, 377, 425, 505, 334, 446
Headingley - 570, 522, 445, 349
OT - 394, 381, 419,
Riverside - 400, 569,
TB - 481, 364, 354
Oval - 664, 318, 373, 308
Edgbaston - 363, 376, 296
Cardiff - 674

Since 2007 econ of bowlers at

Edgbaston
Asif 2.34, Broad 2.57, Anderson 2.68, Aamer 2.83, Hilfenhaus 3.63, Siddle 4.13, Morkel, 4.28, Johnson 4.38

Headingley
Aamer 2.78, Morkel 3.05, Asif 3.12, Siddle 3.25, Hilfenhaus 3.27, Anderson 3.62, Steyn 3.72, Broad 3.86, Johnson 4.04

Oval
Khan 2.16, Aamer 2.97, Asif 3.13, Sreesanth 3.16, Broad 3.34, Morkel 3.45, Anderson 3.54, Siddle 3.78, Hilfenhaus 3.92, RP Singh 3.93, Johnson 4.03
Lords
Anderson 2.72, Hilfenhaus 3.02, Khan 3.04, Steyn 3.34, Aamer 3.38, Sreesanth 3.39, Asif 3.43, RP Singh 3.49, Broad 3.52, Morkel 3.55, Siddle 3.96, Johnson 4.57

Trent Bridge Aamer 1.90, Sreesanth 2.30, Khan 2.79, Anderson 2.83, Asif 3.02, Broad 3.25, RP Singh 3.85

I have left out OT, Cardiff and CLS as they haven't had that many Tests there in recent years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Waiting to see your boys perform without Anderson first... I think it is easy to dismiss how crucial "the top" bowler is.. We may have gone equally well with Munaf and Agarkar instead of Ishant and Sree here.. The point is that the numero uno bowler is the one who makes the difference.
Anderson wasn't great at Perth or 2nd dig at the MCG and we still skittled Australia. We're not as reliant on Anderson as you are on Zaheer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
South Africa and India's best players are better than their English counterparts, but their weaknesses are weaker than England's.

England have a much stronger bowling attack than both sides though.
Really really do not think the attack is special minus Anderson and Swann.. And the same would work for BOTH India and RSA bowling attacks.. As I said, we need to wait and see if these performances by Bresnan, Broad, Finn etc are really their usual or just their peaks...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Didn't know Tremlett, Bresnan and Finn were part of the squad in 2009...

And firstly, I meant to say how EACH of them progressed, which is important considering AT LEAST one will play as the second bowler.. :dry:
If we go with an attack of Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, Swann, then how Bresnan and Finn go is irrelevant.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Anderson wasn't great at Perth or 2nd dig at the MCG and we still skittled Australia. We're not as reliant on Anderson as you are on Zaheer.
lol.. neither was Zak exactly at his best in this test and we still won.. He was not even fully fit, as a matter of fact, as endorsed by all commentators on air at the time...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Really really do not think the attack is special minus Anderson and Swann.. And the same would work for BOTH India and RSA bowling attacks.. As I said, we need to wait and see if these performances by Bresnan, Broad, Finn etc are really their usual or just their peaks...
Take Steyn and Morkel away from South Africa, Zaheer and Harbhijan and Anderson and Swann away from their respective attacks and replace them with hacks. Who has the better attack? England, without a shadow of a doubt.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If we go with an attack of Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, Swann, then how Bresnan and Finn go is irrelevant.
yeah but how Tremlett and Broad go IS relevant.. And I am just saying that when there is a chance that definitely one of the 4 would be playing, it makes sense to wait and watch how all 4 develop, considering it will be one or two of them in the side when the series we are talking about eventually happens.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Take Steyn and Morkel away from South Africa, Zaheer and Harbhijan and Anderson and Swann away from their respective attacks and replace them with hacks. Who has the better attack? England, without a shadow of a doubt.
That is your opinion.. I don't really think it is true at all.. I think all are equally crap, tbh.. And I don't see Bresnan or Finn or Tremlett being a threat in India, AT ALL... Even if they are good with the reverse swing...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We are just as reliant on Zaheer as you are on Anderson.. :p

Seriously speaking, what I meant is that it is one thing to have the leader of the pack in the game physically but not quite doing well and quite another when he is missing the game completely.

TBF, Anderson manages to stay injury free far more than Zak and deserves credit for that. And that is a big plus for England too...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nonsense. I'd live to see the Indian batting line-up facing Tremlett on a lively pitch. He'd be unplayable if he was bowling well.
Our batsmen are unbeatable when they are playing well too.. :p Really, statements like that prove nothing.. What makes you so sure he will be bowling well when the series happens, even? :)

masterblaster

International Captain
Can't be bothered to read through the entire thread but it's a bit ambitious of Gough to say that England can beat India any day of the week. I think it's just a case of wanting to be in the headlines on Darren's part. England are a very good side at the moment with a lot of depth which is wonderful to see however I can't see them beating India when playing in India.

Considering also that we beat England in England back in 2007 and beat England again in India in 2008 with pretty much the same personnel playing currently I can't really agree with Gough. Although a contest between Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman against Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett and Swann would be fantastic to watch.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
yeah but how Tremlett and Broad go IS relevant.. And I am just saying that when there is a chance that definitely one of the 4 would be playing, it makes sense to wait and watch how all 4 develop, considering it will be one or two of them in the side when the series we are talking about eventually happens.
headbangingagainstwall.jpg

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That is your opinion.. I don't really think it is true at all.. I think all are equally crap, tbh.. And I don't see Bresnan or Finn or Tremlett being a threat in India, AT ALL... Even if they are good with the reverse swing...
ngngngngngngngngngng

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ngngngngngngngngngng
look, you obviously think England bowling > India even in Indian conditions.. I disagree.. We will just wait and see when the series happens. As things stand, there is a very good chance that the series will never happen with these same bowlers playing and we will never know.. :)