• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It matters. India have never won a series in SA. There is a reason for that, even if individual faces sometimes change within teams.
Yes, but it would be wrong to say that there are many similarities between the current England side and the sides that got absolutely pulverised by the Aussies on a regular occurence. Their mentality is just so much different.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd back the Indian batsmen against Swann. I don't thin Bhajji will do much either, mind you, so it's probably even there.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, I'd disagree with that. Harris is not that bad, and the third seamer is worse but Steyn...WAFG.

But the difference would still make up for it, and I'd take the SA batting lineup as well.
Harris is another one I've defended, but the difference between Harris and Swann is much greater than the difference between Anderson and Steyn. Even making that trade alone weakens England's attack enough to make the trade not worth it.

Any of the English quicks who have played this series would comfortably walk into South Africa's side as the 3rd quick. It says it all for South Africa's strength in depth that Kallis is their 3rd best seam bowler. Morkel for Tremlett doesn't improve the side at all, and Morkel is worse than Anderson.

If you want an example of why a team is no better than its weakest link, you only need to look at the Melbourne Test. Siddle charged in for 33 overs and took 6/75 - a fantastic effort. Yet England managed to pile on 513 runs, because Siddle's supporting cast bowled a wide variety of ****e. England bowled Australia out for 98 and 258 despite no bowler taking more than 4 wickets in an innings or 6 for the match.

Bun

Banned
A team is only as strong as its weakest link.

Look at the performances of the bowling attacks all series. Siddle carried the Aussie attack at Brisbane, they were all dire at Adelaide, Johnson and Harris wrecked us at Perth, and only Siddle again stood up at Melbourne. Australia's bowling in virtually every innings has relied on one man being the main wrecking ball - Siddle twice, Johnson and Harris have all claimed 6-for in the series.

Whereas with the exception of the first innings of Brisbane, England have consistently dismissed Australia cheaply without any of their bowlers having a really outstanding series. It's been the theme all tour from the first tour match - all of the bowlers are chipping in to contribute without relying on any one of them pulling a magic spell out of their arse - only Finn, Swann and Tremlett have taken a Michelle.

As PEWS said, the only weak link in the side is Collingwood's batting, and even then, what Collingwood brings in the field to a degree compensates for his batting failures. Compare England to India - there's question marks over both openers in conditions where the ball does a bit, Dravid may or may not be over the hill, Ganguly hasn't been replaced adequately yet at 6, and their bowling attack bar Zaheer is a complete joke.
Funny you are analysing Indian batsmen according to their ability to adjust to tough South African conditions and yet completely discount Indian bowlers who rolled over South Africa for 131 and 210.

Am not saying the Durban test is the ultimate indicator of how good the Indian bowling is after how it was in just the preceding test, but the same applies to England's humiliting capitulation in Perth as well. Atleast Indians had the excuse of turning up from the airport directly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, but it would be wrong to say that there are many similarities between the current England side and the sides that got absolutely pulverised by the Aussies on a regular occurence. Their mentality is just so much different.
No one said there are many similarities. But there are reasons why certain countries tend to perform the way they do over a long period of time. I'd back that until proven otherwise.

India have never had someone as good as Zaheer bowl in South Africa. But until they win, it doesn't really matter how good their paper strength is.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If England are 'slight' favorites in England, India must be substantial favorites in India. I am not sure if Gough was only talking about England, but assuming he was, I still don't see any justification for 'every day of the week' comment.
Think your advantage at home is overstated tbh. We've shown what he can do on flattish wickets against prank seam bowlers. Even if Zaheer does account for the the odd one man show (ala Siddle x2, Johnson, Harris) I don't have too many fears over Sree/Ishant/Umadkat/Ojha

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Swann will be a weak link for Eng when he plays against India or Sri Lanka. Even this Aus side which is having a horrid batting time has not given him too many wickets.
The difference is that he's hardly been a weak link. Kept things tight in the first dig at Adelaide, and took 5 when the deck started taking spin. Bowled 22 overs for 23 runs on the 3rd day and got rid of Michael Clarke despite the deck giving him absolutely nothing.

I don't think he'll get much out of the Indian batting lineup, but equally he wont' be a weak link by releasing pressure and offering India mountains of free runs while the quicks rest.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Harris is another one I've defended, but the difference between Harris and Swann is much greater than the difference between Anderson and Steyn.
Completely and utterly DWTA.

Any of the English quicks who have played this series would comfortably walk into South Africa's side as the 3rd quick.
Yes.

If you want an example of why a team is no better than its weakest link, you only need to look at the Melbourne Test. Siddle charged in for 33 overs and took 6/75 - a fantastic effort. Yet England managed to pile on 513 runs, because Siddle's supporting cast bowled a wide variety of ****e. England bowled Australia out for 98 and 258 despite no bowler taking more than 4 wickets in an innings or 6 for the match.
I've never disputed that England have less holes than other sides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really see what relevance teams from years ago has to the current team..
Agreed. No-one's claiming that England have really done that much of note yet; merely that they have the personnel and overall team balance to do so. Gough's an idiot and I think everyone can agree he made a fool out of himself, but I thought I'd turn this thread into something a bit more productive and bring the argument in a bit towards a more reasonable level.

I'd back India in India and England in England. Controversial I know...

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Think your advantage at home is overstated tbh. We've shown what he can do on flattish wickets against prank seam bowlers. Even if Zaheer does account for the the odd one man show (ala Siddle x2, Johnson, Harris) I don't have too many fears over Sree/Ishant/Umadkat/Ojha
We shall see is all I can say. Trying to imagine a scenario where India lose a series at home to England, but I can't see one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Funny you are analysing Indian batsmen according to their ability to adjust to tough South African conditions and yet completely discount Indian bowlers who rolled over South Africa for 131 and 210.
How did the weak links in India's attack do in Durban? Ishant took 2/78, which is abysmal in the circumstances. Sreesanth took 4/86, which is better. However both men copped an absolute pasting at Centurion, which changes nothing - a team is only as good as its weakest link. In Ishant and Sreesanth, India have two massive weaknesses in their bowling attack.

Blaze 18

Banned
I don't really see what relevance teams from years ago has to the current team..
Let us get this straight - England can beat India every day of the week, but England haven't beaten India for nearly a decade and a half. Something doesn't quite add up, eh ? Yeah, you could argue that series that happened ages ago aren't terribly relevant to the discussion at hand, but the most recent series, namely the ones in 2007 and 2008, do have some relevance.

I am not even trying to suggest that England are not a quality side, mind you; I would be stupid to do that. Like I mentioned in another thread, I feel England have a very good chance to become the number one side in two years time. However, beating the current Indian side wouldn't be a walk in the park for England, even at home. And while both would start favourites at home, I would back India to put up a much better show in England than England in India.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We shall see is all I can say. Trying to imagine a scenario where India lose a series at home to England, but I can't see one.
Well I don't see you as "Substantial favourites". Unhelpful pitches and a **** bowling attack against our batsmen won't see you win too many, no matter how many runs you make.

You were a correct lbw decision away from drawing to Australia at home, who we've then gone and comprehensively outplayed in their backyard.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Completely outbowled Harbhajan in his debut series and ripped Sri Lanka to pieces in ODIs.
He won't be a weak link at all. The Australian's haven't gifted him heaps of wickets but he's playing on the least spin friendly decks in the world and he's not actually been needed all that much and when he was he took a 5fer.
Why bring ODIs into this? Swann will be dealt with better than India/Lankan batsmen better than the English deal with India/Lankan spinners. Lets face it Swann has not bowled well against either side in tests.