• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have we been duped about oiling bats ?

Rampage

Cricket Spectator
Im just asking the question

If you go to youtube and search for Millichamp oiling his bats , the man uses ALOT of oil , whereas we were always taught to use minimal oil

I am beginning to think theres a bit of creating a market type of thinking going on with bat retailers&makers.They WANT you to not over oil,thereby significantly reducing the lifespan of your bat - so you can go buy another bat.Because remember,a bat is an investment , its not like milk&bread where you buy everyday - so hence these ppl need you to come back &buy .Julian seems different , he sounds like a hugely passionate person about cricket therefore doesnt care to let secrets out

Im not sure

I mean if you have Julian Millichamp telling you this method , guess what - Im doing what the CHAMP says !

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah who'd have thought people would have better things to do than engage in unfounded speculation about the great bat oil conspiracy, remorselessly encouraging frugal oil usage so our bats would split.

That said, Millichamp does know his bats.

Rampage

Cricket Spectator
Yeah who'd have thought people would have better things to do than engage in unfounded speculation about the great bat oil conspiracy, remorselessly encouraging frugal oil usage so our bats would split.

That said, Millichamp does know his bats.
It does matter , in that we spend thousands on cricket bats.....who ever calls it a trivial matter has a few screws loose

And if you find it useless to speak on these things , then also find it useless to post on ANY thread

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
But in all seriousness, it is fairly unanimous that bats do rot if over oiled. I speak from experience. I don't think there's much to argue here. You can try and test it for yourself. I obviously wouldn't recommend it, especially in lead up to an important game as it ruins its performance.

Top_Cat

It does matter , in that we spend thousands on cricket bats.....who ever calls it a trivial matter has a few screws loose
That's not what I said. How much oil to use is important, no doubt. To extend that to suggest that bat makers are engaged in some sort of plot to encourage people to under-oil, break their bats and therefore be forced to buy another bat is, for mine, crazy.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That's not what I said. How much oil to use is important, no doubt. To extend that to suggest that bat makers are engaged in some sort of plot to encourage people to under-oil, break their bats and therefore be forced to buy another bat is, for mine, crazy.
Doesn't sound entirely crazy. Seems entirely plausible when other areas of commerce rely on this sort of thing for their survival and profit.

Daemon

if bat makers reduced the quality of their own product they would probably not get customers buying their bats again because of the poor quality.

Top_Cat

Doesn't sound entirely crazy. Seems entirely plausible when other areas of commerce rely on this sort of thing for their survival and profit.
Doubt it greatly. Most decent bat-makers even pre-oil and knock-in specifically to avoid the situation where people split their new Gray Nicks in the first week, (arguably) not to match-readiness but enough so it'll last in the nets where even the laziest cricketer (read: me) will accidentally get them ready for match play.

The solution definitely is not to drown them in linseed, though. Best way to deaden a blade.

Top_Cat

if bat makers reduced the quality of their own product they would probably not get customers buying their bats again because of the poor quality.
Yep. Distinctly remember several bad batches of, funnily enough, M&H. They were quite good about replacing them, though.

Rampage

Cricket Spectator
They is always a case of "creating your own market" in business>Having them come back for more.Remember theres no money in the cure , but theres unlimited amount of money to be made in the medicine 8-)

True, ppl can say im not buying that product again

However , remember they DO tell you to oil , just not that much.So they WILL last , we know that. , even for a little long period theyll last

Also ppl wont be put off buying Grey nicols , GM , Kookas etc they all have good market footings and are widely recognised.And as usual theyl always be the great relaible line that "wood is a natural product" and can be broken

Millichamp , is a KING batmaker and he says that oiling more increases bats lifespan.....well i would tend to believe millchamp

I dunno whats true , im just asking - and putting the thought out there