• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Even Bangladeshis would 'walk into' Australian team : Jamie Siddons

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Better players than Tammim have come to Australia and been found seriously wanting. Shakib is a different story, probably not at 6 though as he would suggest, but he would be better than Smith, who incidentally at this stage in his career in my opinion is also not a number 6, but will be in time. If you read his article he also suggested that he is keen to play Australia and they are climbing the rankings ladder. There is little to suggest that during his regime that things have improved as much as he has suggested. Or in fact that Australia are bad enough to lose to Bangladesh.
IIRC Aussies had tough times in BD last time they toured (back in Rafique, Bashar days). Many teams including India had survived a scare against them in their home turf. Yeah, I won't expect any major upsets, but still would be no way a one sided affair imo.

And I don't recall many openers being better than Tamim? (katman aside) Shakib would walk into the team purely as a spinner. His test batting's not that good atm but still is alright.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
My point about Tammim was more that he's still rather green in test cricket, and i'd like to see him tested against a wider variety of conditions and opposition before agreeing that he would walk into the Australian team. Don't get me wrong, I watched the hundreds he made in England, and they were outstanding, with little support as well. But to compare him to Sehwag at this stage is an extremely long bow.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
My point about Tammim was more that he's still rather green in test cricket, and i'd like to see him tested against a wider variety of conditions and opposition before agreeing that he would walk into the Australian team. Don't get me wrong, I watched the hundreds he made in England, and they were outstanding, with little support as well. But to compare him to Sehwag at this stage is an extremely long bow.
He compared his style of batting with Sehwag (as in "Sehwag type"). Don't think he meant a direct comparison there tbf.

And he's proved enough to make it to the current XI comfortably with tons against India, England and WI (Roach, Sami) IMO.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
That's like making a comparison between Johnson and Sehwag.

I have to seriously disagree, in no way am I convinced that Tammim, with a test average of 40, which is passable, is better than Watson, Katich, Jaques, or even Hughes, Rogers, Klinger or Marsh. People only remember his because of the way he makes his runs, if he batted like Katich we probably wouldn't be talking about it

M0rphin3

International Debutant
That's like making a comparison between Johnson and Sehwag.

I have to seriously disagree, in no way am I convinced that Tammim, with a test average of 40, which is passable, is better than Watson, Katich, Jaques, or even Hughes, Rogers, Klinger or Marsh. People only remember his because of the way he makes his runs, if he batted like Katich we probably wouldn't be talking about it
Fine. But unfair to say that he gets attention solely coz of his aggressive batting. He made a lot of runs last year at such an awesome strike rate.

And FWIW I have nothing to say if it's the same to you comparing Tamim's and Johnson's style to Sehwag.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
You said the comparison was merely style not me.

More people talk about Sehwag than Dravid, that's just a fact.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
You said the comparison was merely style not me.

More people talk about Sehwag than Dravid, that's just a fact.
True, because Sehwag does get runs and get em quick. And he deserves all the attention he gets.

And yes, but the point is that both are openers, gets runs on a consistent basis at a damn impressive s/r. There aren't many openers who scores consistently at that s/r, is there? Thought that was obvious.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
:huh: He's not a poor keeper at all. What makes you say that?
Completely agree. That tour of Sri Lanka a few years a go he was an embarrassment, in comparison to now where he's been pretty faultless for over two years.

He's never going to be a keeper of Jack Russell/Mark Boucher stature but for me he's bordering on being better than Alec Stewart as a package which in my eyes is a hell of an achievement from where he's came from.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Prior actually did get dropped at one point despite the fact that he was averaging about 43 with the bat at the time; his keeping was so poor. I thought you would've known that because Ambrose was his replacement and he rescued England from the mire against New Zealand shortly after coming into the team. :p
Thought it may be an injury.

Refuse to rate Prior until he retires tbh. Even Kamran Akmal has had a few years where he looked like a quality keeper.